What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spar damage

thoma015

Well Known Member
I purchased a partially built wing kit a while back and I'm to the point of mounting the leading edge and fuel tank when I saw a couple of nicks.
Is this something I can file down and prime?

I'm sure those are fixable, however, anything to do with the spars it would probably be a good idea to send an email to Van's. Especially on the main bars.

Deffinately fixable

The spar flange loads lessen as you go out on the spar that is why you can taper them. To make it easier to mill and set the rivets the spars are stepped on the 7. Therefore to sand off a small amount of material to eliminate the nicks still will leave much more material in the area shown than if the flange was an actual full taper instead of a step. I'm sure Van's will tell you the same.

That looks like they used a screw that was too long for the nut plates.

I damaged mine in a similar way when final drilling the tank skin to the baffle on my keft wing. A drill stop set very short would have prevented it. I sent photos to Van?s and they told me how to fix it.

Check out this entry and the next in my build log. Your damage looks a little worse than mine, so send photos to Vans tech support and ask them about it.

Back