What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with control tube install ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
The print calls for a 2 5/8 x 4 1/2 rectangular hole in the bulkhead sheets at the spar. The control tube will not pass through. Before I start HACKING, what am I missing ????

Control tube installation

Hi Larry
I remember the same issue on my -4 (2004 kit ). From memory the steel control tube supplied is from an RV8 so the dimensions are a little larger than the early model-4's. I remember very slightly increasing the size of the hole in the web of the main spar , so as to get the control tube through, but it was still tight. !

Hope that helps.

David Taylor
0-320 RV4
Myrup WA.

Hi Larry
I remember the same issue on my -4 (2004 kit ). From memory the steel control tube supplied is from an RV8 so the dimensions are a little larger than the early model-4's. I remember very slightly increasing the size of the hole in the web of the main spar , so as to get the control tube through, but it was still tight. !

Hope that helps.

David Taylor
0-320 RV4
Myrup WA.

No that's not the case, the RV4 came first and the RV8 uses some of the same parts on the control column but they are not the same part/weldment and not interchangeable. As to fitting either one of these through their prescribed hole in the spar, I don't know, I've never been there myself.

Check the geometry carefully, you can swap things around easily and it will be off enough to look dead wrong. If you get everything right, it should fit with only minor trimming.

Pictures?

-Bruce

Back