What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-7/7A!!!

Here's mine. Completed late March, 2004, certificated April 6, 2004, I test flew it on April 7, 2004. 0-360 A1A with Hartzell BA C/S prop. Night VFR. 1300 hrs to build over 18 mo. Includes painting, interior, and panel.

Roberta Hegy

p1200004a4ak.jpg

Last edited:
pict of completed plane

looking good as always.

how about some action shots?
taxing, landing? 60 deg bank?

mark

Here's mine, looking sorta like Roberta's

First flight December 2003, painted April 2004.

N747DL_newpaint_pilotinplane.jpg

Fairly traditional IFR panel:

2003-02-16_panel2.jpg

Rhodes Plane

Here's a picture of my completed -7. Its been flying a little over a year. I really just wanted to see how this picture upload thingy works.

dscf00070um.jpg

One more finished 7A

After 3 years and 3,000 hours building a standard kit, it is finished and flies hands off with no trim tabs of any kind needed. It has an Aero Sport O-360 with 10 to 1 pistons and Light Speed ignition. The panel is all electric with a TruTrak autopilot, 2002 Advanced Engine Monitor, Nav-Head, GRT EFIS, Airspeed Indicator, Turn Coordinator, Garmin Audio Panel, Garmin 430, SL 40 radio, and a GTX 330 transponder (love the TIS). In case all goes black, backup consists of Control Vision's Anywhere Map, Anywhere Attitude and Anywhere Weather for NEXRAD downloads. I test flew it 3 months ago and used no chase plane.........none could keep up {;o)
n735rv8dq.jpg

N715ab

N715AB has been flying since May, 90 hours and having a ball.

Gary

pic27uf.jpg

pic30uz.jpg

pic54lo.opt.jpg

N320nw, Rv-7a

Here's a picture of my RV-7A in formation flight about 2 weeks ago.
I first flew on 24 March of this year and now have about 85 hours on it.
(Lost 2 months of Flying in the summer while it was painted.) Flies great and I'm Lovin it!

So keep pounding those rivets because once you start flying you don't want to stop!!!! :)

Marc Bravo

Last edited:
That is one of the most beautiful planes I've seen.

but I just screwed up my company's computer screen using a sharpie to black out that white gizmo on that beautiful engine cowling. :eek:

Formation Flight?? I take it that is you in the left seat??? Here's a little tip that you should never forget.......NEVER....NEVER take your eyes off Lead.....PERIOD!!
Rick Gray in Ohio at the Buffalo Farm - RV6 Sold, RV8 project completed, F1 Rocket AND a Quickbuild RV10 are under construction!!

Hey Rick, you might want to check out the pictures of Marc Bravo's panel on the "show us your panel" thread. He set it up for PIC from the right seat. In the picture of him flying, I see his eyes glued on the plane to his left.

Hey Guys,

Just got back from Paris today and saw the post about watching lead. In my plane the PIC seat is in the right side and I always had lead in sight (if not you breakout or go lost wingman if in WX.) Some background on me. I am a USAF military trained pilot, flew C-141's and then was a T-37B Instructor Pilot at Sheppard
AFB training guys from all over our NATO allies countries in the ENJJPT Pilot training program. (ENJJPT stands for Euro Nato Joint Jet Pilot Training, and is used by all of our Nato Allies). I have alot of hours in formation flying and just love it. That was one of the reasons for building the RV. (I really wanted an 8 bad but my wife will not sit there in the back looking at the back of my head).
So when your #2, your job is to just be there and tell Lead that he's on fire!!! :)
Anyhow, I was 2-ship and 4-ship Lead qualified and we actually flew 3 foot fingertip in the weather!! So if you ever want to go Fly formation just give me a call....It'll be fun.

Thanks for looking at my PICs--I'm really happy with the way the RV turned out, It's a great all around airplane.

