What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Garmin G5 Install Denver area

dbegeman

Hey,

I am looking for help with installing two Garmin G5?s in my RV-6A. Any help or pointers would be appreciated. I am replacing my old attitude gyro and HSI. My plane is based in KBJC (Denver CO area).

Thanks,
Dan

It is so simple even I could do it. All you need it tubing the same size as existing pitot/static system and the fittings to connect to the G5s and T into the pitot/static lines, that and 12v. After I got it hooked up I used a blower to check that it was hooked up right.

IIRC, if you really want the HSI function, you need to also install the GMU 11?? Magnometer. The GMU 11 needs power, ground, and connects to the G5(s) via the CAN bus. If you want the G5 to fail-over to the "other" function, then they must be connected via the CAN bus...which you should wire up any way.

Each G5 has its own GPS Receiver and internal antenna. To get magnetic heading information you need the external GMU 11.

Can I run both G5's and the GMU off the same power supply/CB or does each one need its own dedicated CB?

IIRC, if you really want the HSI function, you need to also install the GMU 11?? Magnometer. The GMU 11 needs power, ground, and connects to the G5(s) via the CAN bus. If you want the G5 to fail-over to the "other" function, then they must be connected via the CAN bus...which you should wire up any way.

Each G5 has its own GPS Receiver and internal antenna. To get magnetic heading information you need the external GMU 11.

Haven't had a chance to try the G5 in the RV-3 but the G5 in my Citabria works fine on the HSI page with no external antenna.

I have the G5's installed. So I removed the vacuum powered ADI and DG and now want to remove the vacuum pump and associated hoses, what I need to know is, once I remove the vacuum pump is there a plate that goes where the pump was? And if so where would I get it? I have a Lycoming O-360 A1A.

try searching for Cover - Vacuum Pump - SL60430. Many vendors including ACS. And order the appropriate gasket.

Just finished installing a G5 as standalone in my -6. Don't forget, please don't ask how I know it, to calibrate the units according the installation manual...

Also do a dynamic leak check, for this you can just use a medical syringe and some tubing. Go easy on the syringe and be careful for sudden leaks, could ruin your standbys if any left. Max leak rate if I recall correctly, 10kts/minute.

Last edited:
"Haven't had a chance to try the G5 in the RV-3 but the G5 in my Citabria works fine on the HSI page with no external antenna."

Without the magnemometer the G5 in HSI mode will display track and not magnetic heading.

Back