What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IAC Sebring Aerobatic Championship Fall 2016 PIREP - long

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
I just returned from my very first aerobatic contest, the Sebring Fall 2016 Aerobatic Championship in Florida and had a blast!

If you’ve ever thought about competing, DO IT! If you haven’t thought about doing it, but maybe getting a little bored flying around in circles within 20 miles of your home airport, DO IT! Or, if your just looking for another avenue to express your inner self in flight, DO IT! I can truly tell you, that you it will find it challenging, rewarding and FUN!!! And you know what… Anyone can do it in just about any kind of aerobatic airplane.

And the RV is a fantastic aerobatic airplane! You don’t have to be Chuck Yeager or have a fire breathing Extra 300 to have fun competing and be competitive. I saw young college freshmen and much much older men compete. I saw a young man do some very impressive things with a Super Decathlon winning the Intermediate category. And I saw relatively new pilots who started doing aerobatics only a few months ago do very well. While having fuel injection, a constant speed prop, inverted fuel and oil certainly help, (especially in keeping the belly clean and keeping the engine from sputtering occasionally) they aren’t necessarily required for Primary and Sportsman category.

The sportsmanship and fellowship is absolutely wonderful! I met some great people and made some new friends. As far as events go, the Sebring Aerobatic Championship is a very well run, organized, first class event. If you’re in southeast, I definitely recommend this one. They have two contests a year. I am looking forward to more contests throughout the southeast next year.

So how does it work? First and foremost GET the proper unusual attitude, aerobatic, and spin training from a competent aerobatic instructor. Join the IAC, they can help direct you in getting the proper training. Competition is divided in five categories: Primary, Sportsman, Intermediate, Advanced, and Unlimited. Our friends Ron Shreck and Bill McLean have already proven what the RV can do in Sportsman and chances are we’re going to see what an RV can do in Intermediate. If a Super D can do it, an RV certainly can!

In Primary, you can expect to do half a dozen maneuvers or “figures” including a loop, roll, half Cuban eight, a spin, and one or two 60 degree bank turns. In Sportsman, you’ll fly 10 figures to include the above and add an Immelmann, the Humpty Bump (a weird half hammer/half loop that’s fun to do), a hammerhead, and a wedge (or shark’s tooth). Rolls in this category are now 2 point rolls or 2 points of a 4 point roll. Intermediate gets further complicated. In Primary you do a Known program 3-4 times, In Sportsman, you can do a Known program 3 times, but you also have the option of doing a Free program of your own design 2 out of the 3 times. I’ll be doing some of that next year. Intermediate introduces the Unknown (read un-practiced and barely memorized) program! Talk about a challenge!!!

Another challenging piece… The aerobatic box! When I was in the Air Force, I was used to doing aerobatics in an approximately 10 x 15 mile sector of a MOA, at 8000-13000’. In my RV-8, I usually performed my “gentleman” aerobatics in an undefined space away from airways, etc at 4000-6000’. The aerobatic box is a 3300’ x 3300’ square that is 2000’ high starting at 1500’ AGL for Primary and Sportsman. Don’t think that’s all that small? At RV speeds, it’s about 10 seconds from end to end and you have to string 2-3 figures with a short horizontal line between each figure in that space!

A typical contest will take up several days, so it is a bit of a financial and time commitment. For this contest, the aerobatic box was open for practice from Saturday to Wednesday. Competition occurred Thursday through Saturday and Sunday was a rain date. Costs could include entrance fee, hotel, hangar, and fuel. Some competitors that lived close by went home for the evening saving $ on hotel and hangar. Smaller contests will be a two day event. The Nationals in September was about a week. The entrance fees vary. They cover the costs to run the event, food, water, other drinks, t-shirt, awards, and in Sebring’s case, a very very nice banquet.

Here’s the practice sign-up board. There I am at 11:00 and 2:15.

The positions to run the contest are filled by volunteer competitors when not actively competing. I was a line judge and used the sight gage below. I learned a lot being out there.