Marc Bravo

GaryK, Wow, :eek: Now thats my kinda RV7!! OK...OK I am feeling real generous today......... I will give you $95,000.00 cash Money! :D

Last edited:
The Liberty Ship

The Liberty Ship has about 85 hours and belongs to builder/owner Pat Lee, a member of the Dreamland Squadron at Haller Air Park.
my.php
[/URL]

Phase One-- 23hrs. flown since last tues. I like this view
tail43bc.jpg

Can't stop thinking about where to slice that big tail for the electric trim tab.
inflight18qt.jpg

Last edited:
Awsome Mark

It looks perfect. I have the same itch to scratch with respect to rudder trim. I put on the wedge and it generally fixed the problem but I'm not completely satisfied (too often I look during different flight regimes and the ball is not centered the way it should be). I'm thinking something like the spring arangement Van offers for roll trim. It works very well for me. I just haven't figured out an clean configuration yet.

Bob Axsom

For a simple rudder trim, put a spring from the right rudder pedal to the bracket on the firewall. Adjust the spring to get the tension you want and it will take the place of a tab on the rudder. This worked great on my RV6. I started out with a spring a little too long and just kept cutting it shorter until I got the tension I wanted. I got the spring at Home Depot for around a dollar for a package of two.
(You really don't need any adjustment on the left pedal.)
If you want it adjustable, just hook the spring to a vernier control cable or some kind of lever allowing you to tighten/loosen the spring.

Liberty Ship said:
The Liberty Ship has about 85 hours and belongs to builder/owner Pat Lee, a member of the Dreamland Squadron at Haller Air Park.
my.php
[/URL]

Hi Pat!

My Sport Aviation magazine is open to the page with your plane on it right now!!!

I love the paint scheme! Nice job! Just thought I would say hi!

...and Mark, the view over the turtledeck IS THE BEST!!!

Nice work, guys!

:D CJ

Patriotic

Walt said:
Flying for a little over a year now with 350+ hrs, man is she great!
Seeing your post, I had to immediately stood up and salute my monitor. :D Nice G

Last edited:
72hrs.-- here's my 7A and my niece Gerrica, yesterday at Santa Monica's Typhoon Restaurant. (life is GOOD!!!)
41206045jerricaww5vu.jpg

41206046leftjerrica3wm.jpg

41206047jerricastanding8bo.jpg

Last edited:
N357RV finally painted!

I have been flying since Oct 1, 2005 but I finally got it painted! It's like having a brand new airplane again! I couldn't be happier, everything came out better than expected. Colors - Jetglo Flag Red, Acryglo Phantom Gray, Acryglo Titanium all on Jetglo Matterhorn White. Just in time for OshKosh! See you there!

dsc00655qu4.jpg

dsc00649mx1.jpg

RV7 Painted and finished

While i am not the owner of this RV7, I was allowed to paint it.
I used PPG Blaze Red Pearl, Olympic white, and a Platnium Pearl silver. Clear coat was 2021. I am hoping to get some pics of it in the air soon, perhaps ill let its owner do that....
hope yall enjoy.

John, WICKED NICE JOB!!!

N267RV14.JPG

Doug has a FAQ sheet on how to post pics around here someplace, but here ya go...

Again, nice job!!! Looks GREAT!

control said:
This one will become PC-desktop, amazing!
Could I have more pictures, preferable with wheelpants?
Thank you!! yes i do have some pics of the 7 with its pants on. I will up load them to my website www.airbornekustomz.com in the next few days. I am in the middle of another RV7. this one will be much more radical than the red one.
Thanks again!!
Painter John

Captain_John said:
John, WICKED NICE JOB!!!

N267RV14.JPG

Doug has a FAQ sheet on how to post pics around here someplace, but here ya go...

Again, nice job!!! Looks GREAT!

Thank you very much Captain
I will read the FAQ, if i can find it. Normally i am somewhat computer-lit. new sites always take a bit to learn... Maybe its all the paint fumes.... LOL
Again man, thanks
Ill put the pics of the current RV7 project i am painting on here soon, right now its jsut a big ball of tape and paper...
See ya
Painter John

Here's my painted -7A after 120 hrs

My wife and I chose a basic R/W/B scheme for the -7A. Nothing fancy but it is sharp and was painted for possible resale in mind for a -10 project in the future.

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=paintedrv22ii7.jpg

Jeff Cales of Custom Aviation in Revenna, Ohio applied the colors. www.customaviation.com.
330-298-9479
The airport for the shop is (29G) and there is quite a bit of experimental activity in the area.

I would definitely work with Jeff again as he is very reasonable and allowed me free access to the shop to do the work that I wanted regarding annual inspection, assembly, etc. The deal was done on a hand shake and the final price was what he quoted me including SS hardware. It's hard to find people like Jeff anymore.

