What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your RV-4 project!

If it were me, I would file a bit of the web off to clear the firewall bumpout. File it over an inch of length, and just enough depth to clear, repaint and go.

I thought of filing the gusset down a little, but decided to get a second opinion before proceeding.

Instead of filing the gusset I'd just reshape the firewall to gain clearance. Small Ball Pein hammer or something similar should do it.

Just enough so you've got 1/16"-1/8" clearance.

That way you avoid reducing the strength of the reinforcement of the mount (and avoid re-painting).

While it probably doesn't matter that would seem to be one of the more heavily stressed parts of the mount given all the gear induced forces at play. That is an opinion based on nothing more than eyeball analysis.

Ok, one last comment on my behalf and I'll be quiet, being this is the project page. I also contemplated re-shaping the firewall, but was afraid later on down the road some potential buyer will see it and think " hmm, firewall damage" and then have to explain.
With that being said, as soon as the mount gets bolted on its time to install the gear legs and put her back on her feet again. I have made significant progress but holding out on the pics until more of the plane is back together. I haven't even touched the wings yet. Need to pull the tanks, fix a few leaking rivets and remove the dreaded tank slosh.

Instrument panel

I have to give all the credit to Justin on the panel design. He came up with the angle idea, which looks awesome in the plane. He had to make sure that the radio and transponder would clear the sides before he made the final bends. I can't wait until the instruments go in permanently.
However, when I was building the cover panel one of the flanges moved after tightening the screws down and "popped" the paint loose around a couple rivets. In attempting to fix the paint I screwed it up even worse, so it's coming back off to be stripped, repainted, and new decals added.

What goes in the weird figure 8 looking hole in the right side bulkhead under the panel?

What goes in the weird figure 8 looking hole in the right side bulkhead under the panel?
Nothing. This plane is a rebuild project. I'm the second owner. I'll probably build a filler piece for both of those formers as I'm not using any of the old controls or switches.

Interior almost finished on the re-build
152A628F-BF0D-48CF-893F-B87DCCFE7AB7_zpsvvhgomig.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4A6BC792-FA0F-48DE-A498-74D192F6B437_zpspex3svsz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FF645278-D6CE-45DE-84F5-125CE1655CD1_zps5cn6kuhj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
37DE987D-8EA6-4A41-9F04-20D67FE44905_zpsptrawpuu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4084AA4C-5864-4EB5-A80E-2E5F728CCC4E_zpsnmf9nuou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D5E1EEF2-6E50-43F3-A799-7F5EA9B5EC5B_zpsqa4zxe6d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C8629BB5-4A68-4287-B8F4-E192BF79AF05_zpsiuqm5crc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FFDD9BC8-206D-423F-AC34-7DB32B253806_zpsy5aimjj2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
D7FD4ED8-777F-4F33-ADBB-766F01F82590_zpsbykt2xfa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C713B4C5-5B86-43A1-8511-BEB8F09D9749_zpsetaeat3x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

canopy skirts

We started the process of laying up the fiberglass canopy skirts. Thanks goes to Axel's great tutorial. We followed his process except instead of using a mold release we used clear packing tape over the duct tape. the glass released just fine.
It still needs to be trimmed. we will leave it alone for a few days to let the resin fully cure.
F1D9F9DA-9208-4A7F-A19B-1F98000C31BF_zpslvxiyyfg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4A7810AE-9B4D-4C4B-85DB-5CB5C7F7A024_zpsnu7g8rmn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
E3C4E532-2F05-46E7-AD67-3B32E9B4BE6D_zpspmrslxh0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
61AA976C-5618-4AED-84A5-48FC80CC51EE_zps8cwpxfun.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ABB1A256-0F50-4D37-89F9-0328FD9FC676_zpsk3u1motz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It only took three weeks of sanding and filling but I can now say that the outer canopy skirt is finished. Being a fastback, I had to completely fabricate the frame from scratch. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
A0632A1F-3E55-4E77-93BF-41D0F18B4784_zpsxvnfij2t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
bf7df0e6-f868-40f2-841f-63580e4bfba5_zps551cba3f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
B3A97133-659A-423B-A078-A786BFA623C8_zpsnb66micd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Slosh Removal

The next big project on my re-build is tank slosh removal. I know that the preferred way is to cut access panels in the back bulkhead big enough to get you hands inside. Has anyone just removed the entire back bulkhead? I also have a few leaking rivets to deal with, so it may just be easier to open up the entire back side then re-seal.