My station with the sight gage:

The order of flight for Primary and Sportsman included 3 RVs, a few Extras, and bunch of Pitts’ and Decathlons:

The three RVs together:

A typical judge’s scoresheet:

So how did I do… Well, pretty good for my first shot at a contest, #5 out 14! I exceeded my goals of not being last and not embarrassing myself, so I was very pleased with the results!

I even came home with this:

Whether you’re new to aerobatics or have some time upside down under your belt, rest assured you will find IAC competition challenging and rewarding. I am sure you’re gonna learn something, it will make you a better pilot, and most importantly… you will have FUN!!! After all, that’s what it’s all about.

I have many people to thank and I'm sure I'm going miss a few, but here goes: First and foremost Ron Shreck for giving me the nudge to finally do something I wanted to do since I was 19 years old. I'm naming Ron the ambassador of RV aerobatic competition! Bill McLean for coaching me and becoming an instant friend, Curt Sullivant, the other fellow RV competitor flying a beautiful RV-7. I met him on day one and we shared an instant RV bond! Mark Fullerton also for coaching and educating me. This guy has more plaques, trophies, and awards than I could count. He flies a a fire breathing competition aerobatic monoplane. Marty Flournoy, also a highly decorated champion for guiding me. He flies a gorgeous black MX2. Ron Hill, a fellow competitor, that gave me a critical tip during competition. Marcus Cade, a friend of a friend (now a friend), that flew out to Sebring during a practice day just to help and coach me. He flies an Extra. IAC Chapter 23 for putting on the contest and doing everything to help me as a first time competitor and make me feel welcome. My support team back home, the Falcon RV Squadron, Peachtree City, GA for encouraging me and keeping up with my progress. And of course my family, especially my wife Ledy for not saying, "What, are you crazy!" and fully supporting me.

Last edited:
And now, the rest of the story...

Jerry, what a great trip report! I need to take this opportunity to toot Jerry's horn a bit. I only met Jerry two months ago when his stunningly beautiful RV-8 rolled onto the ramp at North Texas Regional Airport in the middle of the IAC National Aerobatic Championships. Jerry flew all the way to Texas from Atlanta just to see what this IAC aerobatics stuff was all about! He shadowed me and Bill McLean and soaked up as much information as possible. I even had him take my place as a judges assistant on the Intermediate judging line one afternoon. He did great!
When someone with that much enthusiasm shows up I'm inclined to give them all the help I can to get them through their first contest successfully. Bill and I introduced him to aerobatic coaches near his home field and Jerry took the time to meet with them and hone his skills before signing up to compete at the Fall Sebring contest. I wasn't planning to compete at Sebring as I had already attended 5 or 6 contests this year and I had a list of "honey-dos" begging for my attention at home. But when my wife decided to fly to California to spend some time with our daughter... So I found myself winging my way to Sebring.
Jerry has done a masterful job of describing his first contest. Here's what he left out: I was holding second place after two flights and I was feeling pretty good about my prospects. I was taxiing out for my third and final contest flight and the right main tire of my RV-8 blew out just as I was rolling onto the runway! I called back to the chief judge and soon was surrounded by trucks and golf carts and a number of people just itching to help me out. I had notified Jerry of my plight via cell phone, hoping that he could round up a tire tube and perhaps I could get the plane repaired before the end of the competition day. It was a long shot but I had come nearly 500 miles to compete and I wasn't going to give up easily. Returning to the ramp via golf cart, I was greeted by Jerry and an offer to hop into his aforementioned stunningly beautiful RV-8 to fly the last competition flight! Here's a guy that I had only met two months prior and he is offering to place this gorgeous airplane that he spent 10 years creating with his own hands into my hands so that I could fling it around the aerobatic box at the extreme boundaries of its flight envelope, and with absolutely no time to get familiar with the airplane! Well, he insisted. After a brief cockpit orientation I fired up the beast and was soon climbing for altitude. It was all over in less that 10 minutes and thanks to Jerry I salvaged the last flight. "Thanks" is woefully inadequate for recognizing Jerry's generosity and friendship.
That's not all. Jerry ended up in 5th place. He beat out three Pitts, three Decathlons, one RV-6 and an Extra 330L. That's quite an accomplishment for a first-time competitor. Can't wait to see what he does next year.

