What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Avex rivets are used on the -12?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Looking to use Avex on another airplane, and want to get the good stuff. So what part numbers are used?

Thanks!

Ed

90 percent of rivets are LP4-3.

Where extra strength is needed, the following rivets are used:
CR3213-4-02 CHERRY RIVET
CR3213-4-5

AVEX Rivets

Hi Ed! Long time!
Try Byler Rivets - a dealer Ph (972) 986-6792.
OBTW, I just sold that Glasair III you wrote about 25 years ago!:)

I was looking for a part number like 01604-00414. I don't know how to decipher those numbers for details, but I suspect that LP4-3 only specifies the size... And I'm not able to dimple, so I'm looking for plain heads.

This might help. I don't know vendor PN's...

25i6gq0.jpg

Last edited:
AVEX Rivets

Go to the Aircraft Spruce Website and search for AVEX Rivets. They will be listed as AVEX non-structural rivets. Disregard the non-structural part of the description, I'm still baffled why they do that. They have a chart that lists all the grip lengths etc. PM if you have any questions, as I'm quite familiar with them.

Best,
Jerry Folkerts

Looking to use Avex on another airplane, and want to get the good stuff. So what part numbers are used?

Ed,

The rivets supplied by Van's for my RV-12 are NOT Avrex .... they are manufactured by Gesipa and are part number GSDM41-43APG. In the RV-12 plans, Van's refers to these rivets as LP4-3 rivets. The rivets are from Gesipa's series of rivets called Polygrip Multigrip blind rivets. It is an aluminum rivet with a steel mandrel that has a grip range from .039" -.197". Specifications for minimum strength are a shear of 162 lbs and tensile of 236 lbs.

The photo below shows the box of rivets Van's supplied with the RV-12 kit on the left. Also in the photo on the right are the flush rivets I purchased from Gesipa that were used to build my RV-12 (yes, I built E-AB) ... the flush rivets have the same tensile and shear strength as the low dome rivets from Van's and the part number is the same except the D is changed to a C for the countersunk version (the D is for low dome).
DSC01852.JPG

Hope this helps you.

Happy building,

Last edited:
Ed -

Forgot to mention Gesipa has a minimum order of 10,000 and would not sell retail. I asked for and was given the name of a distributor in my area which subsequently ordered the rivets I needed for the external surfaces on the RV-12 project. (The RV-12 needed over 9,000 rivets because I went into the 10th box of 1,000).

Happy building,

GSMC41-43APG

Lots of great information on your build site. Can I get contact info on the Distributor you used for GSMC41-43APG rivets?

Sclookout -

Apparently roughly three years ago or so Gesipa changed the part numbers for their product line of PolyGrip multigrip rivets and also changed the grip ranges.

You will want to visit their website and download the new catalog ... the following link is to their catalog download.
https://en.gesipa.de/service/media_and_downloads/catalogue/

As for the distributor I used ... don't remember the name because it was a one time purchase. To find a distributor, I just called Gesipa directly and asked for names of distributors in my area ... found one about 17 miles away and did a will call pickup after my rivets arrived, so saved a little on shipping. I would suggest you call Gesipa directly and find a distributor local to you.

If you still want the name of the distributor I used, PM me and I will see if I can find the receipt.

Back