What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Wings w/ Fuse on Dolly

lr172

Well Known Member
I would like to get my wings painted and out of the garage. However, I need to fit them first before painting to get all of the nutplates on for the gap covers. I am not ready to put the fuse on the gear yet and was wondering if anyone has put the wings on with the fuse on a dolly. I did this on my 6, but those wings were much lighther. It would seem that as long as I have good support under the spar carry through I should have no issues. My current dolly supports under the web in front of the spar, so would have to fabricate a new brace or move the fuse forward a foot.

Curious what others have done.

Larry

I did it that way. The only downside for me was that it was a real bear to trim the flaps and I could not fit/drill the wing/fuse fairings on the bottom of the wings because the trolley was in the way.

In the next week or so, I'm gonna invite folks over to re-fit the wings so I can do the bottom wing/fuse fairings and the upper gear intersection fairings. Then the wings head to the painter.

This worked well for me.......If you have a table/or equivalent of the approx height required with a single foam mattress on top, and the table has castors fitted, then after getting a friend to help put the wing on the mattress, it’s an easy one man job to fit the wings cause it can be pushed/rolled into place and “rocked” up or down on the mattress to align the holes. Cheers from Western Australia

Back