What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing stand/jig

dirtybirdy80

I'm New Here
I ordered my wing kit for my RV-8 a few weeks ago and need to start thinking about building a wing jig or stand to assemble the wing on.

Does anyone have any drawings, sketches, dimensions, etc for building a wing jig they can share with me?

Drawing 12 A top right corner

Put some full swivel wheels under it for easier handling in the shop.

You could have mine, but i doubt it is worth to travel to germany and back!
:D

Cheers!

Sorry!

First reply is for storing the already built wings!!

As mine were QB, maybe someone else can confirm, but i think for assembly of pre-punched wings you only need a flat table.

Again, cheers!

Drawing 12A for wing stand(s)

Drawing 12A is correct for a "Wing Stand" to build the wings in.

According to the drawing, you need TWO (2) 4 X 4 Vertical posts that is exactly 114" between them. Yes the 114 inches works perfect. My RV-8 left wing is almost complete and ready to come out.

There will be "arms" built out on one side of both 4 X 4s to support the wings. I used galvanized angle with holes in it that I got from Home Depot or Lowe's along with a few bolts / nuts / washers / lock washer.

There is enough info on the Preview / CD / USB plans to construct the holding fixture.

Last edited:
Look at where the dimensions are referenced to very closely. I put the insides of the posts at the prescribed distance, but you need to take into account the angle piece that the spar sits on. I had to notch my angle pieces because my posts were set too close together. Well and bolted to my garage floor.:D

Space between stands?

How much space is needed between the wing stands? I'm just about to reconfigure my workspace for wing construction.

Jig space

How much space is needed between the wing stands? I'm just about to reconfigure my workspace for wing construction.

If you mean how much room between the two wings, I used 3'.
More would have been nice but I was constrained as it was. Keep in mind, you need space each side of each wing.

I built two steel jigs. Basically the same as the Vans 4x4 method but mine were free standing bolted to the floor. My mentor did the 4x4 thing but his were glued to the floor. Use your imagination.

Thanks Larry,

That was what I was asking. I've got a fairly narrow space to work with and don't want to get them too close together.

-Ted

Any suggestions or ideas on how to secure the wing stand when bolting to the floor is not available? My garage is a tension slab so I cannot drill into it at all. Also, it is epoxy coated so I don’t know that glue would work either.

I put mine on high quality wheels ... I could roll it around and reposition it easily, and then lock the wheels to hold it in place; I had no issue with construction on the mobile stand.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to secure the wing stand when bolting to the floor is not available? My garage is a tension slab so I cannot drill into it at all. Also, it is epoxy coated so I don’t know that glue would work either.

I built my wings on a secondhand set of freestanding steel stands, like what wirejock is talking about. Normally those are bolted to the floor, but since I was in a rental house at the time, that wasn't really an option. So I built base frames out of dimensional lumber and bolted the stands to those with lag bolts. Worked out great.

The base frames had T-nuts and carriage bolts installed on the bottom; these acted as adjustable feet to help square up the frames. I also seem to recall using some shim material where the stands attached to the base, to ensure they ended up plumb.

Wide shot of the setup:
IMG_9028.jpg

Close up of the mid-span platform, which accommodates the screw jack to take the sag out of the rear spar:
IMG_9031.jpg

Last edited:
Back