What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-7

BillL

Well Known Member
It finally happened. A very cool, but calm day.

Heavy left wing, but otherwise very familiar handling characteristics. The cabin heat worked nicely at 6500 ft and 25F. A little draft from the spar box.

Smooth and wiggled at ~47 kts with 20 deg flaps. Nice cruise at ~150kts with 23" and 2340 rpm.

Now comes the tuning, data collection and airmanship proficiency improvement.
Several people deserve some personal thanks, as well as the VAF members at large. A new beginning.

1K9Z7-tx_xIow-vhsjcwx5fF2iut3ZvYu8YnnYz5WWyzoC8_l54SD5IpPjvLYtTCQxQ8mTOM587Cn7o6JCFfvCXlTPLAWuWJTUzg0Y3KtgGgWs5USN6V8j7dz_tC5GI9TdqHkU-Xbmk-SPwOseT5qo3gKuRiClaG5bkb-SsRQ2orwbjSSkUuLdUiCfkLaZKbfEaK0fNwmGgwd1DCPICUUP_E3u4PrDhLhsf5g96JQu2z3Y9GGwBcPi7NrB-uT1iATW1WFLF4iIPAt6ICrYM4YBp5zjz4buolnKUhGr1SGtMDGF42itgHBwrrpt0G30MqNL6UMYT2_EPLIhdr5JwmoMdlnhjAsTUJM56shTFto4PxMJXUreGJatZYBRxw5YycI4fs2M6gVkwFc3LLue7PKMVIpRrPBDDU_0zpR9wue_Pbg_HlXJhZQfYp81HwQVUkWVGM2GpdA3rJ0rPB-Wnzb36VI_-e4pns1Ji2PAXixxPjxLeCiRJGhlURhT2F2tND4CAByXxMgcemSrUhF0cOeXOfx809FlJ5aatySdCr8WHHsjLzCf01GzjfL5Y_1Lr4ZcJf1Pxt1uB-C2FFNNh6XZV140VqLhQE7YLHnAwzZSwp2irm0sSpdQi5WyJ_tsodyvrBaqh4comj9ukAomfwVjofiOHcTNZ9=w545-h726-no

Awesome Bill! A couple of more weeks will make a year since my first flight. A very momentous occasion and fun times! It just keeps getting better! Many congrats to you!

Congratulations Bill!

Bill,
The life won't be the same. Enjoy her! Please keep contributing don't go away as many of us did after Phase One. :)

Congratulations Bill!

Looking forward to performance reports on the wide chord composite Hartzell and on your beautifully made plenum. I'm about a month behind you with a similar setup.

CONGRAT!!! Polish, don't paint. Lots of work but will be an eye catcher at the $100 burger ramp -- especially to the non-flying dreamers dining at the local airport café wherever she takes you.

congratulations

Way to go Bill, I will have to get back to C75 soon and ck it out or if you get this way PNT let know and I will meet you at the airport.
DaveK
N25DK

Thanks Guys !!

It is still a thrill even after all the years of building. :D

Vlad: Yep I will be gathering some (all kinds) data, so I will surely not go away. I have to follow your lead with some trips and reports. Junior version of course.

Merrill: I have begun with the tall rudder, it was just easier and I trained with it. Once the performance is settled and some spin tests done, then the short rudder will be installed. The plan is to enter Phase II with the short one.

Krea: Sorting out the precise test plan for plenum pressure recovery testing. I am still not used to the high thrust at throttle on, but it does not seem to have as much gyroscopic force on tail lift.. Team Aerodynamics guys report it helps in aero maneuvers, like over the top of a loop.

Bret: Yes it really looks it's size in that picture. Huge cord. When spinning the engine in the hangar with the starter- it made quite a breeze.

Nice

Bill,
Congrats on First Flight!
Great Picture too.
I see your James Cowl as well. Always prettier than the stock. ;)
Enjoy phase one!

Last edited:
FanTAStic! So VERY happy for you! I look forward to any and all reports from you during Phase I. Even more, I look forward to seeing you at our local IL fly-in eateries!

Nice!

Very nice Bill. Congratulations!

When we first compared birds I thought for sure you would beat me to it but squeaked it out. I am going to fly the Rockies for the first time in a couple weeks. One of many things to look forward to.

Back