What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine upgrade - paperwork

humptybump

Well Known Member
I'm writing a series of blog post detailing an engine upgrade on my RV-8. The posts are not in any particular order.

This post highlights the importance of words - specifically the difference between "certified" and "certificated". In the eyes of the FAA, the difference can be 35 hours of test flying :eek:

http://elder.ninja/blog/p/7480

Image.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad you got the weight of the paperwork low enough for the 8 to get back in the air. ;)

Basically the way the FAA uses the terms is:
Certified means that the device meets it's Type Certificate. Since our aircraft do not have a Type Certificate, typically, they are Certificated, meaning that they have been issued a Certificate.

I read this a few months ago when you posted it, and have to wonder why we?re being given 40 hour initial phase 1?s for fresh builds instead of 25 hrs if we?re using ?certificated? engine/prop combinations. Or are some RV builders successful in applying for and receiving the ahorter fly-off period?
As far as I?m aware, the o-360/Hartzell I?m putting on my 8 came right off of a Mooney. Does that mean I can apply for a 25 hour phase 1 period how would I go about proving it is a type-certificates combination?

I read this a few months ago when you posted it, and have to wonder why we?re being given 40 hour initial phase 1?s for fresh builds instead of 25 hrs if we?re using ?certificated? engine/prop combinations. Or are some RV builders successful in applying for and receiving the ahorter fly-off period?
As far as I?m aware, the o-360/Hartzell I?m putting on my 8 came right off of a Mooney. Does that mean I can apply for a 25 hour phase 1 period how would I go about proving it is a type-certificates combination?

I installed an engine and the prop off a Mooney with all the log books, and received a 25 Hr phase 1 program.

Back