What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crackling on Reception

lr172

Well Known Member
My 430W has worked very well over the last 6 months, however, just recently I started getting some crackling/interference on almost every reception. The range is still solid and have experienced no issues receiving any transmission, including enroute center frequencies over x-country. There is an occasional transmission that comes in without the crackling, but it is rare. The crackling is not enough to prevent hearing the transmission, but it is annoying. I have not yet asked if there is a problem with my transmission, but have not heard a single complaint from ATC or other pilots. The squelch has never been broken from this and I have noticed it happening when I know that I am close to other planes or a tower. Though it is universally less severe when close.

My other radio (KY-96) does not exhibit this behavior, but I don't like using it as it has no sidetone and I don't like not hearing my voice on transmissions (I haven't really dug into why it doesn't work as it is my backup and don't transmit on it much).

I flew through the rain the other day and I think this is when it started. However, I don't believe that I get any leakage in the area of the 430W and had no other issues with the radio, including shooting an approach with it.

I am currently thinking it's an antenna ground issue, but haven't really dug into it yet. I re-torqued all of the bolts during my condition inspection a couple of months ago.

I will swap antenna's before my next flight to see if the problem follows it.

I appreciate any guidance from the experts.

Larry

I am currently thinking it's an antenna ground issue, but haven't really dug into it yet. I re-torqued all of the bolts during my condition inspection a couple of months ago.

I agree that it sounds like an antenna ground issue, but I would suspect the cable ends more than the antenna itself. Make sure that the shielding is making good contact with the connector.

ignition wires? Loose connection?

Could be wires - I know it is on mine - but it's not bad enough to spend an AMU on new wires & plugs. I'll change to auto plugs when this set wears out, and change to plug adapters and auto wires at the same time.

Made up as many as I could on the new build today (ran out of wire - ordered more), so now I know how to make the best wires available (MSD 8.5mm) - why buy the overpriced aviation stuff?

How do I know it's wires on my bird? The crackle follows the engine RPM...

Might check your plug/wire connection for tightness, and inside the plug top end for contamination too.

Best,
Mark

Could be wires - I know it is on mine - but it's not bad enough to spend an AMU on new wires & plugs. I'll change to auto plugs when this set wears out, and change to plug adapters and auto wires at the same time.

Made up as many as I could on the new build today (ran out of wire - ordered more), so now I know how to make the best wires available (MSD 8.5mm) - why buy the overpriced aviation stuff?

How do I know it's wires on my bird? The crackle follows the engine RPM...

Might check your plug/wire connection for tightness, and inside the plug top end for contamination too.

Best,
Mark

Bingo!!! Thank you!!

I have one EI and was running the Autolite 386 plugs (only 18mm plug with a resistor). While I had no problems, I felt that the plugs were too hot (ceramic cones were running a bit too white for my comfort) and decided to try the NGK AB-8's. Those are non-resistor plugs, so I bought new connectors that had the 5K resistor in them. I made this change before my last flight and forgot that when trying to find reasons for the noise.

It is possible that I didn't get the connectors on properly (They have a screw in design instead of crimps) or they simply aren't a reasonable alternative to resistor plugs for eliminating noise. However, all plugs are firing and still able to run 100 LOP without issue, so probably not a botched installation.

I feel so foolish for not remembering that I made that change when trying to figure this out.

Thanks again and I'll post the final results on this plug configuration, as it represents a good option to avoid those 18 - 14mm bushings.

Larry

Last edited:
Had a 4 hour flight today. In flight I killed the EI and the problem vanished. I guess the idea of resistor caps as a substitute for resistor plugs is a fantasy.

Larry

Back