What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 9/9A project!

David,

Another question for you (thanks for posting the pics...). I see that you installed the ' Almost a -14 Mod'. I have done so as well. How do you plan to close/latch the right side of your canopy? I am not too sure about all the additional connections and linkages introduced by moving the long torque tube aft from its factory designed position. I am looking for alternatives and may just go with an independent latch on that right side corner of the canopy. What are your plans?

Thanks in advance - enjoy your Sunday!

Lars

Lars,
I hadn't really thought about doing anything differently than what the instructions show on Antisplat.com. Now you've got me thinking about it though!

Vlad, Is this what you're looking for?
2guhycm.jpg
[/IMG]
hvqdc0.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes David thank you!

Wingtip lenses with Flyleds

Trimmed and installed my wingtip lenses and had to set the flyleds in there to see how it looks. Very cool I say!!!!! My wiring/electrical items order from Stein is coming tomorrow so I can fire them up for the first time with 12 volts. Can't wait!! Need to mount the wings for the first time so trying to finish them up. Monday marked my 1 year anniversary working on the fuse.
i38i8p.jpg
[/IMG]

Scott,
Actually I haven't attached them yet. They're just laying in there. I am planning on small screws and nutplates. I figure 2 per board should do it. I could take the easy way out and use double sided tape but wanted them to be easily removable just in case.

Man it's cold!!!

Left wing bottom skin on!! 12 degrees outside and I'm riveting the right wing bottom skin in my unheated garage. Tired of waiting for warmer weather. Let's Git er Done!!!
nzhri0.jpg
[/IMG]
2dm8hau.jpg
[/IMG]

dwranda, you are a hearty soul! I found 20F was my lower limit for working in unheated space .... my upper body was fine, but the floor was seemingly 20F lower than that.... my feet became smallish blocks of ice.:(
Good on ya for pressing on!!!

dwranda, you are a hearty soul! I found 20F was my lower limit for working in unheated space .... my upper body was fine, but the floor was seemingly 20F lower than that.... my feet became smallish blocks of ice.:(
Good on ya for pressing on!!!

My nose and hands got cold. Can't really wear gloves doing rivets. I have a goal of being done in 2019 so I can't afford to take 6 months off for cold weather. Finding an engine could hold me up a bit if I don't buy new. Planning on doing the quick panel from Dynon.

wing skins on!!

Right wing bottom skins on. Both wings skins are now done. Enlisted the wife for some of the harder to reach ones. This is one small milestone I've been looking forward to. It was warm today in the garage. 38 degrees
2ymu4oy.jpg
[/IMG]
2ijrckw.jpg
[/IMG]

Wings on for the first time!

With a nice 45 degree sunny day here in WNY what should we do? How about pull an airplane out of the garage and slap some wings on it. Things went fairly smoothly thanks to the many build sites I frequent. Had some help from my wife Linda and a fellow RV enthusiast Dave Borkowski. Dave recently flew with Vic in the 14A and is getting his shop together. He will be ordering kits soon.
5o6zd3.jpg
[/IMG]
zluo1d.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally

The day finally arrived for me to get down to Superior Air Parts and build my O-320. Pretty impressive facility. I'm also VERY impressed with the improvements Superior as made to their engine cases and cylinders.

Started around 9am this morning and by 5pm we had all 4 cylinders in place.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Inspecting tolerances

They still use silk thread... really???

One cylinder in place

A day's work

The crank shaft we started with had a little defect on it, so they insisted on replacing it. Took a little while to locate a new one in inventory, but the replacement was perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, that looks like it would be a ton of fun. Very cool to see a positive review of an engine build.

Finish kit has arrived!!!

My finish kit was delivered today. I was a little worried when I saw the crate since it had 3 holes in the side. I took plenty of pics as I opened the crate to check for damage. Luckily it looks like everything is OK. I deleted the cowl since I am going with the James version. Doesn't look like many parts for over $6K. Super excited and a little worried to get going on the canopy.
mw5elv.jpg
[/IMG]
20rl3wp.jpg
[/IMG]
23r5v7p.jpg
[/IMG]
2j1aau8.jpg
[/IMG]

Canopy mechanisms with almost a 14 anti splat mod

Started the canopy mechanisms. First pic is the release hardware. I'm shortening the release handle to attach to the sub panel like many others do.
20891kk.jpg
[/IMG]
Next pics are the almost a 14 mod from Anti Splat Aero. Never mind any strange bolts you see in the pics. They are just temporary to hold it together until I order the right ones.
mres1i.jpg
[/IMG]
keuezb.jpg
[/IMG]
qqohh3.jpg
[/IMG]
Next on the agenda is the canopy frame.

I have done the almost 14 mod as well. I saw you used a neat bushing where the canopy latch is going through the flap actuator cover. Where did you get that ?

I have done the almost 14 mod as well. I saw you used a neat bushing where the canopy latch is going through the flap actuator cover. Where did you get that ?

