What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

taxes

Ron B.

Well Known Member
I recently took up Dynon up on their offer to trade up for the new SV-ADSB-472. I was expecting to trade without having to pay the taxes and was led to believe it was going to be shipped that way, but no. If this was a warranty exchange (and maybe it is ???) , there should be no taxes due. I have reached out to Dynon but no response in two weeks. I pay enough taxes that I don't want to if I'm not required so if I'm not required on this transaction I will pursue my tax department for a refund.

Taxes due on XBoarder shippments

Unfortunately, when an american completes the commercial invoice and includes it with the shipment it reflects value of the shipment.

When it crosses the boarder, customs looks for this Commercial invoice and bills you for the value of the shipment.

The TAXES due are on this value, and not what you pay the seller of the material.

I've had this happen to me many times and there is no recourse for us in Canada on this issue.

Happened to me on warrenty Lightspeed headset repairs earlier this year.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul. If we are to pay these taxes according to our tax laws then it's our problem , but if it is a labeling problem from our venders then that is wrong. I still have not received a response from my vendor , so I will give them a call. As you indicated, it adds up.

Don't confuse Paul's warranty service on a headset with Ron's upgrade from one piece of equipment to another.

In the case of warranty service, you can mark the product for export for repair, and keep all documentation of shipping it outside the country. When it comes back, you will have to pay any import duties/taxes to pick the item up, but you can then submit a claim for the amount and get it returned, based on your proof of previous export. The principle is that this item has already had taxes paid on import to Canada, so they are not payable again... It's just that the post office doesn't have the authority to review your proof of export and not charge you. You have to pay it and then claim it back.

In the case of an upgrade, even when sending an old item back to get a new, better item, well, that's taxable. If you're lucky, the invoice will only reflect the upgrade cost, so you'll only pay taxes on that amount and not on the value of the entire item. But you are bringing a new item into Canada, that wasn't here before... Ergo taxes apply.

I did the ADSB swap and was charged $13, just assumed that was shipping. Wasn't tax as NY State doesn't charge tax on aviation stuff.

Don't confuse Paul's warranty service on a headset with Ron's upgrade from one piece of equipment to another.

In the case of warranty service, you can mark the product for export for repair, and keep all documentation of shipping it outside the country. When it comes back, you will have to pay any import duties/taxes to pick the item up, but you can then submit a claim for the amount and get it returned, based on your proof of previous export. The principle is that this item has already had taxes paid on import to Canada, so they are not payable again... It's just that the post office doesn't have the authority to review your proof of export and not charge you. You have to pay it and then claim it back.

In the case of an upgrade, even when sending an old item back to get a new, better item, well, that's taxable. If you're lucky, the invoice will only reflect the upgrade cost, so you'll only pay taxes on that amount and not on the value of the entire item. But you are bringing a new item into Canada, that wasn't here before... Ergo taxes apply.

You may be correct, but I did not pay for the unit. My original unit was new and the factory exchanged it for the upgrade at no cost to me.

Back