What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic riveter setup

fr0gpil0t

Well Known Member
I cleaned out my HF pneumatic riveter and can't seem to get it setup right. It rivets fine but it seems to flattening the face of the rivet. As though it's pulling the rivet too hard or if the stroke length is too long?

I turned the air down to about 40 psi and tried to loosening the lock nut and adjusting the jaw assembly either forward or back but it doesn't really seem to make any difference.

Does this sound like the stroke length if so how do I shorten it?

Robert

Last edited:
I think that the force against the surface of the rivet is determined by the breaking point of the rivet stem, aka mandrel. Whatever adjustments are made to the rivet puller should not have much affect.

Is the nose of the rivet gun profiled to match the head of the rivet? Maybe that would help.

Check the diameter of the tip hole versus the mandrel diameter.

We drilled out the smaller tip to match the mandrel and it gave much better results.

The only issue I found with nosepiece hole diameter was when I got lazy and used a 3/16? nosepiece on a 1/8? rivet. That caused the head to extrude into he nosepiece. I learned what the Ghost Busters referred to as ?an important safety tip?.😜

actually.. I think i've had this problem myself too.. the hole being a little too large for the LP4-3's .. I did pretty much the entire airplane thinking that this was normal.. because it was the smallest nosepiece that came with my gun.

i borrowed my neighbors gun for something recently and saw that he had a smaller nose piece..that was an exact fit..

did i shoot myself in the foot here? or before painting, can i just take a piece of sandpaper and go over the heads real quick so as to knock the little extruded/sharp piece of the head off?

Unless they really stick up I?d leave them alone. If they are really bad you may want to talk to the rivet manufacturer and see if it compromises their strength. A nice coat of paint hides a lot of cosmetic booboos!

Back