What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14 with RV10 wings?

rvator10

Well Known Member
Patron
Tt sounds appealing to have a longer aspect ratio wing like the RV9 available for the RV14 ?
the RV14 is very similar to the RV10 but shorter fuselage and wing, i wonder if the 10 longer wing would bolt on to the 14?
I know just leave well enough alone?
does anyone know if Vans has something like this on the drawing board?
thx

Sounds interesting. I suspect weight and balance would be the big problem, not to mention the power needed with extra weight of the wings, associated structural stresses, etc etc.

The RV-14 IO-390 engine has a hard enough time as it is. Bigger wings would dictate the IO-540 engine. In short, you would be building an RV-10 with just two seats and questionable performance - for a lot more money than just building an RV-10.

The RV-14 IO-390 engine has a hard enough time as it is. Bigger wings would dictate the IO-540 engine. In short, you would be building an RV-10 with just two seats and questionable performance - for a lot more money than just building an RV-10.

Interesting comment. I find the RV-14 with the I0-390 somewhat of a hot rod. It has the same performance or a little faster than the 10 and climbs are really fun. Sometimes I see over 2200 FPM with half fuel and just myself on board.

Vic

I concur with Vic. I did a flight today with full tanks and over 400 lbs of passengers and still was able to climb out at 2000 fpm. Pretty good performance I think. ( IO390 on a 14A)

Perhaps I should have used some caviots with my comment on the RV-14. So some details:
- I use my RV-10 performace as a base line for comparison with other RVs I fly (stock IO-540). It exceeds Van?s numbers.
- I have only flown one RV-14A (stock IO-390). It did not quite meet Van?s numbers. Perhaps it will with some tweaking.

Back to the orginal question - no, do not put RV-10 wings on an RV-14.

Carl

I don't know if the parts will actually mate, but I think it would be an interesting RV-XX if you did. A comfy cruiser, if you will, with even better low speed handling than the -10 or the -14. Might need a bigger horizontal stab, but overall it sounds like a neat idea.

The -9 and the -7 share a fuse, but not the wings and tail, why wouldn't a -10/-14 mashup be a bigger version of the same?

Speaking of RV mashups, somewhere around there is a -6 fuselage mated to -4 wings, with extended chord flaps and tapered ailerons. To further stray from the plans, the airplane had an 0-300 Continental. The owner said it flew very well.

Back