What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Fiber Spinner Backplate Questions

Craig23

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,

I am running a Whirlwind 200RV on my RV-8 and just sent the prop back for its 5 yr/650 hour inspection. I also inspected my spinner backplate and found some items of concern. I'm not a fiberglass expert, so I wanted to post photos of the discrepancies here and solicit feedback from those more knowledgable than I.

There are some cracks in the paint or gel coat that I don't believe go through to the carbon fiber, but there are also a couple of spots near edges where a layer of fiber has delaminated and pulled away. Is this something I should be worried about? If it needs repair before flying, can it be fixed with some resin or does the carbon fiber require something more?

Thanks,

21mvqbo.jpg

dn0uf5.jpg

fn6cki.jpg

v4trur.jpg

153tdsx.jpg

When I had my inspections done by Whirlwind, I sent in the spinner and back plate as well, and they did required upgrades.

I have a message out to them too. Wish I would have sent the backplate in with the prop. :(

Last edited:
Dome fit

Craig,
I am installing a new WW spinner and had a few questions.
How is your prop dome to spinner fit?
Is it tight/loose?
Did you have to install the blue tape to get it tight?
Does it show a wear area with a shinny area on the dome? Like a smoking rivet.
Do your plastic washers under the spinner mounting screws stay in place?

Thanks,

Spinner Backplate

Hi Craig,

I assume you have a two piece carbon fiber back plate? If yes, how is your spinner back plate "clocked" relative to the two prop bolt secured mounting plates? Does the split line on the back plate pass between the ends of the metal mounting plates or does the split line overlap the ends of the mounting plates close to the last an3 attach point?? I ask this because WW now sets the "clocking" up so as to have the split line overlap the mounting plates as it provides more stability and less chance for cracks. They used to have the split line go between the plates. If yours is the old way, you might want to call Bill at WW and get the instructions on re-clocking your unit. Please note that their on line install manual still shows the old way but the manuals going out with new props should show the newer way. My new 200RV came with a manual showing the old way although the clocking was the new way on my unit.

Merry Christmas and of course,

Cheers,

db

Back