What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodine or primer for the tank attach countersinks

Draker

Well Known Member
Started on my RV-7A wings recently and the first task is to drill those big ol' countersinks on the spar for the tank attach screws. The instructions say to prime the freely drilled aluminum which is what I've done, but I've seen build logs where builders are using alodine on them instead. Is there a big benefit to doing it this way, or just personal preference? Don't want to start a primer war if that's all it is. Just wondering if it's worth considering cleaning out the primer and applying alodine instead, which wouldn't take too long.

By the way, coming straight from the gentle hand-holding empennage instructions, the wings feel like boot camp: "Welcome to the wings. NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 150 NUTPLATES!" :eek:

Alodine is technically lighter (though I doubt you could measure the difference there), and primer is a lot quicker & easier, unless you're using one of those one-step alodine pens to 'color' the places.

I certainly wouldn't change it if you've already primed.

If you think it's boot camp now, it will be a vaguely defined mission soon....

Charlie

Alodine pen and epoxy primer with a Q tip for me but I live on the coast of Florida so corrosion scares the **** out of me.

Countersinks

Which do you have? Alodine pen, use it. Primer? Spray some in a paper cup and apply with a Q-tip.

Thanks for the advice, all. I did the "cup of primer + q-tip" method and will probably just leave it be.

Back