What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mechanic in CT

bdserv

I recently purchased an RV-6A and am looking for a mechanic familiar with RVs in CT.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Bruce

any good mechanic can help you out there. fran at total aircraft has a good shop at KHFD . anything specific you need help with? where is the plane? hope to meet up with you next summer. :) welcome to the =VAF= family. any pics of the plane? where did it come from?
D3F5C7C1-9448-4F37-BF8B-8A6D56D750F3.jpg

Last edited:
The engine is unhappy at lower power settings - as you throttle back in the pattern there is quite a bit of missing and backfiring, and hesitation if you need to squeeze in a little more throttle.

The engine is an Aerosport 0-360-A1A with a Whirlwind RV200 cs prop and Vetterman exhaust.

I also notice in cruise that the left bank of cylinders is hotter than the right bank by 50-100 deg F. The left front cylinder is hotter than the right rear, which makes me wonder if there is an intake air leak on the left side causing the backfiring and hesitation.

My reason for asking about a mechanic familiar with RVs mainly has to do with removing and reinstalling the cowling, which is somewhat tricky and a major pain. I wish I had a place I could at least do some initial inspection of the intake, etc., but the airport I am based at discourages owners working on their planes.

The airplane was built by Wally Anderson and is otherwise a nice example of an RV-6A.

Looking forward to meeting folks this summer!

Bruce

DSC_1247_zpsrqgabqxs.jpg

DSC_1241_zpswmghou0o.jpg

rv-6a%20engine-2a_zpsvk9j9ija.jpg

bruce, very nice looking rv. the cowl will never get any easier to get off. tape up the lower cowl area where it rubs when you take it off.
check the intake gaskets. any leaking will produce popping when landing.
you will find a good mechanic to help you out with the engine. how many hours on it? pm sent. :cool:
P1010864.jpg

Welcome

Hi Bruce,
Nice looking plane. I have an RV-7A still in phase one, based at 4B9. Where are you flying out of?
pm sent
Charlie

Back