What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1 Photos - A walk with VAN down memory lane

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
A pleasant journey down memory lane with Richard VanGrunsven (Van) and his now historic "VanGrunsven RV-1". This album is a collection of photos that Van generously furnished to Friends of the RV-1 for use in accurately restoring his aircraft before presenting it to the EAA Museum at AirVenture 2012. This journey in photos contains many of the iterations Mr. VanGrunsven went through to achieve his ultimate "Total Performance" design - it begins with some of his first mods to the original Stits Playboy S/N 8555, and ends with his "Total Performance" VanGrunsven RV-1 S/N 171. Enjoy!

View Picasa Album >> HERE

img001x.jpg

-

Last edited:
I did a little intell work on the photos today and wrote up how I believe the various modifications were sequenced - going to have van throw darts at it, then we'll let it out. if you study the photos carefully, there are about six different versions of the cowl!

Paul

Paul,
Ask about the fuselages in the snow. The one in the foreground isn't a Playboy....wrong gear, and three bays behind the cockpit, not four.

Excellent work!

Wish I could help in person, but since I can't I made a contribution to the project today. :)

Peter,

Thank you for your support! We need financial support and every donation is VERY important. All donations of $100 or more in goods, services, or cash gets the donor's name in the RV-1 Log Book... yes, the actual RV-1 Log Book. Names (individual, company, foundation, etc.) will be entered into the Airframe Log Book before the aircraft and Logs are delivered to the EAA Museum.

Also, Friends of the RV-1 about much more than just restoring the RV-1 and presenting it to the EAA museum. We're also working on several other projects that I believe the "RV" community will find both exciting and worthwhile. More on these projects will be reported in the next few weeks.

... and Thank You to everyone that follows Peter's lead.

Last edited:
Back