What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-3 project!

Randy Lervold's latest construction status picture (more can be found at www.rv-3.com) :

DSC_0629.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice prop !!!..........should be rather blowy behind there !........

What type of governor did you install.......and how deep the reccess in firewall ?

Ian said:
Very nice prop !!!..........should be rather blowy behind there !........
What type of governor did you install.......and how deep the reccess in firewall ?
It's a Whirl Wind 151 with the Jihostroj governor that WW has adjusted for them (425 psi). The smaller hub on this prop requires the higher pressure. I put the standard Van's RV-7/9 firewall recess in and it provides plenty of room. Pics of the recess...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/FWF/DSC_0581.jpg
http://www.romeolima.com/RV3works/Gallery/DSC_0583.jpg

Hey guys, making progress...

DSC_1532_med.jpg

Paint work is nearly complete but I still have a few weeks to go on my buddy's RV-8 we're painting at the same time. Then it's time to finish up the wiring and plumbing and take it to the airport.

WOW! That thing looks great with the paint on! I am gearing up to shoot mine and this definitely helps to inspire. Congrats.

Back to the future...

Dang it Randy that looks good! I was having flashbacks of your Eight seeing the same scheme, nicely done...You will love the RV3, trust me.

Rob Ray

smokyray said:
Dang it Randy that looks good! I was having flashbacks of your Eight seeing the same scheme, nicely done...You will love the RV3, trust me.

Rob Ray
Thanks Smokey. Same white, same red, but different gray. The darker gray makes the red look deeper and richer for some reason. I like it better (which I suppose is good!).
Pic of my old RV-8 for those who are interested in the comparison...
http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Pictures/Dscn2666.jpg

Randy;

Excellent paint job! Makes me envious. You will like the way that the -3 will fly, I love mine. I see that you went without the leg stiffners. Be sure to post final pics.

Mike Bauer
RV-3 flying (17 years now!) :D
RV-4 building :D :D :D

Awesome bachelor pad

All bachelor pads should look like this! Airplanes in the kitchen with West system epoxy and acetone on the counters. Will be interested in seeing the "birth" when it has to come out of the apt. Aden.

It's officially ready for the hangar. In the words of Borat "wa wa wi wa"

Last edited:

After about 50 hours of sanding I think it's ready for paint.

Last edited:
Rob,

Years ago one of my brothers told me the story of a co-worker who built a Pitts S1 in his appartment. Only one problem, it was on the 2nd floor.

On the day he was to move to the airport he hired a crain, flatbed truck, carpenters, painters, and a carpet guy.

They cut a hole in the side of the appartment, reached in with the crain, pulled the Pitts out and left for the airport while the carpenter and the rest of the crew put the appartment back together.

Oh, they did that while the appartment manager was on vacation and he moved out.

I've always wondered if that story was true.

Thanks for the comments. I'll be sure to tell people that story when I'm told its crazy to build a plane in the living room. At least mine should fit through the door.

Dude, you are DEDICATED. Just wanted to state how in awe I am of your dedication. I'm amazed.

I'm a college student right now myself, with enough money to get the tools and the empennage, and the more I think about it the more I want to go balls out and let an airplane project take over my dorm room.

Last edited:
If you are in Edwardsville, which airport are you moving to? I checked your web site and then got curious and checked your wedding site. I think I stayed at the place you are having your wedding a long time ago. I used to be stationed at an AFB in New Jersey and often went to New Hope and Washington's Crossing. That area was really pretty and the B&B?s there were all first rate. Can't tell from the picture but your future bride is smiling under that canopy, isn't she?

BTW, the first impression my wife of 30 years had when she saw my apartment before we were married was not very good. I had told her the only piece of furniture I had was a tool box where I ate what meals I did fix. Several days later she asked me to stop with her at an Ethan Allen store where she had bought all the furniture for her apartment. We still use the couch, ottoman, and ?chair and a half? I ended up buying. Future wives tend to take control very quickly. :D

Good Luck!

I finally got around to moving the plane http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyXTvsSbYw0

If you are in Edwardsville, which airport are you moving to?
I just moved it to the Bethalto airport, just north of Edwardsville.

That area was really pretty and the B&B?s there were all first rate. Can't tell from the picture but your future bride is smiling under that canopy, isn't she?
Yeah the area around New Hope is really pretty. I grew up in Doylestown and would ride my bike by the Centre Bridge Inn all the time. Unfortunately the developers are doing a pretty good job of destroying the countryside. Its funny you mention her smiling under the canopy...I wish I could say that was her natural reaction.:D

the more I think about it the more I want to go balls out and let an airplane project take over my dorm room.
I remember my RA flipped out when he found a candle in my room..i wonder what they would say if you had an air compressor!

It looks great Rob. It also looks like you have more room in PA than you did in your Edwardsville living room...