Canopy frame

Arlie,

Could you post some photos/details of how you did your canopy frame please? Was the canopy from Todd?

Thanks

Chris

Repaired damaged rib..... the right way finally

When I dropped my wing out of the jig last month while riveting on the outboard aileron mount, I am fortunate that the bottom outboard skin was off. This allowed the main spar to hit me in the back of the head, which lessened the impact of aileron mount hitting the concrete. :rolleyes: Nevertheless, the tib rib suffered compression failure at a flute. Here is the initial damage:

35moys7.jpg

When contemplating repairs, I decided I really didn't want to drill out close to 40 rivets, including 27 in the top skin, and 8-9 in the main spar web. So, I removed the damaged section, and was going to use a portion of an extra rib as a scab, and make a structural patch. After starting this process, I didn't like the way it was going to turn out. Best pic I have is this one again from Sunday with Paul in the background. Pretty easy to see the big hole, as mentioned earlier this week:

10yfjg7.jpg

So today, I came home from work, and was tired of looking at it. I drilled out all those rivets, (It was a PITA to drill out the universal rivets in the spar web, due to the curvature of the wing) cleaned everything up, fluted and marked centerlines on new rib, and drilled it to the wing. Other than primer, this looks MUCH better:

9kvtrs.jpg

Now the usual deburr, dimple, prime and rivet......more to come.

Gregg

fuel lines done

I finished up the internal fuel line plumbing. Getting closer to moving to the airport. One question? I decided to go with the softer 3003 3/8 aluminum fuel line. How many use this grade of tubing and does it hold up? I've read mixed reviews. Some good, some bad.
D12BCE51-4132-43C3-B93E-3C8588FB93AA_zpsgdnilicn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
55B4EE99-2C97-4AAD-AB3A-8D522102AFD3_zpsjrrn3yvo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
69670544-7193-4DEC-B64D-73014A2DD0D4_zpsg5lnzekd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Old vs. New

This is what the same compartment looked like a year ago before we started the restoration. Keep in mind that this was a flying aircraft before we bought it.
B8F97A1B-1B5D-4B47-8EBA-BD0E343E0F71_zpszyxzf6gk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks GREAT Arlie! What did you use to clean off the old dirt/gunk without removing the paint? Or did you repaint the interior?
When we got the plane back to Texas it was completely disassembled, down to the basic airframe. it was then stripped of paint and steam cleaned. Yes, the interior was primed and re-painted. The sides had some kind of contact cement that was a nightmare to get off. I found "GOOF-OFF" to be the best solvent for getting all the grime that the pressure washer couldn't remove.

Something easy for a change...

jijabl.jpg

Well, the -4 instructions say that the flap is perhaps the easiest to build of the control surfaces. I have had this RH flap drilled and clecoed together for quite a while, but then got busy working on other parts. I only had a little while to work this evening, so I thought I would get back on the flap. (I need it on the wing NOW to fit the flap brace)

Tonight I took everything apart, deburred every piece, scuffed and dimpled the ribs. Compared to the parts I have been working on, finishing this flap will be well, easy. :)

Getting closer every day to packing the wings away and starting the canoe.

Gregg

It's alive

We are finally finished with all the wiring, except for hooking up the engine monitor stuff, (EGT,CHT, ALT). Everything else is up and running. The GRT was fired up and the radio checked. All the buttons on the stick were also checked and they all worked as advertised. All that's left is re-sealing the tanks, stabbing the wings, re-working the cowl, a little fiberglassing, and of course, a killer paint job.
6685806C-CBF8-4C0C-AD7E-840E19BDD03B_zpsntrx6twb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
80679254-66EB-4B3A-8F1A-282D2F8D1E27_zpsepdtustk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
7ABC1128-48B8-45F0-BC23-34335E68FB5B_zps1mj4jgsq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wings are getting ever closer....

Today I took off work to capitalize on the nice WX. I got a LOT done, and added to my build log. (signature)
I completed the whole right flap assembly today, and lots of misc. tasks that needed dealt with.
k1t3is.jpg

It took a while, but here is my flap hinge pin retainer. I would like to take credit for this, but honestly I shamelessly copied it from someone else. :D
smzh9e.jpg

Bottom skins about to go on for good. Then start on the wingtips....

