What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Got my engine!!!

dwranda

Well Known Member
My new Mattituck IO360 was delivered Monday to my local airport where I had it scoped for confirmation that all was well. It passed their inspection and was then loaded in my Sienna van. Yes an engine in a crate does fit in a minivan. Now I just have to figure out how to get it out. For probably the last year I have been on barnstormers and other sites looking for an engine. Not happy with the used selection and the prices I was seeing I decided to just dip into the savings and snatch this one up when it was listed on VAF. It's weird not having to check sites every day for an engine. Can't believe I actually have one now!!!
121tmoh.jpg
[/IMG]
eskso8.jpg
[/IMG]

My new Mattituck IO360 was delivered Monday to my local airport where I had it scoped for confirmation that all was well.

Congrats on the engine.

Wise to have it scoped, just in case.

May I suggest you look into the Pmag paperwork, and see if the software needs updating? As I recall, the ad said the engine had been in storage for a few years.

Excellent!

Thats a nice looking engine. Already has the angle oil filter adapter and dual PMags, nice. Can't tell, is it forward facing induction?

Congrats on the engine.

Wise to have it scoped, just in case.

May I suggest you look into the Pmag paperwork, and see if the software needs updating? As I recall, the ad said the engine had been in storage for a few years.

Thanks Mike,
Before I bought I contacted the Pmag guys and they said I should send them in for updating. I'll wait until a little before first engine start because who knows how many updates there will be by then.

Thats a nice looking engine. Already has the angle oil filter adapter and dual PMags, nice. Can't tell, is it forward facing induction?

Darin,
Yes it is forward induction. This is exactly the engine setup I was hoping to get except for the 9.0 compression pistons. My beautiful 3 blade Catto prop will mate well with this!!! I'm basically going to copy a lot of your FF since I'm using your old prop and going to go with the James cowl too.
Dave

Congrats, shinny and nice looking engine.

I place my order yesterday and can't wait till mine gets delivered.

I believe it was destiny for me to get this engine because it has my name on it!!
hwbex4.jpg
[/IMG]
Well OK maybe that was the craftsman who built it, but I'm still saying it was meant to be. It is a little sad that the seller had to give up his dream of building, but I told him he will get a ride when I'm done with it.

Probably too late for me, but just curious to what changes are needed for the 360 over the 320 in a -9?

Just paying attention to the CG mostly. You would use a cowl and motor mount for the 7A, your engine control cabling may have to be re-routed, and you'll probably need more oil cooling.

The CG can be adjusted by moving some items aft, like remote-mount avionics and the battery, those can go aft of the baggage compartment easily enough, especially during the build phase. Keep in mind the maximum nose-wheel weight limit of 350 pounds for the 9A - you can adjust the CG by moving things aft but you are still getting more weight up front. Several of the C/G calculation spreadsheets available here on VAF will give you the calculated main and nosewheel weights as well as the CG.

In flight, you just need to keep a close eye on TAS during descents - don't exceed Vne under any circumstances, or Va in rough air. The throttle is one of the control devices the pilot must adjust as needed to keep the airplane within the flight envelope.

Last edited:
Nice

Great to hear it worked out. I still remember getting my mattituck. It will take good care of you and reward you with tons of big smiles.

Blue skies.

In flight, you just need to keep a close eye on TAS during descents - don't exceed Vne under any circumstances, or Va in rough air. The throttle is one of the control devices the pilot must adjust as needed to keep the airplane within the flight envelope.

Shouldn't that be KIAS instead of KTAS?

Aerodynamic flutter is sensitive to True Airspeed, not Indicated Airspeed.

That's the great thing about todays EFIS screens. I love having the TAS shown right there on the Dynon next to my IAS tape and GS readout. The only time I really fly by IAS is takeoff/landing and I keep a close eye on it during climbout. Cruise and descent are all about TAS.

As pointed out, aerodynamic flutter is a function of TAS - but Va is a function of IAS - know your limits and where you are in relation to them. Aviation, like the sea, is terribly unforgiving of mistakes.

Last edited:
Several of today's EFIS' have the capability of inputting Vne in terms of TAS, so Redline in terms of IAS is dynamically calculated and shown on the IAS tape. In the screen capture shown below, the RV-8's Vne (230 MTAS) is input in terms of TAS in the SkyView Touch. At the altitude and OAT shown, Redline is shown as 197 MIAS. Also, note how close Vno (Max Structural Cruising Speed) is to Vne. At not much above this altitude, Vne is less than Vno.

i-MLgSFHv-L.png

Truth.

In reality I have to admit I have the number in my head and focus first on the TAS readout when I know I'm getting close (I have the Skyview also) and ignore the yellow/red tape on the IAS readout. Difference in how we get there, but same result.

All that matters is that you know - not how you know.

Back