What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX-327 Software Updates

jliltd

Well Known Member
I have an RV-3B and Nanchang CJ6 with GTX 327 transponders. I wish to install UAT out in each amd Freeflight amongst others allows digital control of their units by the GTX-327. I successfully installed a Freeflight RANGR Lite in an Aviat Husky with a GTX-327 earlier this year. I have 3 more 327s and two GTX-32s on the shelf for future UAT use.

What software level is required in the GTX-327/32 for proper serial interface to directly talk to units such as the Freeflight and uAvionix UAT boxes?

Garmin used to provide software updates to the GTX-327 during OSH as a courtesy but stopped doing that specifically for the 327 a couple of years ago. They still do it for the 330 and newer units.

In the spirit of DIY homebuilders everywhere I can build up the software programming harness for the GTX 32/327 and even have an older laptop with serial ports. I have the procedural instructions to do this including providing a load for the antenna connector. How can I get my hands on the windows software and drivers and latest firmware for these Mode C transponders?

Respoond here or PM.

Thanks,

Jim

My GTX327 has never been upgraded in the 7 years I've owned it. When I received my NavWorx EXP box (yes, I know...) over a year ago, I ran RS232 out from the 327 to the EXP box. ADS-B in to my GRT Sport SX. All worked fine. Still does. It's not clear to me that any software updates are required, unless I'm missing something.

If you have very old GTX327 software/firmware, the RS-232 Input/Output configuration page does not even show up. I'm not sure what the required software version is but as long as you can configure the RS-232 you are good to go.

Last edited:
Just as a data point to ponder, this year at OSH, 7 of us who were traveling together removed our 327's from our planes, walked over to the Garmin tent and left them to have the software updated. A couple of hours later all 7 were finished. So, I know of at least 7 RV flyers with updates we were able to obtain at OSH 2017.

As for the question of why it would be needed. Well, several of us have plans to install the GDL82 once it becomes available. It was explained to us that the updated software would better facilitate that installation.

If you have any questions about the software and any updates, might I suggest contacting the G3Xpert guys and discussing it with them. They actually monitor this site so perhaps they will even reply to this thread.

If my memory is correct, 2.06 is the minimum software to remotely control the ADSB. My 327 in my RV had that when I bought it back in 2009 so I know that it is not a recent software version.

Listening to this thread, and interested in the answers to the OP. I need a transponder for the M2, have a 480 already, and pretty much think an old 327 (but usable) and the EchoUAT are my conus solutions for ADSB.......

Actually yes, the Echo installation instructions show an option to hard wire to the GTX 327 for control, eliminating the need for it's internal sniffer function. Same with the Freeflight UAT. In the case of the Freeflight one must use the included control head (Trig) in conjunction with an analog legacy transponder. This control head becomes optional when interfaced with the GTX 327 because this digital transponder can directly control the Freeflight remote box.

This is the same case for the Echo. I would hard wire an Echo to a GTX 327 as a matter of course. Direct communication is always better than a wireless sniffer.

Jim

Check with Uavionix, all TXP information may not

be sent from the 327 --- seems we were told that hard-wiring the 327 did not furnish complete data package and that the "sniffer" function was still required.

Ron

Perhaps a dumb question. Please be kind.

I have a 430W and a GTX327. I'm thinking this echoUAT is perfect for my needs.

From what I can tell I put one little box in and run 1 wire from the 430W for position, 1 wire from the GTX327 and I'll be compliant.

The question: Does the GTX327 still need an antenna or can the existing antenna be connected directly to the echoUAT?

I would choose not to use the wireless sensing feature in favor of the wire between 327 and eUAT.

Thanks!

The question: Does the GTX327 still need an antenna or can the existing antenna be connected directly to the echoUAT?
Yes, The GTX327 still needs its own antenna.
The echoUAT will use a separate antenna. Per the echoUAT install manual section 7.8.1, the antenna should mounted a minimum of 1 meter away from any transponder, comm, or ADF antenna and 2 meters from any RNAV antenna.

"From what I can tell I put one little box in and run 1 wire from the 430W for position, 1 wire from the GTX327 and I'll be compliant."

I would check into this but for the 430W to be used as position will need an update as well. Done at the local avionics shop. It adds the capability to program the 430W serial out wire you mentioned for ADSB

Answer to the OP

Bruno,

We will bring our GTX 327 programming harness and software to enable us to update EAB customer GTX 327 transponders at Oshkosh to V2.12.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks,
Steve
--------------------------------------------------------
I can confirm that they were still doing it at OSH 2017

Thanks again Steve..:)

Bruno

I would check into this but for the 430W to be used as position will need an update as well. Done at the local avionics shop. It adds the capability to program the 430W serial out wire you mentioned for ADSB

The software has to be about 2 years old or newer. Look at the setup menus, see what RS232 formats are available. You need ?ADSB+?. Just ?ADSB? is not good enough. Garmin dealers seem to charge about $100 to install it (takes 15 minutes).

Hello,

This is from a previous posting.

