What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Washington DC

MarkW

Well Known Member
Friend
I am headed to DC Oct. 20th with my son to see a Dallas/ Redskins game.
I am hoping to get a recommendation on a decent airport to use.
Flying from Florida we want to be fairly close to the Fedex stadium.
We will get a hotel and a rental car. My other son will be driving up from Hampton Virginia to meet us.
Looks like W32/ Hyde Field would be a good choice?
Any Pireps?

FRZ and Maryland 3

Washington Exec/Hyde (along with Potomac and College Park) is part of the Maryland 3. These airports require a special clearance with a background check and fingerprinting to get a PIN for use.
You might look at Freeway (W00), but you still need to take an online course to legally operate in the SFRA.

Last edited:
Unless you already have your DC FRZ PIN, don't even think about VKX/W32/CGS. At this ponit not even sure you have enough time to get it completed even if you wanted to get your PIN before the game.

If you have your PIN, I would recommend VKX over Hyde (personal opinion since I'm based there for training). College Park may be the best choice as you have access to Metro from there.

Other options are Manassas, Leesburg, Freeway, etc.

Feel free to hit me up if you need more local info.

Also, for those that are near the DC area and think they may want to fly into one of the DC-3, I would highly encourage you to do so.

Looks like a FRZ training event is going to be hosted at W29 (Bay Bridge) on Saturday October 13th. Looks like you may be able to get your PIN the same day!

I used KHEF several years ago and found it quite painless in/out IFR, ATC assigned route in and DP out. Virginia Railway Express (vre.org) has a station 1/2 mile from the FBO for a ride into town and access to the DC Metro. Deciphering the Metro map/stops was more challenging than flying, if this Midwesterner can figure it out anyone can. FBO fees were reasonable and some waived with fuel.

Either Stafford or Manassas are close to the VRE for the trip downtown, but the VRE only runs on weekdays, north in the morning and south in the afternoon. Not much good for a Saturday game.

I recommend Stafford (KRMN) as it is just outside the DC SFRA. It is on I-95 so your son driving up from Hampton can pick you up if you want to avoid a rental car.

Carl

I am halfway through the online course and have not seen the PIN required for the inner circle.
Thanks for the heads up on that.
I could file IFR so I figured the SFRA was going to be easy.
So far looks like Freeway would be good as it is close but as Carl says Stafford may be the best since my oldest will be coming up I-95.
Game is Sunday afternoon so we figured wee would fly in Saturday an see a few sights. Fly home Monday after recuperating.
Looks like we don't have options for Metro rail or bus on the weekend trip to the stadium.
Maybe driving to the stadium won't be so bad on a Sunday?

Having lived in the DC metro area all my life until my recent gig drew me west, maybe I can give some insight.

First, you don't want to go into Hyde Field. Facility is run down and you may be hard pressed to get transportation out of there unless you were picked up. It's a ways from the stadium and not real easy to get to by car. Freeway Airport (I learned to fly there) is much nicer and more active and is the closest to the stadium. It's a real easy drive just a few miles west on Rt. 50 and you're there. College Park is okay as well but you'll need the PIN to get in. Not sure if it's worth all that hassle. College Park would be much more convenient however if you needed a hotel as the U of MD is right there plus it's right at a Metro Station.

Stafford or Manassas are nice facilities but a very long way to the stadium. From Stafford it's every bit of 70 miles. Manassas even further. Sunday traffic in the DC/MD/VA area can be pretty busy, especially around the stadium on game day. Plan for a goodly amount of time to get in the parking lot with a fistful of cash for the parking fee. Dan Snyder burns only jet A.

I'd go with Maryland Airport (2W5). It's just down the road from VKX (concur with Brian re Potomac but need pin, etc), in the SFRA but not the FRZ so only need to take the online course. Very nice people at 2W5. Most convenient to FedX Field that's not in the FRZ. Easy transit accommodation, fuel, and coffee and donuts Saturday mornings. Use Uber and skip the rental car hassle, especially if other son will be driving up. Stafford, Manassa, and even Freeway are way too far out.

Last edited:
Freeway Airport (I learned to fly there) is much nicer and more active and is the closest to the stadium.

I second Freeway, although I wouldn't include the term "nicer" in any of my description. Adequate is the description I would use. I never had any issues parking as a transient for a few days at a time on numerous occasions, but sometimes it took a little cajoling to use a vacant tie down spot or I just parked in the grass.

I always had someone pick me up, but suspect you could get an Enterprise car delivered or maybe Uber. Being on the east side makes it much more convenient to FedEx Field. On numerous occasions I drove up to Bowie, MD, from the Shenandoah Valley area and it always took at least an hour, usually more, to drive from the Dulles area on the west side to Bowie on the east side.

The security at Freeway doesn't amount to much. It's basically a knee high chain draped fence running from post to post. Maybe the sheriff deputy's car that was occasionally parked there helped with deterrence a bit.

The locals used to tell me about how the TSA would occasionally drive in for an inspection and leave just shaking their head. I guess as a privately owned facility, the TSA couldn't really force any fencing or security improvements.

I always enjoyed flying in there because it was convenient and I felt like I was poking the bear. With the exception of the SFRA requirements, which aren't that big of a deal, and the airport only 7 nm from Andrews AFB, Freeway has all the ambience of a country airport in the middle of Kansas or Nebraska, albeit a little busier. As much as the FAA and TSA have pontificated about security, there isn't much they can do to change it.

Tipton/Fort Meade Airport, also on the east side is a viable option, although it would be further away from FedEx. It is more like a typical GA airport with a 8' perimeter security fence and plenty of transient parking on a big concrete ramp.

If you want to grease your path flying into the area, file IFR and the red carpet will be rolled out for you. If you ever squawk standby or turn your transponder off, expect a visit from a Blackhawk helicopter and a license suspension, neither of which I've ever experienced in maybe 30 or 40 trips. One time I was cleared for and flew an approach in IMC conditions directly over the top of BWI. Then cancelled with BWI tower when I had Tipton in sight.

DC

Lots of very good replies and info.
Thank you.
We have decided to fly into Stafford KRMN and stay in Springfield as a base.
Will tour DC with both sons on Saturday and Sunday morning before the game Sunday evening.
Thanks again.
I am a Texan so rooting for the Cowboys.

Mark, looks like you're all set for your trip and you've done the SFRA training. Just adding this for others who may read this thread -- Washington DC SFRA training is required for anyone who flies within 60 nm of the DCA VOR, not just for flying into the SFRA. Stafford is within 60 nm of DCA, so the training is required to operate there.

Rob

Back