What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installation of Planearound Gearbox Prior to Bonding Door Halves?

steve murray

Well Known Member
I found one builder site "TASRV10" that has some good info on installing the Planearound gearbox prior to bonding the two door halves together. This approach saves cutting a hole in the bottom of the door later. Anybody else done this and have some tips? Even with the tips provided, I am a bit nervous about getting epoxy inside the gearbox?

Plane 'round

Ha! That would be me.

I'd do it again with the precautions I took, but to be honest Steve now I'm a lot further down the road, there is sooooo much more enjoyable fiberglass work to do :)() with the doors and cabin top, I think it would be pretty much the same if you did everything to mount the gearboxes while you had the door halves apart, especially the support blocks each side etc., but then just leave the gearboxes out. Mark the cuts, and then after the door halves are together and you're ready, get to work with a dremel, cut out the bottom, and slide the gearboxes into place. Glassing them in will be quite trivial compared to everything else you're about to do.

Cheers from down under,

Adrian

I looked at that, but decided it would be too tricky to do with all of that epoxy and reasonable speed needed (AZ summer) to do the bonding job. :)

To clean it up I intend replacing the countersunk screws with washer head screws and making a thin metal plate to cover the slot and with a bend over the door edge. I'll simply use the 4 mounting screws to attach it.

The metal plate will just match the plate you need to add to cover the stock handle mechanism.

Last edited:
I had to do a lot of fabrication as I used the hendricks hidden handle and a homemade gearbox. I installed my gearbox before gluing the doors. I just used strategically placed packing tape to protect items from epoxy. It worked out fine. Just be sure to work all of the mechanisms while the epoxy is firm, but still green. This allows any covered items to break free easily and rid the epoxy, if necessary.

Larry

Did the install before bonding. So glad I did. Removed cam unit before bonding and reinstalled afterwards.

I installed it before bonding as well, worked just fine. I didn't do any extra steps to avoid epoxy but also didn't have a ton near there anyway. Just use some good thick stuff. Honestly, I wish I had done the racks and pins as well, but it wasn't too bad working through a 1/2" hole!

Back