What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visit to Oregon

ariel_arielly

Dear RV friends.
I'm Ariel Arielly from Israel. I've built the RV8A which has collected 300 flight hours.
My A/C is 4X-OAA No. 80295.
I'm about to visit Oregon from may 9th to 12th.
I just wonder if there is anybody whom I could meet with.
I'l be visiting with my wife Judith.
Thanks,
Ariel
+972507815801

Ariel,
If you connections go through Sacramento as some do, I would very much enjoy meeting you. I have a -9A here.
Regards,
David

Where in Oregon are you planning on being on those dates? There's a good chance I'll be in southwest Oregon near North Bend (KOTH) around that time, though my airplane may still be in the Seattle area.

What all are you hoping to see/do while in Oregon?

Yes. I plan to be in Sacramento

Ariel,
If you connections go through Sacramento as some do, I would very much enjoy meeting you. I have a -9A here.
Regards,
David

Dear David,
Thanks for your invitation. I really plan to be in Sacramento during my visit to the USA.
As soon as I know the dates I be in Sacramento, I'll be in contact with you.
Thanks again,
Ariel

Waaam

Ariel,
If you are close to HoodRiver I strongly recommend WAAAM museum. Western Antique Aviation Automobile Museum. A friend and I visited 8 museums in the northwest and WAAAM was definitely the best. Unbelievable collection!

Visit Vans

Where in Oregon are you planning on being on those dates? There's a good chance I'll be in southwest Oregon near North Bend (KOTH) around that time, though my airplane may still be in the Seattle area.

What all are you hoping to see/do while in Oregon?

I would say that my original plan and excuse for going to Oregon, is the fact that I wonted to visit Vans Planet in Aurora.
Actually, I'm involved in a new "Eagle Nest" project in Israel - leading a group of students of building an RV12, so it was a good idea to see the RV12 kit in the production line and talk with Vans on some issues related to this kit.
My intention is to visit Vans on May 9th or 10th.
Ariel Arielly
RV8A #90295
4X-OAA

When we visited Vans factory in Aurora several years ago, we also visited the International Rose Test Gardens in Portland. It was worth the effort and offered a change of pace. Easy to find...on West side of Portland.

Hey Ariel-

Keep us all updated when you get in the area. If I can join you at the factory, or for a bite/meal I definitely would be interested in that! My project is in Bend (central Oregon), but I split time between Bend and Portland.

Not a ton to do right down by the factory, but Portland and the surrounding area have a lot to offer/do.

dan

Last edited:
2nd on Evergreen and if you happen to enjoy wine there are several very good vineyards in the same general area. I spent a lot of time in that area 20ish years ago when in college for my undergrad at Linfield.

Evergreen is well worth a visit. Not too far is the WAAAM museum at Hood River (4S2). They roll out some of their antique aircraft and motors on the second Saturday of the month.

Nice scenic flight past Mount Hood to the (windy) Columbia River gorge.

Trip to Van,s

If you go to Portland to see the roses be sure to have lunch and tour the Japanese Garden next door. The best ouside of Japan. A MUST SEE http://www.waaamuseum.org check out there web site. Bring a camera and spend all day there, a must see.

Visit to Vans

Dear RV fellows,
Thanks for all your comments. Just before I take the flight to the USA, I'll contact with you trying to coordinate meeting with some of you,
Ariel

Dates of visiting Oregon

Dear RV fellows,
Thank you all for your advises.
If there are no unexpected changes, I?ll land at Portland airport (PDX) on May 8th at 11:30 local time.
The day after, the 9th, Thursday, I intend to visit Vans.
If any of you around, I?ll be more than glad to meet with.
My cellphone # is: +972507815801.
Ariel

Ariel - welcome.
With a little planning you can avoid or lessen your travel times around Portland.
Example - if you are staying downtown, you don?t want to be headed out of town anytime after 2:00pm until about 6:00 or so. If your headed into town, things start to get messy around 6:00am and stay that way until 8:30ish.
Getting across town can be 30 minutes, or it can be an hour and a half. Portland has grown a lot and traffic can be bad.
If you get to the Northern Oregon Coast, pm me. We will be in Manzanita that week and I can show you around a bit. I might have the airplane there, but too early to tell what the weather might be. The scenery on the Coast is amazing and would be a stark contrast from home.
Have fun.

Hi Ariel,
If you would like to have dinner with 30 or so pilots and their spouses, Thursday night on the Aurora airport is our Columbia Aviation Association dinner and meeting. It is a mixed group of a few RV, professional and other recreational pilots. It would be a great exchange of flying experiences between our countries.
Social at 6:00, dinner at 7:00, speaker/meeting 8:00-9:00.
You would be my guest. Clubhouse is right behind the tower.
http://caapilots.com/
Bruce 503-577-8492
Any one else care to join, let me know...

dinner at Aurora

Hi Ariel,
If you would like to have dinner with 30 or so pilots and their spouses, Thursday night on the Aurora airport is our Columbia Aviation Association dinner and meeting. It is a mixed group of a few RV, professional and other recreational pilots. It would be a great exchange of flying experiences between our countries.
Social at 6:00, dinner at 7:00, speaker/meeting 8:00-9:00.
You would be my guest. Clubhouse is right behind the tower.
http://caapilots.com/
Bruce 503-577-8492
Any one else care to join, let me know...

Thank you Bruce.
Please send me (SMS or Watsup) your telephon # so I'll be able to contact you.
My cellphon # is:
+972507815801
Ariel

Back