What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy jettison handle?

Roy25101

I was watching the -14 walk around video on Van's site and noticed the gentleman mention a "canopy jettison handle". He pointed to a T handle protruding from the upper center of the instrument panel. I was wondering if that is included with standard kits or was it there for testing. If it is standard, is it there for emergency egress or some other purpose. The best I can tell there is a issue getting out of these types of aircraft when upside down so any improvements in design would certainly be welcome. Thanks in advance.

The canopy jettison handle was standard in the RV-6, the first SBS RV, from the very beginning. The addition of the hold-up struts made jettisoning in flight questionable. I still don't have struts on mine and would never install them. But that's just me. Obviously most others don't agree.

If you install the jettison mechanism, I recommend removing the struts while test flying and acro.

The jettison also makes canopy removal very easy for maintenance behind the panel.

The design of the RV-14 canopy system is totally different from the one on the other SBS airplanes.

The struts do not attach directly to the canopy. They attach to the hinging system which the canopy frame disconnects from when the handle is pulled.

The design of the RV-14 canopy system is totally different from the one on the other SBS airplanes.

The struts do not attach directly to the canopy. They attach to the hinging system which the canopy frame disconnects from when the handle is pulled.

I try to learn at least one new thing every day. Thanks for the assist!

Finally!

Great to hear about this improvement. It should solve some thorny issues like jettison safety without compromising lifting ease, improving normal ingress and egress and changes in frame geometry caused by the strut

I always wondered why Van's didn't implement a canopy lifting and latching mechanism like on the 2 seat Lancairs and Diamond series.

It sounds like the 14 also addresses the nose gear issues. Good improvements all around.

I may be in the minority but I decided not to have a canopy jettison handle on my panel. I don't have a desire to do acrobatics and I can't think of too many good reasons to bail out. Especially if I don't plan on wearing a chute. Anybody else going this rout?

Anybody else going this rout?

Yes and no. I plan on occasional aerobatics and want to have the handle when wearing a parachute. If I'm not doing aerobatics and not wearing a parachute I don't want it there. So I'm thinking of a removable handle of some sort.

I will go without the handle and aerobatics until I do come up with a good removable handle.

I have installed the mechanism forward of the sub panel to allow easy removal of the canopy, but will safety wire the lever handle on the mechanism to the rib and omit a connecting handle through the main instrument panel. Reasoning: 1) I don't expect to eject the canopy in flight because the canopy offers a significant degree of protection to occupants including in a rollover 2) (and very secondary) the handle position is prime real estate on the center stack.

On my -7A, the mechanism is installed but the handle has been shortened so it does not protrude into the cockpit. (So I can still easily remove the canopy if I have to)

I do limited aerobatics and don't wear a chute. I suppose if I wanted to start playing around with some weird manoeuvres, I would set it up for an escape, but at the moment...

John

Canopy Handle

I have all the kits, and so far no release handle. Don't know when or if I will ever get one. I have given up on Van's supplying anything further on this supposed complete kit.

I have all the kits, and so far no release handle. Don't know when or if I will ever get one. I have given up on Van's supplying anything further on this supposed complete kit.

It's a shame we have to feel this way. Off line I've spoken to a few builders that share the same sentiment.

RV-14 Kits

Yes, I agree. I thought this would be a very complete kit when I first started this build. Having built an RV-3 and RV-8, and having to think everything out, I was hoping this would be more of an assembly job, but alas, not to be. It is a great airframe, but as I approach the final part of the build, I am frustrated by the lack of items and data I need to finish up. I don't understand why Van's won't address this issue.

I may be in the minority but I decided not to have a canopy jettison handle on my panel. I don't have a desire to do acrobatics and I can't think of too many good reasons to bail out. Especially if I don't plan on wearing a chute. Anybody else going this rout?

I think someone mentioned ditching (on a separate thread) as a reason to have the jettison handle in place. I'm not sure if it would make much difference vs just unlatching and pushing the canopy open like you normally would, but I'll take all the help I can get if I'm upside down trapped inside a sinking airplane. I don't fly over water much but even in the mid-west there are some runways where an engine failure on approach or departure could result in no option but the lake or river...

Canopy Jettison Handle

Here is a picture of my Canopy jettison handle.

I fabricated the rod out of some left over tube and threaded the inside to accept threaded rod so I could attach the handle. The handle was purchased at the hardware store. I also put a rubber grommet in the panel to keep the rod from jiggling around.

The flash makes the label look funny.

20160513_150008.jpg

I think someone mentioned ditching (on a separate thread) as a reason to have the jettison handle in place. I'm not sure if it would make much difference vs just unlatching and pushing the canopy open like you normally would, but I'll take all the help I can get if I'm upside down trapped inside a sinking airplane.
If you've ever seen a video of someone trying to open a car door under water, you'll know why. Even if you wait for the cockpit to fill up, it will take a fair amount of effort to move that large bubble through the water to open it. And that's assuming the airframe hasn't twisted and somehow locked the canopy in place.

I'd rather jettison it on the way down (if there's time, and if i'm wearing my helmet so I can still see after it's gone), or at a bare minimum have it unlocked, unlatched, and the release handle pulled, before I hit the water. The momentum will rip the canopy off and throw it ahead of the aircraft as the aircraft comes to a stop. At that point, even if i'm inverted into the water, the canopy is gone and not in my way anymore.

Sooo, is a jettison handle included in the finish kit? Looking at the finished aircraft so far, not many are installing these handles.

The handle is in my kit. A few minor items missing which Van's promptly replaced. This is a complex kit and for me, each kit, as they have arrived over time have shown improvements in packaging and documentation. Early adopters should expect some growing pains. I have been building for 24 years and this product is amazing in both quality of parts and the step by step procedures.

Jettison Handle

Yep, the canopy hinge release mechanism parts are in the fuselage kit and the Jettison handle itself is in the finish kit. At least it was in mine. Received it a couple of months ago.

Here is a picture of my Canopy jettison handle.

I fabricated the rod out of some left over tube and threaded the inside to accept threaded rod so I could attach the handle. The handle was purchased at the hardware store. I also put a rubber grommet in the panel to keep the rod from jiggling around.

The flash makes the label look funny.

20160513_150008.jpg

Any chance to see behind the panel to see how this works???

Back