For those using Garmin IFR navigators, the software should be at least to the versions identified below:

GNS/GPS 4XXW/5XXW (e.g. GPS 400W, GNS 430W, GNS 530W)
Main software version 5.03 or later and GPS software version 5.0 or later

GTN 6XX/7XX (e.g. GTN 650 and GTN 750)
Main software version 3.00 or later and GPS software version 5.0 or later

GNS 480
Main software version 2.4 and GPS software version 5.1
Aviation Service Document

GTX 23ES and GTX330ES Transponders
Main software version 7.00 or later (V7.04 released in 2014)

The RS-232 serial output port on the GNS or GTN unit providing position data to the transponder should be set to "ADS-B+".

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello,

There is some additional information on GTX 327 software here and here.

Thanks,
Steve

Bit late to this 327 game, but am I reading elsewhere that Garmin dealers and corporate in general wont s/w update 327s any more? And you are doing it at OSH just because......?

Much appreciated and maybe smart

Bit late to this 327 game, but am I reading elsewhere that Garmin dealers and corporate in general wont s/w update 327s any more? And you are doing it at OSH just because......?

I was one of the people who received the update at oshkosh, I updated due to the release of the GDL 82 which meant I could keep my 327 (which works well) and have a simple ADSB out solution (power wire and GPS puck), I already have the GDL 39 for ADSB in and all my RS232 stuff is connected and working.

I think the ADSB solutions that allow the use of the existing transponders open up a new lease of life for products like the 327 and as such I suspect dealers may rethink their position if it means they can sell an adjunct garmin product.

A few months ago used 327's were selling cheap, may not stay that way once people realize they are not dead in 2020.
Figs

Hello Mani,

Garmin and its dealers are still supporting the GTX 327 with software updates.

The GTX 327 is one of the best and most popular transponders ever sold, and the GDL 82 gives it legs to stay flying past 2020.

Did we mention you can fly in anonymous mode with the GDL 82 anytime you are squawking 1200? :)

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Mani,

Garmin and its dealers are still supporting the GTX 327 with software updates.

The GTX 327 is one of the best and most popular transponders ever sold, and the GDL 82 gives it legs to stay flying past 2020.

Did we mention you can fly in anonymous mode with the GDL 82 anytime you are squawking 1200? :)

Thanks,
Steve

Ok thanks. I guess I got the wrong drift on the thread I read. Not unusual for me, so I'm glad I asked!
Btw the guys over on this thread are looking for an update from you on the 82..... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=151516

Last edited:
Sorry to bring up an old thread but...

I'm wondering if the Garmin Team will be doing free software updates on GTX-327's at Kosh this year for us still running these older units and adding them to a G3X panel?

(Also...Anybody happen to know if you can bring a transponder on a commercial flight as "carry on" without a full activation of some panic system:eek:)

Thanks!

Garmin just answered my question here... Thanks Guys!:)

Hello,

We will once again provide free software upgrades for Garmin Mode S transponders (and the GTX 327) used in Experimental aircraft at Oshkosh.

Just bring your GTX 327, 23ES/33ES/330/330ES, 35R/45R/335/335R/345/345R transponder in to us at the Garmin tent at Oshkosh and we will install the latest software into your transponder while you wait. It only takes a few minutes to accomplish this update.

Here are the latest versions:
GTX 23ES/33ES/330/330ES: V8.04, Jan 2018

GTX 35R/45R/335/335R/345/345R: V2.12, June 2018

GTX 327:
GTX 327 V2.10 software was released in Feb. 2014 and is the latest software for all GTX 327 units manufactured before July 2014.

GTX 327 V2.12 software was released in July 2014 to support newer hardware in the GTX 327 units manufactured after that date.

GTX 327 V2.13 software was released in Aug. 2017 to address an altitude reporting issue only when using a Gillham based altitude encoder with GTX 327 (011-00490-00) serial numbers 83750922 to 83752847 or GTX 327 (011-00490-10) serial numbers 84000356 to 84000357.

We are located across from the EAA Welcome Center and the Ford tent. If you look at the Airventure grounds map, this is grid K13. From homebuilt camping, just follow Knapp street South to Celebration Way (the main entry street) and turn left.

Sorry, but we are not equipped to perform sign-offs for certified aircraft, so please only bring us transponders that are installed in experimental aircraft.

That's what I have in my Lancair, and it passed all the FAA tests. But now you've got me wondering what my GTX 327 software version is. Does that flash by on the startup screen? How does one determine the software version?

That's what I have in my Lancair, and it passed all the FAA tests. But now you've got me wondering what my GTX 327 software version is. Does that flash by on the startup screen? How does one determine the software version?

Hello,

Yes, the software version is shown on the power-up page.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I love my GDL-82. The installation was straightforward, and so was the programming. Did I ever post how I programmed it? We don't need no steenkin' laptops!

83hxc9.jpg

Garmin SOFTWARE UPDATE Question

Having multiple Garmin products, I like to keep my firmware updated to the latest levels. For each product I usually have to search around to see if there is an update, and what has changed. Quite time consuming.

Does Garmin have a website page that simply lists the latest software levels for each of their products? A quick scan of this page would indicate if any of my products have an update available.

If you do not have this, could it be something you could put online in the near future?

Mine is running 2.09.. I guess I'll be looking to update it once I'm home from Afghanistan..

I also have the GNS430 and GPSMap496 in my RV.. but Garmin wants $5k to update the 430 to a 430W.. Seems insane to me I guess.. but 'certified avionics' == more money for sure.

Back