Holy cow Perry! I hadn't heard you were doing a 3!! That's awesome! Still have the 6? Cassut? Pitts? ;)

RV-3

Hi Chad, I sold the Pitts, but I still have the RV-6 and the Cassutt. I have considered trying to trade all three for an RV-8 so I would only have one plane.

I see that you are coming along great with your project.

Perry

Great pic Perry! Hey, if the weather is good next Tuesday, I'm planning on flying the Comanche over for some food...you gonna be around?

My -3B project

I've loaded some pics at http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mvs163/
QB wings,160hp, slider,Raven inverted oil, Ellison throttle body, Hooker Ratchet seat belt, Grove Light Wt. wheels and brakes with Lamb tires, 4" tailwheel, Wing root fillet fairings,full turtledeck bulkhead, carbon wing tips,Vetterman exhaust and Catto prop on order.
My apologies, the pics aren't very organised.
Thanks to Randy, Rob and Tony for their websites.
Mike

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mvs163/

Nice looking planes guys....it looks like we are all at about the same point in constuction. I just need to find me a nice engine.

Nice work, Mike! Couple of observations based on your photos. Unless you have arms like an orangutan you might find it difficult to reach the fuel selector where you have it located. Before/after photos of mine here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo/RV3BMiscellaneous#5203701450446098130

http://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo/RV3BMiscellaneous#5218211067757349634

If you're fitting the cowl without the spinner in place, don't forget that the spinner/bulkhead extends aft of the prop flange.

Tony

Check you're comments Tony. The fuel valve may get moved (should have used the Andair) and I did use the spinner backplate for the front cowl.
I think I have as much time in the fiberglass as I do the fuselage structure. It's all part of the -3 experience !
I'm trying to finish and paint before the winter comes with Oshkosh 2010 as the goal.
Mike

Here's my status for today! Horizontal stab in the jig!! 2 hours of work on making the jig and stab perfect... :D

IMG_0417.JPG

Rolled the Canoe!

Does anyone need an RV-3B fuselage jig near Portland, OR?
Free to a good home...

- Dan Benua

090919_Flipping_the_Canoe.jpg

I finally found my engine

After a year long daily search I have finally found my engine. Its on the truck as I type this. So its a IO-320 from BP engines that came out of a One Design in Colorado with 280 smoh and no damage history. As you can see it came with all necessary accessories and even a few that I don't need. I am REALLY excited about mounting this thing on my plane! I just have to finish renovating my house first...
img1124o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
congratulations

Rob,
Glad you found a good engine for your project.
btw, Rick H should have his first flight on his RV6 by the end of Oct.

Hey Don thats great to hear. Make sure he posts some pictures on this site. Is he going to be building Dave a 10 when he is finished?

Hey Don thats great to hear. Make sure he posts some pictures on this site. Is he going to be building Dave a 10 when he is finished?

Yes, He started the RV-10 emp while the RV-6 was in the paint shop and the quick build wings and fuselage are in the hangar. His airworthiness inspection for the RV-6 by the FSDO is Oct 27. Dave Allen moved his RV-9A to the airport last week and is getting real close also.
Take care.

Fuselage is Taking Shape!

Well, Louise and I took almost a week off the project due to work commitments (for her) and avionics upgrades (for me), but here is the fuselage skeleton pretty close to finished in the jig:

IMG_7490.JPG

I've put some AD3 keeper rivets in the intersections between bulkheads and stringers to make the surface smooth for skinning. Today I spent a little time working on the vertical bars that attached to the Horizontal Stabilizer spar back in the tail end - getting that built up. Louise has been making a new rear spar carry through (out of sider stock - gives a little more edge distance margin when setting wing incidence) using the original one that I had drilled as a template, as well as taking on the entire seat rib area - once we got the F-303-F-305 distance set perfectly, I turned the details of that sculpture back over to her! She's also been building sub-assemblies like the elevator bellcrank and other stuff that keeps parts flowing into line.

Next time I'm in the shop, I'll finish up the tail attached bars and start fiddling with the lower aft skin assembly - that has to be cut out to fit around the tailwheel mount. then it will be on to that big bottom skin. So far, the jig hasn't moved a millimeter, and we'd just as soon keep working so that nothing has a chance to move before the canoe becomes rigid!

IMG_7492.JPG

Paul & Louise

Painted pic

img0864m.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a pic from a couple of weeks ago with the painting done
Ran it for the first time today
Mike

Last edited:
I was wondering how you were going to drill back there. Riveting should be interesting.

RV-3 Commercial

I get a lot of questions about the RV-3 from time to time, so thought I would do a video commercial for the plane. you can view at link below. I haven't seen the back of my head in sometime, am wondering where that extra little mouth came from? Now, I at least know where those voices are coming from now!
Ed Hawkins
N272DR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1ouKfyOkA

Back