What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door release lever rattling

MConner

Well Known Member
The thumb button on the inside door handles rattles on both doors. Is there an easy way to reduce the slop to eliminate rattling?

Mark

I am referring to the flat aluminum release lever that you push to release the handle to rotate. Maybe a grommet to shim the screw that acts as it?s hinge?

Mark

I've not experienced that symptom in my RV-10 or any of the ones I've flown.

The good news is that whatever is causing the issue, it's consistent in both doors. It should be able to be tracked down. My suspicion is that there is some minor deviation from the plan and something isn't fitting quite right. But that's purely speculation on my part.

You may want to grab another local builder to review the installation. Usually things are more apparent to another set of eyes.

Quick guess. :)

The hinge end of the flat lever that has the 'push button' on one end is rounded to fit into a hole in the internal push rod.

If it was over rounded during construction it certainly could rattle. Figure 3 on plans 45-10.

The hole for the central hinge bolt of the same part could also be oversize - Figure 4 on the same plans sheet.

Quick guess. :)

The hinge end of the flat lever that has the 'push button' on one end is rounded to fit into a hole in the internal push rod.

If it was over rounded during construction it certainly could rattle. Figure 3 on plans 45-10.

The hole for the central hinge bolt of the same part could also be oversize - Figure 4 on the same plans sheet.

I think you got it Gil, maybe I will try some shimming.

Mark

Back