What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS spinner fitting

scottmillhouse

Well Known Member
Just finished first round of spinner cutouts for my new Hartzell aluminum CS prop on new IO-360. Combo just received from Vans. The last RV I built with CS I just did the best I could and once flying kept removing more fiberglass until no contact at full pitch. This time with a new engine preserved I don't want to rotate the engine any but I do want to rotate the prop blades to insure clearance. Would it work to rig up compressed air to the engine port to twist the prop and if so how many psi to fully rotate the prop? I plan to finish paint all before first flight so I want to insure proper clearance now before I move forward on cowl fitting.

I connected air to the prop oil line after the governor. It?s been a while but I don?t think it took much air pressure to rotate the prop (25psi maybe). Start low & crank up the pressure til the prop moves.

Low tech approach- 2 padded 2x4s tied together at one end & slipped over the prop blade, use as a lever & give it a twist. Very easy to control blade movement & not damage blade.

Low tech approach- 2 padded 2x4s tied together at one end & slipped over the prop blade, use as a lever & give it a twist. Very easy to control blade movement & not damage blade.

Perfect, Thanks and a lot less mess too I'm sure. Don't know why I did not expect it but about a cup of oil ran out when I removed the front plug and made a mess. I can see a rear plug so I guess even though there was not a governor, since the line was connected engine oil pressure must have forced oil into the crankshaft cavity when Lycoming ran it on the test stand.

This is great info ... trimming my spinner for a CS Hartzell is in my near future. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I connected air to the prop oil line after the governor. It’s been a while but I don’t think it took much air pressure to rotate the prop (25psi maybe). Start low & crank up the pressure til the prop moves.

+1 I used an adapter plate with governor off, and a regulated air supply, started at zero psi. Recommend a particle filter, but no desiccant!! I was not about to use the 2X4 trick on my composite prop, sorry.

Back