What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Call from FAA

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Hello all you avionics experts. I just received a phone call followed by an email from the FAA stating the following:
?This letter is providing written notification that the FAA has monitored flights by this aircraft in which the installed ADS-B Out system failed to comply with equipment performance requirements specified in 14 CFR ?91.227.?
I do not have ADS-B Out. I have the standard dynon skyview system used on many ELSA rv-12?s, sn 278. I believe it is a mode S Trig transponder,(not home to confirm).
Has anyone out there experienced this?.
The email went on to say I must resolve the issue within 45 days but I am uncertain how to do this.
I guess I will visit an avionics shop next week.

Thanks in advance.
Tom O.

If you have the Dynon transponder you are most likely broadcasting ADS-B out. If you have the low power transponder or the non-2020 GPS receiver, this could be your problem. Call Dynon or me tomorrow and they or I can help you disable your ads-b out until you can become compliant.

Got an email and a phone call from the FAA. I don?t have ADSB out yet so like you I was surprised. I?ve got the Trig TT-31 mode S transponder without a GPS source. When I talked to the SE region FAA rep he was very nice and said no worries as long as I equip by 2020. What flagged it was the lack of GPS position. I suspect the closer we get to the deadline, the more this is going to happen. No 75 day deadline. I?m not an attorney or with the FAA but the last time I checked, the deadline is January 1, 2020, and then only in airspace that requires it.

I received a registered letter from the FAA FSDO in Houston about the same thing. However, there are a few issues: 1) my airplane does not have ADS-B, 2) the letter states I was flying around HOU at 1145P thru 0200A. 3) During that time period my airplane was securely in it's hangar in Omaha, NE, unflyable due to being in the middle of it's condition inspection. and 4) it was identified by an N# that is only reserved for future use, I have not even applied to put it into use yet.

A search of variations of my reserved N# turned up no active aircraft even close.

I wonder why FAA personnel are monitoring the movements of aircraft? Maybe time to get a tin-foil hat?

Weird.

George

I received a registered letter from the FAA FSDO in Houston about the same thing. However, there are a few issues: 1) my airplane does not have ADS-B, 2) the letter states I was flying around HOU at 1145P thru 0200A. 3) During that time period my airplane was securely in it's hangar in Omaha, NE, unflyable due to being in the middle of it's condition inspection. and 4) it was identified by an N# that is only reserved for future use, I have not even applied to put it into use yet.

A search of variations of my reserved N# turned up no active aircraft even close.

I wonder why FAA personnel are monitoring the movements of aircraft? Maybe time to get a tin-foil hat?

Weird.

George

Likely somebody else used the mode-s code associated with your N number in his ADS-B equipment. Just last weekend I followed in another airplane on landing and the N number I received from him via ADS-B didn?t match the one he was reporting on the radio or had painted on the airplane. No idea if that was intentional or if he had just made a typo setting the ADS-B up. I told him on the radio what I saw and he said Thank you .... .

Oliver

Weird.

George

I suspect this will be the biggest headache for ADSB. As long as there are humans entering the ICAO codes, their are going to be typos. It's just random bad luck that somebody put your code in by accident.

There is an easy method to check even if you don't have ADSB installed. Just request a PAPR periodically for your aircraft. If they respond with a report that has data, you know somebody is masquerading as your aircraft. :eek:

For those with the Dynon 261 transponder, just install the Dynon ADSB compatible GPS puck or connect a certified GPS to the transponder and you should be good to go. The Dynon 472 works well as a receiver for ADSB-IN.

Along the lines of your aircraft being tracked around Houston when it was actually in the hanger..... I looked on one of the flight tracking software for my N number and saw there was a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Stuart, Florida. My plane has never been any further south than Lakeland for Sun N Fun. There's even a photo of my plane just above the posted flight path. That photo was taken by someone of me leaving Sun N Fun several years ago. I don't know how this happens. I thought maybe ATC keyed in the wrong N number or something like that.

I have a friend who has a classic airplane that lacks a transponder, but FlightAware sees its tail number flying around Texas and Oklahoma from time to time. Thing is, he’s based in PA and that airplane hasn’t been outside of PA or NY in probably close to forty years. Someone mad a mistake somewhere...

What to look forward to

These letters are what we can expect to look forward to when our adsb starts acting up. They shouldn't act up, but then again, seems like we all have issues with avionics at some point. Once it starts taking a lot of FAA resourses sending these letters out, then I would expect a fine in the near term if not resolved in a timely manner. Of course, the next step would be user fees but that another topic for another day.

However, that being said, ADSB does make a lot of folks feel better. Im glad my cub dont have no electronics.......yet. :(

I got the letter. Funny thing is, I had just gotten back from a 2400 mile round trip to Oshkosh but the flight that they tracked discrepancies was 2 days later on a 20 mile flight around my 1 horse town in Garden City Texas! I called Dynon and they told me it appears that the FAA is renigging on the deal they made with Dynon to let the GPS 250 suffice for ADSB out until 2020. I bit the bullet and bought the GPS 2020 cause I was going to have to have it anyway soon.

ADS-B

I received a letter from the FAA indicating my ADS-B out was not in compliance. I contacted Gulf Coast Avionics and spoke with Sarah Smith there. She had me bring in my RV-7A and they went over it, adjusted whatever it is they adjust and it works great. She emailed me a printout confirming it was functioning properly. It?s not really big deal nor is it cause for concern. The FAA test aircraft randomly. Just take it to your avionics shop and they can adjust whatever it is they adjust and you should be okay.

The plot thickens

Just think a person could configure his or her Ads-b out to show up as your aircraft and then fly out of your airport to somewhere else then commit some awful crime and return to your airport. Then shut off the system and fly back to where they live under radar to escape... And the police would have you on the hot seat until you could prove your innocence.....

I received a letter from the FAA indicating my ADS-B out was not in compliance. I contacted Gulf Coast Avionics and spoke with Sarah Smith there. She had me bring in my RV-7A and they went over it, adjusted whatever it is they adjust and it works great. She emailed me a printout confirming it was functioning properly. It?s not really big deal nor is it cause for concern. The FAA test aircraft randomly. Just take it to your avionics shop and they can adjust whatever it is they adjust and you should be okay.

I can think of very few reasons to take my RV to an avionics shop and this is not one of them.

Just think a person could configure his or her Ads-b out to show up as your aircraft and then fly out of your airport to somewhere else then commit some awful crime and return to your airport. Then shut off the system and fly back to where they live under radar to escape... And the police would have you on the hot seat until you could prove your innocence.....
Hmmmm, committing a crime while pretending to be someone else sounds a like something humans have been doing for centuries before ADS-B. :rolleyes:

In current US airspace I think for the ADS-B out system to operate a Mode C transponder needs to be operating simultaneously. Would it be possible to examine recorded FAA ADS-B data and radar data to find a mismatch of the HEX id numbers between the two devices?

Carl

Back