What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adsb and transponder issues

rwarre

Well Known Member
Have not been able to generate a report from the faa since I installed the uavionics echo in my 7a. Last week I went through evrtything the tech guys told me to do again including making sure the l.e.d.?s were on. Flying om my way to snf atc says the adsb is not working. Only thing left that I know is the antenna might not be sending a signal. Any thoughts.

Also my Garmin 327 transponder mode c is sometimes intermittent. Is it possibe it can get too warm?

Hi Randy,
I just finished installing an EchoUat in my RV-8. Your Garmin mode C has to be on and working 100% in order for the EchoUAT to pick up your pressure altitude and squawk code. You should see ALT and a blinking R on the front panel of the transponder.

The EchoUAT app will tell you what data components are currently being stored by the transceiver. You should be able to see Longitude, Latitude and GPS Altitude. If you don't see these data points, it means the transceiver is not receiving data from your WAAS GPS. If you don't see pressure altitude and squawk code data points, then the transceiver is not receiving data from your Garmin 327. When I initially installed mine the transceiver was not receiving any data from my Garmin 327 and I had to change the transponder threshold parameter to make it work.

Given the above, what data elements are you seeing on the app?

Just some FYI on the GTX 327: the unit contains a 1 inch flange on the back of the back plate that you can attach a cooling tube / fan/ blower/ forced air solution. The '327 does not "require" this cooling air, but in high interrogation areas the unit may start to overheat. If this were to occur, then the unit will not respond to all interrogations. If cooling air is supplied to the unit, then this will help to mitigate the lack of txponder replies.

Have not been able to generate a report from the faa since I installed the uavionics echo in my 7a. Last week I went through evrtything the tech guys told me to do again including making sure the l.e.d.?s were on. Flying om my way to snf atc says the adsb is not working. Only thing left that I know is the antenna might not be sending a signal. Any thoughts.

Also my Garmin 327 transponder mode c is sometimes intermittent. Is it possibe it can get too warm?

Absolutely nothing back from FAA, meaning no PDF file attached means the FAA did not see you AT ALL. This means your squawk code is not being seen. Could be your setup ( choices you made on the app), or transponder having issues. I recommend you go fly, get flight following and make sure all is good otherwise with the transponder. If all good there, look at your app and see what the monitor shows and go from there. I had/have issues, which is better after changing the sensitivity setting on the Transponder item via the App. Send me your email address and I will send you the directions on how to adjust per uAvionics/GRT. It made a difference for me....still tweaking !

Back