What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

J B Weld vs. Pro-Seal

Tumper

Well Known Member
Can someone extol the virtues of Pro-Seal vs. J B Weld? I am repairing some small plastic parts (not sealing fuel tanks). What exactly is J B Weld?

It is an epoxy based with powdered metal fillers. It dries hard so it is good for repairs where you need to fill a void and can be sanded, tapped, etc. But its very poor for anything flexable like plastic, it will just break away or crack. Proseal is more of a flexable, fuel resistant sealant. While it does act like an adhesive, its bond strenght is pretty low compared to a real adhesive. For your application, something rated for the type of plastic you are repairing will be better than either proseal or JBweld.

...or you could try Marine-Tex.

It is a 2 part structural compound that is designed for plastics... primarily fiberglass boats.

:cool: CJ

my vote is for marine-tex. been using it for too many years to admit. can be mixed to be flexible or rock hard. ;)

As the marine environment is one of the toughest out there, I second most marine products [glues, fillers, sealers etc] to be good for aviation.
Have had good results with the marine products.

Back