PS: After landing I got a lift back to my plane and found it sitting pretty with a freshly installed tire. The amazing members of IAC Chapter 23 and few fellow competitors had taken care of everything. Great people!

Jerry's aforementioned stunningly beautiful RV-8. :eek:

Sebring Sportsmanship Award goes to...

Great recap of a fun week of flying at Sebring. The flying was challenging but the people competing and running the event really makes it a lot of fun. Congratulations Ron in getting 3rd and Jerry for his 5th place finish, incredible that this was your first competition. I?ve got a lot of work to do between now and next spring as we all get ready for a new year for flying.

The Sportsmanship award has to go to Jerry for offering up his airplane to Ron for the final flight. In almost 10 years of flying his RV-8 Jerry had never seen anyone fly his airplane from the ground. As we watched Ron fly his 3rd and final flight of the competition it looked perfect and I think Jerry had the same RV grin watching Ron as Ron had taxiing back into the ramp. I?ve never seen this kind of unselfish exchange at an IAC event but I?m not surprised it was completed by guys flying RVs.

IMG_2251_zpslywkkcxx.jpg

Great job Ron and Jerry. You make all of us proud.

IMG_2236_zpszepeensf.jpg

Congratulations Jerry! Fifth on the first try is pretty darned impressive.

Ron, better practice more...Gung-ho FNG on your tail ;)

Spins not required or part of primary routine

Congrats Jerry - well done!

A quick clarification:
In Primary, you can expect to do half a dozen maneuvers or “figures” including a loop, roll, half Cuban eight, a spin, and one or two 60 degree bank turns.

While spin training is a great idea, there are no spins required for the 2016 IAC primary routine. The primary sequence for 2016 consists of the following (in order):
  1. Loop
  2. Half cuban
  3. Roll
  4. 180º competition turn
  5. 270º competition turn
  6. Roll

The full list of figures for each sequence is located here.

Congrats Jerry - well done!

A quick clarification:

While spin training is a great idea, there are no spins required for the 2016 IAC primary routine. The primary sequence for 2016 consists of the following (in order):
  1. Loop
  2. Half cuban
  3. Roll
  4. 180? competition turn
  5. 270? competition turn
  6. Roll

The full list of figures for each sequence is located here.

Not to rain on your parade, but the proposed Primary Known sequence for 2017 includes a one and a half turn spin. We will be voting on the proposed Known sequences at the IAC Fall meeting next week but I suspect that the proposed Known sequences will be approved. I'll let you know.

Not to rain on your parade, but the proposed Primary Known sequence for 2017 includes a one and a half turn spin.

For sure. I was specifically addressing the 2016 sequence.

It seems like spins in primary have been discussed for some time, to the point of what seems like feuding letters and articles in Sport Aviation. Wasn't it a point of contention for 2016 as well?

Congrats on the excellent finish, and special kudos for the exemplary sportsmanship you've shown.

Am I the only one who noticed the pink Gill batteries being used for just about the only thing they are any good at doing?!?!? :)

Pats on the back

Great write-ups, and it has truly been the year for RVs in aerobatic competition, and it's mainly Ron's fault. Being a boundary judge at Sebring next to the railroad tracks can be challenging, especially when they park a row of rail cars, and trying to see when the pilots enter the box. As in my first contest, it is not unusual for a competitor to offer helpful suggestions. Everyone will try to help the others out. Now of course, if Ron gives me a suggestion, or I give Ron a suggestion, we know to ignore it since it might not be helpful, but done in jest (joke Ron).:D Just wait till next year!!!!!!!!!
Bill McLean
RV-4 Slider
lower AL

I just returned from my very first aerobatic contest, the Sebring Fall 2016 Aerobatic Championship in Florida and had a blast!

