What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel System Planning

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
I've just reached a point in the construction manual where fuel valves and plumbing is beginning to be installed. I am currently planning on a fuel injected system. Most likely the XIO-360-M1B from Van's. Trying to read up on injection and ignition systems, but coming up with more questions than answers. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Per Van's engine order form, "All engines are equipped with roller tappets, dual magnetos, ignition harness, fuel pump, starter, vacuum pump drive, prop governor drive, and carburetor/injector." (emphasis mine) Does this injector require a fuel return?

I'm leaning towards including the e-Mag option as well.

one suggestion

Might as well put the return line flange on the fuel tank inboard ribs - all else can be done without any difficult mods (plumbing, electric). Plug the flanges if you don't use 'em. Van sells these flanges as 'fuel tank drain flanges'.

BTW Newton makes very good valves - their duplex valves are compact (if you need one).

http://www.newtonsprl.co.uk/

And of course, Ross Farnham supplies a very good fuel system (that uses a return line setup), and an ignition that goes with it if desired.

http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

I do not know if you can delete the stock fuel system and mags on your engine order...

Best,
Mark

Looking Ahead

Thanks Mark. I'm definitely interested in the SDS injection and ignition systems. I may have to upgrade things a little at a time. Start with the Van's stock system and slowly replace as money and time become available.

Michael, plumbing around a duplex selector valve, whether Newton or Andair will be tight. Suggest you plan accordingly!
Tom

Thanks Mark. I'm definitely interested in the SDS injection and ignition systems. I may have to upgrade things a little at a time. Start with the Van's stock system and slowly replace as money and time become available.

The M1B's stock constant flow injection does not need a return line. The single exception would be if you elect to install an (entirely optional) Airflow Performance purge valve, in which case you need a line back to one tank, or to a line feeding from one tank. The purge valve can aid hot starting by allowing the circulation of cool fuel through the system prior to start. No special fuel selector valve is required, with or without the purge valve.

SDS injection does require a return line from the engine compartment to a duplex fuel valve, then return lines from the valve to each tank.

If you elect SDS injection, the sensible choice is SDS ignition. Personal opinion, but with constant flow injection, you should select a stand-alone SDS CPI ignition rather than P-mags, as you get complete control of dual switchable ignition maps, one for best power mixture, and one for LOP operation.

As Mark said, you may wish to install return ports in the tanks while building, as they would be a pain to install later.

Last edited:
I just had to go through the decision of return line or not too. I am most likely going with the stock engine but am putting in the return port on the tank because it is easy to do now. I ordered two of the following:

VA-112 (this is the quick drain fitting that gets riveted on)
AN816-6-2D (this fitting goes from 1/8" pipe thread on VA-112 to 3/8" tube)
AN929-6D (this is a cap for the fittings as I am not planning on installing a return line right off the bat)

Many people run the return line to the second bay but I have seen many people dump into the first bay with no problems what so ever so that is what I am planning.

Same

I just had to go through the decision of return line or not too. I am most likely going with the stock engine but am putting in the return port on the tank because it is easy to do now.

I think I have decided to do the same. While my wings are installed for fitting, I'll select a good location for the return port.

While you are at it, don't forget to drill the corresponding hole thru the side of the fuselage for the (maybe) return line, easy to plug off for now with an appropriate sized grommet (center hole sealed with silicone). The fuselage hole would be awkward to drill later with wings/tanks installed.

Back