What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Team X introduces the GTX 45R and GTX 35R ADS-B transponders for experimental

Dynon has our own remote mount, TSO'd Mode-S transponder with ADS-B OUT, at competitive prices and weights. We also have ADS-B IN solutions. So it is not immediately clear why someone with a SkyView system would prefer one of these transponders.

What would you like to see the Dynon HDX system do with the GTX that it can't do currently with the Dynon transponder?

Last edited:
I'm struggling to figure this out

My RV7A has a Aerotronics panel (built in 2008) with two Garmin 430s (non-WAAS) gps units and a Garmin GTX 330 (non-ES) transponder. I want to comply with the 2020 mandate sooner rather than later without having to spend a fortune and make major wiring changes to my panel. Will the GTX 35R or 45R help me meet the mandate? If so how?

The GTX 345 solution is out of my budget range. If I upgraded one 430 to WAAS and my 330 to ES I'm talking about the same cost as the GTX 345 (but with same budget problem) but this approach allows my plane to fly LPV approaches which I can't do now. The problem with upgrading my current gps' and transponder is I still have older gps systems and radios.

I thought the NavWorx 600 exp was going to be my best path but it appears the FAA is killing this option. My avionics are GRT Horizon WS EFIS systems with the TruTrac 385 autopilot. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Unless I am miss-reading the features, a GTX 45R would replace both the 'SV-XPNDR-261' and the 'SV-ADSB-470', reducing box, wire harness, and antennae count by one.

Dave,
It appears it would do the things you listed, but with some tradeoffs. Given this is a thread about a Garmin product, it is probably a appropriate to start a new thread if you would like to discuss the differences against competitors.

Unless I am miss-reading the features, a GTX 45R would replace both the 'SV-XPNDR-261' and the 'SV-ADSB-470', reducing box, wire harness, and antennae count by one.

Additionally, you would need to replace the Skyview with a Garmin G3X Touch, then of course you'd also need to replace any autopilot servos. 😳

Hello Rodrigo,

Good question.

If you are installing a GTX 35R or GTX 45R transponder with a G3X or G3X Touch system all of the configuration of the remote mount transponder is done through the normal configuration mode XPDR page on the PFD, so the install tool is not needed.

We added thousands of lines of new code to G3X and G3X Touch systems to support the new and extensive configuration requirements of these new transponders so our customers would not need a computer and an installation tool to configure the transponders.

If you have a GTX 335 or GTX 345 panel mount transponder, the configuration is done through the front panel, and again, no computer or configuration tool is required.

Presently the only method of installing software updates is through a Garmin dealer, but we are considering other options.

We have been performing free software updates on GTX 23ES and GTX 330ES transponders for EAB customers at SNF and Oshkosh for several years, and will likely add support for these new transponders for those attending these shows as well.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve, I have just got my setup configured and running. I have a 45R and 10" G3.
The question is, as we don't have UAT(TIS/WX), but the WX page shows on the display and the UAT status says not connected on the traffic page. There is no option to disable these features in the transponder setup page on the G3. Would disabling the UAT in the transponder with the Config tool have these items disappear on the display?

Cheers.

Bruce.

Hi Steve, I have just got my setup configured and running. I have a 45R and 10" G3.
The question is, as we don't have UAT(TIS/WX), but the WX page shows on the display and the UAT status says not connected on the traffic page. There is no option to disable these features in the transponder setup page on the G3. Would disabling the UAT in the transponder with the Config tool have these items disappear on the display?

Cheers.

Bruce.

Hello Bruce,

Your G3X Touch system with GTX 45R transponder is capable of receiving ADS-B traffic air-to-air on both 1090 Mhz and 978 Mhz, TIS-B and ADS-R services, and FIS-B weather.

This is no way to selectively disable these capabilities.

Contact us at [email protected] if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

GTX 45R and GAD 29

I am correct in assuming there are some overlap between the GTX 45R and GAD 29 ?

I a setup with GTN 650 and GTX 45R, what would be the function of GAD 29 ?

The GTN 650 and the GTX 45R will communicate over a dedicated high speed link. The GTX 45R will be your ADS-B OUT transponder and ADS-B IN receiver.

The GAD 29 will interface your GTN 650 over ARINC 429 to the G3X. This connection will facilitate the display of course guidance information (e.g. ILS / LPV approaches) from the GTN 650 on the G3X. The GAD 29 doesn't play a role in ADS-B.

I am correct in assuming there are some overlap between the GTX 45R and GAD 29 ?

I a setup with GTN 650 and GTX 45R, what would be the function of GAD 29 ?

Hello nilberg,

No, there is no overlap. The GAD 29 is the A429 to CAN bus converter for a G3X system.

See page 24-25 of the Rev. AA G3X Installation Manual for guidance on using a GAD 29 to interface a GTN 650.

Thanks,
Steve

Software updates

Presently the only method of installing software updates is through a Garmin dealer, but we are considering other options.

We have been performing free software updates on GTX 23ES and GTX 330ES transponders for EAB customers at SNF and Oshkosh for several years, and will likely add support for these new transponders for those attending these shows as well.

Any update on the above comments?

Free updates at SNF and Oshkosh aren't any help for overseas (potential) customers...

Back