It's just a 3/4" rubber grommet from harbor freight. It came in one of their plastic boxes with a bunch of other sizes. I actually destroyed one first thinking I had to cut it a certain way to fit it. In reality I just had to pop it in without modifying it. Just had to make sure the hole in the metal was big enough. There was only 2 in the kit so now I have to find another one or buy another kit just for that one grommet. It is a nice finished look though vs just having the hole there.

Another Milestone

Got my engine hung today with my son. LOTS of bad words were expressed trying to attach the engine to the dynafocal mount, but finally managed it... whew!

Last edited:
Got my engine hung today. LOTS of bad words were expressed trying to attach the engine to the dynafocal mount, but finally managed it... whew!

I think you will like that engine. The oil will stay clean for 50 hrs at a time. You will ask yourself, why in the heck am I changing the oil, but just do it. Check out a sump riser for the carb if you plane to use MS.

Last edited:
Engine mount isolaters

Do not forget: the Lord or Barry rubber isolaters should be opposite on the bottom mounts from the top mounts. This is because the static compression on the mount rubbers is opposite on the bottom rubbers from the top set of rubbers. One is designed for compression in each set make sure you have them in their proper position!

Got my engine hung today with my son. LOTS of bad words were expressed trying to attach the engine to the dynafocal mount, but finally managed it... whew!

I was dreading this op. I heard the horror stories. And, never being in the Navy, I expected that I didn't have proper vocabulary to get the baby hung successfully.

However, I came across this post:

http://myrv8.com/2015/08/hanging-the-engine/

Wow; A total non-event using this "bottom first" method. Hung solo, in less than an hour. Highly recommended!

Maybe the issue was with the weird wheel you have under your engine; when do you move it aft ;-)

Congrats on the big milestone!!!

Do not forget: the Lord or Barry rubber isolaters should be opposite on the bottom mounts from the top mounts. This is because the static compression on the mount rubbers is opposite on the bottom rubbers from the top set of rubbers. One is designed for compression in each set make sure you have them in their proper position!

Got ?em - thanks!

Engine hung for the first time!

After a good bit of struggling I finally got the engine hung by myself. My James cowl is coming next week so I wanted to hang it to be able to work on the cowl. I also had to mount the propeller just for fun to see how it looked. I think it looks AWESOME!! I don't have the tail weighted down so still have the shop crane holding the engine weight.
eb1y82.jpg
[/IMG]
2wfpijm.jpg
[/IMG]
fpa736.jpg
[/IMG]

After a good bit of struggling I finally got the engine hung by myself. My James cowl is coming next week so I wanted to hang it to be able to work on the cowl. I also had to mount the propeller just for fun to see how it looked. I think it looks AWESOME!! I don't have the tail weighted down so still have the shop crane holding the engine weight.
eb1y82.jpg
[/IMG]
2wfpijm.jpg
[/IMG]
fpa736.jpg
[/IMG]

Look at this! What a perfect morning news and motivation!

Congrats Dave! I hung my engine a few months ago, and am now working to fit the baffles and cowls. I had no problem with a "heavy nose" yet but I haven't put the prop on yet. I have a 5 gal bucket full of water (~40lbs) strapped where the emp should be to keep the TW on the ground.

eb1y82.jpg
[/IMG]
2wfpijm.jpg
[/IMG]
fpa736.jpg
[/IMG]

Good stuff. I hope to do that soon myself.
Don?t want to be a Debby downer, but I assume it?s temporary as I did notice that the FW penetrations are not done. The recess riveting will also be a PITA with the engine mounted.

Thanks everyone!! Yes I will be pulling the engine off to do the firewall insulation and penetrations. At this point I plan on leaving the mount and engine together assuming I can do what needs to be done to the engine with the mount on. After I get the cowl all set I will figure out the holes on the firewall then remove the mount and engine to do the firewall goodies.

From the pictures, it looks like you?re setup for ?sikaflexing? the canopy. That?s nearly as fun as hanging engines ......

From the pictures, it looks like you?re setup for ?sikaflexing? the canopy. That?s nearly as fun as hanging engines ......

Good eye!! I am all ready to go with the Sika. I'm just waiting and hoping for a good weather day or 2. Temps in the 40's aren't going to cut it!

Canopy glued!!

Finally got the canopy glued on with sikaflex. Definitely not as neat of a job as some guys build sites I follow. Now I can take it into my basement and do more detail work on it so it looks better. Then I will fiberglass the front edge. I will be listing the canopy clamps if anyone wants them. I got them from Av8torTom and will pass them along free to whoever wants to use them next.
i5ywxl.jpg
[/IMG]
2hocyo5.jpg
[/IMG]

Awesome!

David,

Looks like it turned out quite well. Glad you were able to pass those clamps on to another builder.

Last edited:
What my darling wife gave me for Christmas! Should be awesome!!

06BA8C9F-9FE5-4DF8-990D-ABDF4418D372_zpsbeybwmbi.jpg

You'll be very happy! These are really good lights, which I bought for my (long way from being completed RV-9). Even tested with a 9V battery they're incredibly bright. You've got a keeper of a wife there!!

Back