What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up Canopy Lift Handle

KatanaPilot

Well Known Member
I've searched but have unable to find what I'm looking for - a nicely made (read CNC) exterior handle for a tip up canopy.

The standard aluminum angle just doesn't do it for me as a permanent solution.

What I'm really looking for is a CNC machined piece, possibly in the shape of a Whitcomb airfoil with the reflexed trailing edge machined a little deeper for your fingers.

Anyone done this or have a good resource? If not, I'll have to draw it up and have Stein or someone machine it for me. It's times like this I wish I had gone to machinists school instead of the North Avenue Trade School ;)

Canopy Handel

I have a nice solution to this if you are glueing your canopy. Can send you a photo on email. Please pm me if interested.

I couldn't find a photo but I built the handle a little different from the plans and it looks more finished. The aluminum angle that is the handle is mounted inside the canopy skirt and only the 'handle' part of the angle protrudes past the outside of the skirt through a slit in the skirt. This leaves only the handle visible from the exterior of the airplane.

Last edited:
Same

I did the exact same. I glued my canopy with Silka flex and used an
1/8? aluminum spacer between the side skin and frame. This allowed the required 1/8? gap for the glue. I cut a small area out of the spacer to receive the inside portion of the angle. Will try to post a pic when I can.

Back