What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-540 Oil Dipstick

JumpJack

I'm New Here
Hello all,

I have been searching for a replacement dipstick, for the 540 that came out of our Lancair. It originally came with markings on it that did not match up with actual levels. So, I used a pipe cutter to make new marks, and that has always worked ok. The problem is there?s two sets of markings, one with numbers and mine with just the lines. It?s always a little confusing.
So, 2 questions: Where is the best place to source a replacement? I?ve found the appropriate part number (LW-14756), and a few places that carry it, but there are no images so I have no idea what I?m actually getting.
Second, what?s the best way to mark it? (Not get the levels, I have that) but how to actually mark the tube with numbers and tick marks.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I have a dipstick and adapter for sale. It came off my IO-540. Number 7360 is in raised lettering. $50 plus shipping. If interested contact me at [email protected]

Thanks Chuck, but the problem might be he same. I doubt the markings will line up with the oil levels on my engine. If you have a picture, maybe we could measure from the top and see where yours are marked compared to mine

Last edited by a moderator:
Dipstick

If you clean the dipstick well with some alcohol, you can mark it with a sharpie. I've done this to mark the intervals between the 3qt increments on my own engine's dipstick. The marks stay on surprisingly well and could just as easily be put to work to distinguish the marks you want from those you don't. Works well for making a fuel dipstick too with some acrylic tube. Sharpies seem impervious to petroleum products, but not isopropyl alcohol.

If you want to delete the original lines, you might find someone who has a small lathe and just turn the diameter down there. Use a nice radiused tool and there should be no question which are the correct reference lines.

As far as marking numbers, I'd suggest getting a small stamping set from Harbor Freight and just directly stamp the numbers in place. To do it best, you can make a stamping guide by through-drilling a block of wood with a drill of the same diameter as the dipstick and then cut the block in half through the axis of the hole. Then drill a cross-hole slightly smaller than your stamps and finish the edges with a small file (if the stamps are square). Then clamp the dipstick in a vise using the wood block. The cross-hole will then align the stamp properly and prevent it slipping off the dipstick when you mark it. If you are really careful you can probably do without the guide block as long as you clamp the dipstick down well when you are marking it.

There is a roll pin

There is a roll pin in the top of the dipstick that goes horizontally through the cap. Carefully measure from the cap to the 12 Qt line. Drive the roll pin out of the dipstick assembly. Insert new dipstick to same measurement. Drill new dipstick for roll pin and cut off any excess above the cap. Drive in new roll pin.

I have a LW-14756 17 13/16 from the flange to the bottom of the stick, 13 3/8 at 12qt, 14 1/4 at 9qt, 15 5/8 at 6qt and 16 11/16 at 3qt.

Jesse

Hello all,

I have been searching for a replacement dipstick, for the 540 that came out of our Lancair. It originally came with markings on it that did not match up with actual levels. So, I used a pipe cutter to make new marks, and that has always worked ok. The problem is there?s two sets of markings, one with numbers and mine with just the lines. It?s always a little confusing.
So, 2 questions: Where is the best place to source a replacement? I?ve found the appropriate part number (LW-14756), and a few places that carry it, but there are no images so I have no idea what I?m actually getting.
Second, what?s the best way to mark it? (Not get the levels, I have that) but how to actually mark the tube with numbers and tick marks.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

I have a LW-14756 17 13/16 from the flange to the bottom of the stick, 13 3/8 at 12qt, 14 1/4 at 9qt, 15 5/8 at 6qt and 16 11/16 at 3qt.

Jesse
Is that one you want to sell?
I?ll take some measurements on mine this weekend.

Thanks,
Jack

dipstick

Yea I could! Let me know the part number on your fill neck and Ill make sure the tread size is the same.

Jesse

I purchased a length of stainless rod from AC Spruce and made new marks on it with a small triangular file. Numbers can be placed by filing a flat spot and using number stamps.

dipstick

OK! I can see what else I have then or if you know your measurements I can see if I have something that will work as is.

Jesse
970-874-7575

Back