He had a Mooney in the shop when I dropped my plane off that looked like a golf ball from hail damage. When I saw the plane finished it looked brand new!

Jeff - 16G Tiffin OH

N174AS

Heres' my RV7 just out of the paint shop last January. I now have 230 hrs of fun flying and fast cross country trips.
stevenymansrv7cq0.jpg
[/IMG]

image063qu7.jpg
[/IMG]

rvpainttuii1.jpg
[/IMG]

Screaming Eagle RV7

N274USsmall.jpg

RESIZED

http://www.airbornekustomz.com
Here is another RV7 i just finished last month. Been working on it for a while but its finally all painted (well the parts that were ready for paint, were painted with in a week of delivery to my shop) anywho it flew for the first time last week and checked out fine for its owner.

Last edited:
PainterJohn said:
N274USsmall.jpg

RESIZED

http://www.airbornekustomz.com
Here is another RV7 i just finished last month. Been working on it for a while but its finally all painted (well the parts that were ready for paint, were painted with in a week of delivery to my shop) anywho it flew for the first time last week and checked out fine for its owner.

I saw this plane today at KCXO. Hands down, best paint job I've seen in person.

rvwannabe said:
I saw this plane today at KCXO. Hands down, best paint job I've seen in person.

Many thanks!!! People ask which of the ones ive painted are my favorite... so far its this one!
That is until the Radial Rocket is ready for paint!!! Thanks again Steve!!!

Here it is

Hi fellow builders,

Just wanted to show you our very special bird:

2807taxi2ho6.jpg

More details and pictures on our site.

Last edited:
Ready to Fly

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/484/constuct2079sg0.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2010/constuct2071pj1.jpg

After a year building VH-XPD is ready to fly. Just waiting to have the C of A done this weekend and the paper work processed.
Following are " Bondi Babe's" specs;

Serial #: 72804. QB
Construction Locations: Bondi NSW AU, Wedderburn NSW AU.
Weight: Empty - 534 kg (wheel pants & fairings) - C of G 2039 mm.
Engine: Aero Sport Power IO-360 M1, Lycoming ported and flow matched cylinders, Dual Light Speed Plasma 11 hall effect ignition, Precision Silver Hawk fuel injection, NTP 20004A 10 plate firewall mounted oil cooler.
Propeller: MTV 12B/183-59B
Electrics: Dual Alternator, Dual Battery, Dual Bus, B&C L-40 alt1, B&C SD-20 alt2, 2 x Odyssey PC545 12 amp/hr batts, 2 x Duckworks HID landing/ taxi lights, Whelen position/anti collision lighting, Falcon heated pitot.
Instrumentation/Avionics: Custom Panel (Avionics Systems) IFR, 2 x Garmin GNS-430W Nav/Com/GPS, AFS AF-3500 EE EFIS/EE, Tru Track DG11/VSGV FP Autopilot (Auto pitch control), Garmin GTX-327 Transponder, PS Engineering PMA-8000B audio panel, MD200-306 CDI, AFS 3 series AOA, AK 450 ELT, ACK A30-8 encoder, Castleberry electric gyro 300-14EL, United Altimeter 10-10933, UMA ASI T16-311-240, Davtron M800-14, SIRS compass, Guardian 353 CO monitor.
Antennas: Comant CI-159C VHF nav vert stab mounted, 2 x Comant CI-122 VHF com belly mounted, RAMI AV-569 marker beacon, RAMI AV-22 transponder.
Interior: Classic Aero Designs Aviator seat, panel & carpet set, RAC G307/5 stick grips, Hooker 5 point rotary buckle harness.
Internal Paint/Primer: Stewart Systems primer sealer, EkoCoat one part poly topcoat.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Urban Warbird"

Yes, the plan was to mix glossy black with matte very dark grey, and then some high gloss polished aluminium details together with the red "flame", to add contrast. My plan was to get a cross-over between a Ferrari and a Skateboard. ;) We think it worked out really well and gives the plane an "Urban Warbird" look and feel.

I like the "Urban Warbird"! The contrast of flat, polished, and gloss looks great. The large lettering on the panel is unique touch too.

Danny

Last edited:
Back