What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Locking fuel cap for RV-12

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Has anyone found a locking fuel cap for the RV-12 or made the standard one lockable in some way?

Thanks Crashley, but that one won't work on the RV-12 unfortunately. I have a simple idea for making the standard cap tamper-resistant, but a lockable cap would be better still.

Edit: On a closer reading of the description, maybe that cap would work. As I read it, it's unsuitable for the RV-12 because it's not vented, but that isn't a problem anymore with the vented tank. Has anyone used these?

Last edited:
We have them on a 7 and many RVs are seen with them installed. We are happy with the cap but a heads up, they have a little smaller opening but it hasn't bothered us. Would install it again in a nano second. :)

Is gas stealing really a concern? Dude where do you live!😜

I guess I can?t throw stones. I thought I lived in a nice neighborhood until one day the DEA knocked at my door and asked if they could install a web camera to surveillance the drug transshipment house across the street! ? You can?t make this stuff up!

I live in the best country in the world.:D

However, I have in mind to visit some out of the way places where tampering with aircraft to get fuel for sniffing purposes is not unheard of, and topping up the tank with a handful of sand, sugar or water to see what happens has been known to be considered good entertainment. :eek:

Hi Rgmwa,

I put a locking fuel cap in my RV12. I purchased a locking cap from Vans. They are much nicer than the standard cap. So when you get it you will need to look at it and get a ring made to place inside at the top of the filler tube. You will shorten the filler tube and need longer screws for the attachment around the cap.
Why put a locking cap on? Well lots of people don?t see the need. I like to use my plane so it has to park outside when I go places. How do you know if someone has placed something in your tank if it isn?t locked?

Cheers
Julian

An RV lock solution I saw on my way to Alaska. The airplane is based at a strip parallel to Alcan and next to a lodge/gas station/food joint.

locked%20fuel%20cap%20-%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Vlad. I was thinking more or less along those lines myself as an alternative to a locking cap. Haven't decided which way to go yet.

I guess I can?t throw stones. I thought I lived in a nice neighborhood until one day the DEA knocked at my door and asked if they could install a web camera to surveillance the drug transshipment house across the street! ? You can?t make this stuff up!

For me it wasn't about theft, I just do not like the Vans standard caps. These locking caps work well, seal well and don't need constant fiddling with. Haven't talked to anyone that made the change that isn't happy with the decision?

Locking replacement for Usher cap?

This one claims to be a replacement for the standard Usher cap which, I think, is the one we have on the 12.

i-BbRmRrJ-XL.png

From the picture it looks like it will simply replace the standard cap without having to modify the filler neck. Seems a bit over priced but has anyone tried this one on the RV-12 filler neck?

Last edited:
This one claims to be a replacement for the standard Usher cap which, I think, is the one we have on the 12.

i-BbRmRrJ-XL.png

From the picture it looks like it will simply replace the standard cap without having to modify the filler neck. Seems a bit over priced but has anyone tried this one on the RV-12 filler neck?

The ring around the outside of the cap is an insert that has to be bonded into the original cap flange, so it does change the size of the opening as previously mentioned.

If you install this on an RV-12, make darn sure that the fuel tank vent upgrade has been completed.

Would this be the same one from Vans at a lower price?

1 Retrofit Locking Fuel Cap
Part Number = FUEL CAP RETRO
Price = $65.00
QuantitySubmit

They look different to me. I'm saying this by looking carefully at the pictures, not that I have had the parts in hand to study.

Pretty sure the AC Spruce retro fit is made to be pro sealed into the existing filler neck. It appears the one Van's sells would need a whole new filler neck.

It looks like the main caveat is what Scott says, you will have to have the tank vent system installed because this locking cap is unvented. Also, you will have to be OK with the reduction in filler opening size to 1-3/8".

I have done the vent upgrade, so I'm going to order this thing from ACS and will update in this thread what I find out. They have a return policy, so if it looks like it won't be suitable for some reason, I'll be able to return it.

Last edited:
They look different to me. I'm saying this by looking carefully at the pictures, not that I have had the parts in hand to study.

Pretty sure the AC Spruce retro fit is made to be pro sealed into the existing filler neck. It appears the one Van's sells would need a whole new filler neck.

The product description on Van's web site

These fuel caps will fit in the original kit tank flange to provide a locking cap on a completed tank. Requires some tank sealant (MC-236-B2 ?) to bond a new flange within the old flange. Will reduce the opening size, so larger gas nozzles may not fit (most are OK). New diameter is 1 3/8".

Keep in mind the photo on Van's site is likely very old. What you would receive might look exactly like the ACS photo.

OK, thanks, got the message. I have ordered the ACS one and will advise here how that one works. If someone orders the one from Van's and reports, then we will have all the data needed for the guys interested in a locking cap.

Hopefully, the guys living in far corners of the world can then order something with confidence and not incur a lot of extra shipping costs for returns.

Last edited:
The Vans are pro sealed in as well and if you look at the keys, they appear to be the same brand. Have installed a few of Vans and the Andair brand which are almost identical.

ouc.jpg

Hey, that's great Hal, together we'll be able to resolve the locking gas cap mystery. Take pictures of yours when you get it. Email them to me and I can post them.

Great to see you at the Aviation Trade show last weekend. And thanks for sharing those french fries even if they were a little limp. I am still planning to make a flight over the Cascades this summer for a visit on your side.

Locking Gas Cap Report

This is to confirm that the Aircraft Spruce Van's retro fit locking gas cap (05-01006) does fit the RV-12 filler neck. I haven't pro sealed it in yet but it appears to be a perfect fit. Once Hal gets the one that Van's sells we should have all the data. That one may be this same one and if so you can buy it from Van's for a few dollars less.

i-S2KttJD-L.jpg

i-gDLLPQc-L.jpg

i-4bbSFHx-L.jpg

The cap is nicely made (in England), operates smoothly with the key.

The opening will be smaller as noted previously and the cap is non-vented so on the RV-12 you will have to have the vent mod installed.

Well I'm sold - very classy! Thanks Tony! I'll wait for Hal's comments, mainly because in my experience ACS will typically charge about $45 postage even for a small item like that. Van's shipping charges are much more reasonable.

Hal has the fuel cap that Van's sells and it is the same one that I got from ACS.

i-6DHv4FX-L.jpg

i-6qLQ2sF-L.jpg

i-TgBgJRd-L.jpg

The photo of the cap parts as shown on Van's website is apparently out of date and this is the cap they are sending now.

Ordered today. Thanks Tony and Hal and all other responders. I suspect Vans may be getting a few more orders soon. It looks like a very nice product and I'll feel happier leaving the plane unattended at some remote outback airfields.

Now if Vans will just add a locking canopy latch with MATCHING key to their RV-12 product roadmap, we'll be golden!

Very Functional

An RV lock solution I saw on my way to Alaska. The airplane is based at a strip parallel to Alcan and next to a lodge/gas station/food joint.

locked%20fuel%20cap%20-%201.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks like it'll work Vlad, but I think the padlock needs a fairing <grin>

Hope to see you at Moontown again this summer (3rd Saturdays) or early September EAA Fly-In.

Back