What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Line and Horizontal Tail Questions

FlyGood

Two questions for the RV-8 brain trust:

For the interior flexible brake lines, I used Aeroquip 306 hose on the recommendation of a local parts shop. Now it's time to install the exterior lines from the bottom of the Grove gear to the calipers and I want to make sure. Is 306 hose suitable for brake/hydraulic fluid? If not, what is a good choice for flexible brake lines?

Second subject: I've read numerous posts about elevator authority during landing with a forward cg. Has anyone considered/tried vortex generators on the underside of the Horizontal Tail?

Thanks for any help and advice!
Taco

If I remember correctly the VA-102 fuel pressure hose that Van's sells works great for the Grove gear brake line. Nice braided hose with no modifications needed.

That's what I used.

IMG_0474_zpslgxzbu4u.jpg

Second subject: I've read numerous posts about elevator authority during landing with a forward cg. Has anyone considered/tried vortex generators on the underside of the Horizontal Tail?

I've read it, but mine will 3-point at 79".

Thanks

Copy all. I'll go with the stock Van's lines for the external lines.

Doesn't sound like vortex generators are needed on the tail. I may experiment anyway.

Thanks, all!

Back