What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 Rear View Mirrors

10w

I'm New Here
I?m looking to source a couple of mirrors to fit to our RV8.

I?ve seen the old threads on this subject but the difficulty is I?m in the UK and can?t find the various suggested mirrors online or on sale over here.

I do have a cousin in Oregon so if I can get him exact details of the mirror make and model and the retail outlet, he can probably source them for me and bring them next time he visits Europe.

Any updated suggestions and product details please ?

Loving the RV8 and the grins they spread across the world.

Cheers

Derek
G-JBTR Prestwick, Scotland

I?ve seen the old threads on this subject but the difficulty is I?m in the UK and can?t find the various suggested mirrors online or on sale over here.

I do have a cousin in Oregon so if I can get him exact details of the mirror make and model and the retail outlet, he can probably source them for me and bring them next time he visits Europe.

Cheers

Derek

I wondered where she ended up. Cant help with the mirrors. Bob and the man who built my 7 were in basic training together. If you see me in G-MRVL come and say hello.

ebay is your friend

I bought some on ebay and they were very cheap. They have lots and lots of options now. Do a search for rear view mirror or blind spot mirror. You will find something I'm sure.

Cheers

Derek

Years ago, my friend FLYNWEST here at VAF was selling them. I have a set for my RV-6 and they are the same ones that an RV-8 will use.

Cheers

Derek

Derek, Congrats on buying Bob's -8. That was the first -8 that I flew in back in 2013 off a small grass strip in Ireland south of Dublin right on the Irish Sea. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...lis&project=2170&category=0&log=177302&row=94

I was hooked. You have a terrific plane!

I know a few people have made their own from 3mm Perspex mirror sheet.

Yes I made a few of those. Got the mirror sheet from Amazon. Cuts and shapes easily.

Then I fashioned a clamp out of a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe (thick wall). Glued ad screwed a backing plate to the PVC pipe and screwed the mirror onto that with two small screws. Works fine. I'd show pics but I no longer have photobucket.

RV_6 Flyer, chopperchops & Saville

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. A few options there.

Northernliving

It's a small world and made even smaller when you fly a RV :D Bob's professional approach and attention to perfection has certainly given myself and my co-owner an aircraft to cherish.

Don Patrick

I had a look at those and they seem quite expensive compared to other potential 'home made' options. There might also be no guarantee that they can be adapted to fit the RV-8. Thanks though, appreciate your post.

mike newall

No Mike, it's so that we can watch them eat our smoke if they ever take up air racing :cool:

Derek Pake
Co-owner
Vans RV-8 G-JBTR 'Wee Vans'
Prestwick
Scotland

Last edited:
Any auto parts store here has them. I've got two, one small and one big, lying on my bench while I try to figure out which size would work best for me. (They're not flat, but rather concave--and not glass, but rather plastic) If you want, I'll take a picture of them, send it to you, and if you like, I'll mail you one or a pair to England--my treat.:)

Donaziza

Many thanks. I will drop you a line.

Cheers

Derek Pake
Co owner
Vans RV8 G-JBTR
Prestwick
Scotland

Back