What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show your rudder cable exit covers

The best picture I could find Vlad.

I had a few scrap pieces and made these and then pro-sealed them on.

Homemade

I drew up some simple templates on paper, then bent these using a bending brake and hand seamer. The are 3" long and conveniently miss the screw for the interior adel clamp that holds the rudder cable sleeve in place.

IMG_1088-M.jpg

The side against the skin is primed. I had to use the back rivet set (with the spring loaded sleeve retracted) to set the tiny "oops" rivets, since the flange isn't wide enough to get the flush rivet set on there. You could always bond these on with proseal instead.

Me too!

"AVERY", the only thing I should add is we put a peace of nylon tube around the cable and then put the cover over it to hold it in place. This will save you having the cable rub on the metal. Hope this helps. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Vlad, I used the ones Avery sells but installed them on the inside. Just make the hole a little larger and stick the fairing out thru the hole, countersink the rivets and apply a little fill around the fairing and it makes a smooth transition. No flanges seen on the outside.

Pro Seal as adhesive?

It's certainly sticky stuff, but so is Cream of Wheat in the pot. Is standard mix Pro Seal sufficient adhesive to be used for this sort of application? What other uses might it work for and why not simply use epoxy or other dedicated adhesives?

It's certainly sticky stuff, but so is Cream of Wheat in the pot. Is standard mix Pro Seal sufficient adhesive to be used for this sort of application?

Absolutely.

What other uses might it work for and why not simply use epoxy or other dedicated adhesives?

Fillets around canopies (proseal will accept paint), and gluing a myriad of odds and ends in the plane and around the shop. Been using the stuff as an adhesive for years.

Last edited:
Are these fairings mostly for looks? I can't imagine them being any more slippery than just running the tubes out the fuselage a bit:

rudder_cable_outlet.jpg

Back