What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness certificate limitations..???..?...

Cjorg

Went to my dpe today for private pilot check ride in my rv9a that I co own and purchased flying. I am not familiar with experimental process since i did not build plane but the dpe said he would not do check ride because I only have the special airworthiness certificate but do not have the limitations that go with certificate. Can someone tell me what he is talking about and how I can get a copy of limitations? Do I get them from builder? FAA? This is 2nd check ride I have not been able to do with this plane. Last week another dpe would not fit in plane cause his legs were too big and stick did not move freely. I passed oral. He never said anything about limitations but the 2nd guy would not do check ride without them. Help!

The limitations should be with the airworthiness certificate - the plane is not legal without them in the aircraft. They are in the form of a few 8.5" x 11" sheets listing all the special limitations for your aircraft. Many of them are only in effect for the Phase 1 but the entire packet stays with the airplane - after all, you may reenter Phase 1 if you modify the aircraft. If they are not with the rest of the aircraft's paperwork, you will have to chase back to the person who sold you the aircraft to find out what happened to them. I am not sure if the FAA can help you retrieve a copy of them but that would be my second step if you can't locate them through the original builder.

I am not sure if the FAA can help you retrieve a copy of them but that would be my second step if you can't locate them through the original builder.

Yep - the FAA can definitely give you a copy. Possibly a FSDO, I paid $10 on the FAA website to get em on a CD ROM (along with the entire 'file' they had on my aircraft). Showed up <1 wk later with PDFs on it.

As mentioned above: If you don't have the oplims with your airworthiness certificate it is not legal to fly the aircraft.

Last edited:
Yep - the FAA can definitely give you a copy. Possibly a FSDO, I paid $10 on the FAA website to get em on a CD ROM (along with the entire 'file' they had on my aircraft). Showed up <1 wk later with PDFs on it.

As mentioned above: If you don't have the oplims with your airworthiness certificate it is not legal to fly the aircraft.

Ask Kevin has said, they are part of the Special Airworthiness Certificate (8130-7) and a copy must be in the aircraft.

You should be able to get a copy from Oklahoma City. They have FAXed copies out in the past but IMHO, a FAX copy is hard to read. Any FAA office can get an electronic copy from Oklahoma City then print and give you a copy. DAR's also can get ecopies almost instantly from Oklahoma City for a few dollars.

Went to my dpe today for private pilot check ride in my rv9a that I co own and purchased flying. I am not familiar with experimental process since i did not build plane but the dpe said he would not do check ride because I only have the special airworthiness certificate but do not have the limitations that go with certificate.

Ok, I'll say it. You need to aggressively educate yourself immediately. Before you or anyone else flies this aircraft again. It sounds like you need a whole lot more information than the simple answer to this question.
Even if you find that the op lims are buried in a folder under the seat, you really need to know what makes any aircraft you fly legal and safe to do so. I'm sure the FAA would like to know who your CFI was that signed you off to take the exam in this airplane. He should be quite embarrassed.

Back