What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Using nutplates to on elevator counterweights

mturnerb

Well Known Member
Based on a few threads where people had issues with loose counterweights (and suggestions to use floating nutplates to fashion a better way to tighten them), I decided to make a couple of retaining plates for my elevator counterweights. I used floating nutplates and some scrap aluminum. I like the way it turned out. Too late to do similar on the rudder, hoping the locktite will do the job there.

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3209%20%281%29.jpg

Last edited:
Great!

Looks good. I have been thinking about this as well. I am just a little unsure if this adds weight? did you shave the led for whatever the difference is from your setup and the 2 jamnuts? would it make a difference?

what are other cons? I am just trying to be very careful when changing from the plans...

Looks good. I have been thinking about this as well. I am just a little unsure if this adds weight? did you shave the led for whatever the difference is from your setup and the 2 jamnuts? would it make a difference?

what are other cons? I am just trying to be very careful when changing from the plans...

The amount of weight is pretty minimal. I attached the elevators today and they are a little out of balance with each other so will need some adjustment later on. But adding the weight of the two small pieces of aluminum plus two nutplates (and a few rivets) on each side (less the weight of nuts and washers replaced) is very small. No more than a few grams.

The amount of weight is pretty minimal. I attached the elevators today and they are a little out of balance with each other so will need some adjustment later on. But adding the weight of the two small pieces of aluminum plus two nutplates (and a few rivets) on each side (less the weight of nuts and washers replaced) is very small. No more than a few grams.

I see. I guess final balancing is done after assembly and paint? how does one change or fix any unbalance with the rudder with the led being riveted in a place with no access?

but in general I think it makes a lot of sense what you are doing.

I see. I guess final balancing is done after assembly and paint? how does one change or fix any unbalance with the rudder with the led being riveted in a place with no access?

but in general I think it makes a lot of sense what you are doing.

Not sure when final balancing gets done - haven't gotten that far along yet. Not sure about rudder either. Neither can be balanced until fairings are done and I would assume paint. HS should be easy since the inboard counterweights remain accessible.

Not sure when final balancing gets done - haven't gotten that far along yet. Not sure about rudder either. Neither can be balanced until fairings are done and I would assume paint. HS should be easy since the inboard counterweights remain accessible.

I like your idea Turner. I can't think of any issues with your setup, but I would like to hear other opinions with possible disadvantages.
Using your method, it may also be easier to add extra weight if needed by simply using a heavier material (steel) for your "nutplate plate"
Like you, I have not done too much research yet as to balancing elevators and how to accomplish.
However, there was a thread here a while back that did touch on this.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=145624

I like your idea Turner. I can't think of any issues with your setup, but I would like to hear other opinions with possible disadvantages.
Using your method, it may also be easier to add extra weight if needed by simply using a heavier material (steel) for your "nutplate plate"
Like you, I have not done too much research yet as to balancing elevators and how to accomplish.
However, there was a thread here a while back that did touch on this.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=145624

Thanks Shawn! This is helpful in that I will go ahead and balance now while everything is attached, once I fit the elevator tips in place. I was thinking of something a bit simpler in terms of adding weight, like bonding tire weights to the structure somehow (inboard for easier access?). I will check with Vic Syracuse, my EAA tech counselor, on this and report back here. Just as in that thread, my left elevator is biased "forward" and right "aft" and when tied together close to neutral, but it makes sense to balance individually. At final assembly, after paint, should be easy to adjust.

What did Vic say?

Hey Turner! Curious what Vic said to do here...I?m starting to get close to balancing mine.
Thanks,
Joe

Back