What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New builder (possibly)

Dave12

Well Known Member
Hey fellers, I am thinking about moving up two notches to a 14. Yes, I am fixin to squeeze the trigger on a 14 (RV not mini, but I like those too). I have been pondering this for several years and have decided to make the decision at Kosh next month. I am wondering which prop, which engine, who has the deals, y'all know what I mean? I am fairly firm on Advance 5600's and Avidyne. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Do it

Hey fellers, I am thinking about moving up two notches to a 14. Yes, I am fixin to squeeze the trigger on a 14 (RV not mini, but I like those too). I have been pondering this for several years and have decided to make the decision at Kosh next month. I am wondering which prop, which engine, who has the deals, y'all know what I mean? I am fairly firm on Advance 5600's and Avidyne. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Write the check:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Oohrah

Already planning for engine and prop.....like the enthusiasm!
Get r done.
Welcome to the 14 build club!

Vans has engine/prop deals on the IO-390 and Hartzell prop for show season. There are some flying with the Superior XP400 motor too. Seems like there are most flying or building with the Hartzell aluminum prop and a few with the Hartzell composite prop or MT or Whirlwind composite props. I am over in northern VA if you want to come by and check my build out.

Vans has engine/prop deals on the IO-390 and Hartzell prop for show season. There are some flying with the Superior XP400 motor too. Seems like there are most flying or building with the Hartzell aluminum prop and a few with the Hartzell composite prop or MT or Whirlwind composite props. I am over in northern VA if you want to come by and check my build out.

I will take you up on that. How far along are you?

I got 10% off a thunderbolt IO-390 at Sun-N-Fun and another $2000 off for purchasing the engine with the prop ... there is a 3-4 month lead time on IO-390s, already got the prop. I won't even need either until close to the end of the year but couldn't pass up on the savings.

I was wondering if one you guys could measure the distance between wing root and the canopy sill. The 12 is 8" and I am wondering how much higher the 14 is? Just curious how much higher I will have to haul my big feet over the sill?

Got mine up on the gear. Engine and prop about 3 weeks out and working on panel cutting with Stein right now. Hoping to fly in a year???

Last edited:
Got mine up on the gear. Engine and prop about 3 weeks out and working on panel cutting with Stein right now. Hoping to fly in a year???

Hey Chris, can you measure from the top of your spar carry through to the canopy sill for me?

Back