Finally some real progress to "finish" a wing

After a while without much visual progress, it's nice to be standing by an almost complete wing. I riveted on the lower skins alone, which wasn't too bad. I should get the feeling back in my arm eventually.:rolleyes: after finishing the lower outboard skin today, I temp installed the flap and aileron. Rigged aileron to neutral, and locked there via bell crank. The wingtip is just taped into place. Need to do the trimming around the aileron and mount. Still, it's very cool (to me) to see it like this.
maf6sn.jpg

Now on to the other wing and it's lower skins.

Gregg

Gregg it's looking real good. I have several friends with airplanes at Benton, which is wierd cause I live in Montreal. I travel to Wichita a lot on business. I just bought an RV44 project. Love to drop in and see you some time.

Scott

Stearman Field

Scott, it's a small world. I work for Bombardier as an FTE on the C Series. I spent several weeks back in late winter in Montreal and Mirabel for work. (Bad time of year to be there- they take winter serious) :eek:

Who do you know here? PM me if you like. You are welcome anytime, stop by when you come down.

Gregg

c9148085-f67a-4df9-baf4-6b26b1fa97e1_zps89faedd4.png

Had the fortune to buy this project a couple of months ago, status as in picture.

After completing workshop building my colleague and I are now making elevator/aileron stops and trim cable installation.

Plan is to have purchased an engine by the end of this year. Going on a trip this weekend to have a look at an O-320 E3D!

Tanks finished - no leaks! Milestone for me!

Well, after way too long, I have BOTH tanks finished and they are leak free! At my previous job, I worked with a lot of B1/2 sealant, so I got B4 for my tanks. I wanted plenty of working time here. Here is a pic of the left tank, mounted on the wing, taken while starting to rivet on the outboard skin. The balloon has been inflated for over a week at this time, with pretty steady temps and pressures over that week:
2gua0oy.jpg

And for further progress, I am as far as I can get on the final wing skin by myself, so my buddy Kurt will be back over in a day or two to help my finish it. Only about an hour to go on that skin! So while he was away, I decided to make my first entry for the fuselage kit! I worked on the firewall for a couple hours last night, and got it drilled, clecoed, and started working on the angles behind it:
2qau821.jpg

Was really cool to see a part started on the fuse!

Regards,

Gregg

Making progress

After a nice Christmas surprise package from the good folks at Cleaveland I have finished dimpling the horizontal stabilizer frame and skin. Getting ready to rivet some skins for good :eek: Feeling pretty good about that months of careful work and much figuring is coming to fruition.

Does anyone have some tips for "peeling the skins back enough (and holding them) to allow for bucking the rivets along the forward spar? I fit the skin today and it's quite still, especially towards the tip.

More HS by jim_soutar, on Flickr

More HS by jim_soutar, on Flickr

That's NOT a big wing, but they are finished. (mostly)

Well, FINALLY. The wings are finished, save for a couple hours work on the left wingtip. There are still a few clecoes in it. I moved them to the little shop today, and could not help but lay them out (minus the dihedral) and take a picture:
21c83l0.jpg

Time to finish the fuselage jig, and hang the firewall on it! I have LOTS of room now. :rolleyes: (2 car attached garage)

Let's keep smashin' rivets folks!

Gregg

Canopy Complete

Yes, we do have a rollbar. It's just not installed yet.
84edfd83b9bfcec3925df47d07e2a4bc_zpsef181dde.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
d55def1e01df012ea08e72450f292f6e_zps790bb1c8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
c15efa44fb131555fc912e23cb804bcf_zps2cb0859d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
1f5e6a9d46eee7612d351f4de9903ea1_zps34a24fcd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My engine is almost ready to assemble. We decided to overhaul because the camshaft and accessory gears were badly corroded. It's getting 8.5:1 pistons to make it a 160hp.
7ddf18446d8a37379cf25a77492e9190_zpsa277f74b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
afaccb8e1977456be18490f36e1c0eb4_zps0525a654.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Linear actuator

It's a taxi lock. It will secure to a pin on the roll bar. The picture shows it in the retracted position. The two "ears" are spring loaded so when the actuator is extended it will catch on the pin. There is a hidden button under the canopy frame rail that will retract the actuator so you can leave it cracked on hot days while you are outside. That way your valuables can still be secure.
We thought of all kinds of scenarios where the system might lock you out, but we built it in a way that you could manually override the lock if the electrical failed.

Looking good Arlie and thanks for sharing. I'm always looking forward to seeing what you've done next on this project.

Arlie, be sure to remove all the paint on the cylinder attach faces. You don't want paint between any parts held by short cylinder studs.

Back