What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 splice plate markings

hcccs

Well Known Member
I'm about to put on the wings. The splice plates are marked as 899AFT and 899FWD, two of each. Is there really a difference between the aft and forward splice plates or what are the markings for?

I'm about to put on the wings. The splice plates are marked as 899AFT and 899FWD, two of each. Is there really a difference between the aft and forward splice plates or what are the markings for?

To tell you which should go aft and which fwd :rolleyes:

The RV-4 kit has been built for decades. The level of precision of the drilling has improved over time, so there could be a difference.
Since there is no way for me to know what vintage your wing kit was (could be from 30 years ago... or more), the best advice is install them at the locations they are marked for (why wouldn't you?)

Hans

IIRC the bottom two will have rounded edges so they can fit in the bulkhead flange.
The top two won't as there is no flange to interfere with them.

Carr

(5 RV-4s)

Here is why..

The plates are drilled/reamed as a stack-up assembly to pretty close tolerance. ANY angular irregularity would cause problems if the stack-up is not in the same orientation as it was drilled. My -4 plates also had 2 of the holes in a first oversize condition, and also had oversize bolts supplied. I found when assembling mine, it is best to get everything in place using about 8 cheap bolts from hardware store that are not close tolerance and leave them hand tight, then install the kit supplied bolts carefully and get all of them in before installing any of the nuts. I used an assembly paste grease that is anti-corrosive and aids in the bolt installation while gently taping them through with a plastic hammer. Just be carefully there are no burrs or debris in the parts putting them together...

You may have a problem with the aft lower plate - the longitudinal said that abut the aft side of the spar box will interfere with getting the splice plate into position unless you have planned ahead and already made some relief slots.

Hope it's ok!

Chris

Back