If you?ve ever thought about competing, DO IT!

Speaking for IAC23 (I am on the BOD): Thanks for showing up! Without folks like you, it is just a bunch of people we know handing medals to each other and hearing the same old tired stories! We NEED new blood and the RV series of aircraft are clearly capable.

Primary, an RV can easily win.
Sportsman, an RV I think has an edge over many legacy aircraft like Super D's. Ron Shrek and Bill McLean have shown that; Bill placed 2nd at the US Nationals and Bill is currently in 2nd for the region and Ron is in 5th.
We are going to see what an RV can do in Intermediate when Shrek moves up.

The sportsmanship and fellowship is absolutely wonderful! I met some great people and made some new friends. As far as events go, the Sebring Aerobatic Championship is a very well run, organized, first class event. If you?re in southeast, I definitely recommend this one. They have two contests a year. I am looking forward to more contests throughout the southeast next year.

Thank you, we try to make it fun and welcoming. First weekend in May and the first weekend in November each year we hold a contest.

I have many people to thank and I'm sure I'm going miss a few... Ron Hill, a fellow competitor, that gave me a critical tip during competition.

Minimums.... Go around ;)

And of course my family, especially my wife Ledy for not saying, "What, are you crazy!" and fully supporting me.

Try to bring her next time! My wife is often there and I know Ron S. brought his wife and two dogs once.

You did well, I hope you come back.

Thank you all for your very kind words! I appreciate it very much. With the way RVators are, I'm sure many of you would have done the same. It was an easy decision to help a fellow competitor!

I hope this thread inspires others to give IAC competition a try. I'm glad I did and I'm looking forward to more competitions with my new friends!

Sebring and regionals

Ron H. (Chapter 23) has always been helpful and a gentleman, especially to old people. He mentioned I finished in 2nd place in the regionals with a 83.39 percent. That third place finisher had a 83.36 percent. To me, that's really a tie, but the 2nd place sticker will look better on my airplane. Hope to see Sebring in the Spring 2017, and too much fun.:cool:
Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

Congrats

Jerry, when you came up to Calhoun to see Mark Fullerton I was so excited to see you at our airport and even more excited that you were joining IAC and were going to compete. I already knew that you are a top notch friend and a great pilot but kicking butt like you did in your first competition is just spectacular. I'm so happy for you and wanted to congratulate your accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing you compete in person soon.... Hopefully I'll get to do that soon.

Jerry, when you came up to Calhoun to see Mark Fullerton I was so excited to see you at our airport and even more excited that you were joining IAC and were going to compete. I already knew that you are a top notch friend and a great pilot but kicking butt like you did in your first competition is just spectacular. I'm so happy for you and wanted to congratulate your accomplishment. I'm looking forward to seeing you compete in person soon.... Hopefully I'll get to do that soon.

Thank you so much Amir! Well, I hope to see you compete in person too. You have easy access to a most excellent coach! There have been discussions about having aerobatic clinics or camps in the local area. Expect to see one early next year. See you soon, I hope!

Great Write Up

Thanks for a really great write up Jerry and congratulations on your first contest. I HATE that I couldn't make it to Sebring for the contest! I'll get my back problem fixed up in a few weeks and, after recovery, will be back in the hunt next season. I look forward to meeting you then.

Thanks again!
Randy

Thanks for a really great write up Jerry and congratulations on your first contest. I HATE that I couldn't make it to Sebring for the contest! I'll get my back problem fixed up in a few weeks and, after recovery, will be back in the hunt next season. I look forward to meeting you then.

Thanks again!
Randy

Hello Randy,
Thank you very much! Yes, I'm sorry you missed Sebring. I was looking forward to meeting you. Anyway, I hope your back repairs go well. I'm sure we'll get together next season. I looked up your tail no; beautiful plane!

Open Championship Venues Awarded!

Just got back from the Fall IAC Board meeting in OSH. Good news: Sebring has been selected to host the 2017 IAC East Open Aerobatic Championships! Ephrata, Washington will host the West Open.

Back