What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin Overtemp

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
Yesterday I needed to be in Hugo OK for work, instead of driving 2.5 hrs why not fly right?
All of the mentoring I've received for the ~8, I must have missed the conversation about covering the canopy if you let it sit all day in the sun.

WOW was it hot !!!!

My G5 said battery failure
G3X screen was sooo hot I could barely read it
IPAD had a thermometer symbol on the screen

I can only assume everyone except me has some sort of cover for the canopy or one of those foil looking windshield fold outs.....what does most RV8 drivers use ????

I either put on the cover, or leave the canopy cracked open a couple of inches when the airplane is out in teh sun - otherwise, everything will melt!

I can only assume everyone except me has some sort of cover for the canopy or one of those foil looking windshield fold outs.....what does most RV8 drivers use ????

I would be worried about a "foil" sun shield reflecting enough solar energy to deform the canopy. :eek:

Possible cure on the way.

Just ordered the Bruce cover, hope it works well.....maybe I will be disciplined enough to use it....getting lazy in my old age.

I had an old car sunshade - foil type - cut it to fit the front windscreen.

For longer than "lunch" parking I use my Bruce's canopy cover.

When I am just a lunch stop I throw up the Foil shade and crack the canopy for ventilation.

Thanks everyone

The Bruce cover will be here in 4 weeks, I will never again completely close slider unless it's chance of rain.........I will be at the mercy of honesty and integrity of all who takes a look inside will leave my Ipad and Bose

I can't describe just how hot it got.:eek:

No need.

When you are from south TEXAS you understand. I have thought about making a small removable mount so that a nice golf umbrella can be set in place on the right side slide rail. For those long lunches and airshow fly-ins.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Dynon GPS 2020 bulged

I mistakenly left my RV-8 in the mid summer Florida sun for 3 hrs....came back to find my glare shield mounted Dynon GPS 2020 bulged up, but still working. I now install the canopy cover if I plan to be parked in the sun any longer than 30 mins.

The Next Step...

...is to buy a Koger Sunshade. I haven't done much hot weather flying in my -8 yet, but I went up yesterday afternoon and felt the heat on the back of my neck and my bald spot!

Canopy lock

Thanks everyone

The Bruce cover will be here in 4 weeks......I will be at the mercy of honesty and integrity of all who takes a look inside will leave my Ipad and Bose

I installed a second piece of aluminum angle, just like the one used to 'lock' the canopy in the closed position, about 2 1/2" aft of the 'fully closed' position so I can 'lock' the canopy with it open about 2". Works great to keep it much cooler, but like others have said make sure it's not going to rain while you are away from the plane.

I also have a Kroger sun shade..

Last edited:
Back