What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-Splat Nose Wheel Strut

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I’m reading about “Anti-Splat” on other RV models with nose wheel. Apparently the nose strut can bend/buckle on some models if not treated with reasonable care. I know the original RV-12 nose fork has a SB for cracks but does anyone know of nose strut weakness? I think perhaps Van’s anticipated some heavy handedness with low-time pilots and made the nose strut beefier on the 12.

The nose strut is unlikely to fail unless the nose fork touches the ground for some reason like a soft runway or nose first landing.
I think that Van's would make the nose strut stronger if they thought it needed it.

I'm sorry if this comes off as blunt or anything, and I really don't mean to ruffle any feathers. But... if you manage to fold up the nose gear on an RV-12 you may want to reconsider whether flying is for you.

Think of it as insurance should you land off airport or on a grass strip that turns out to be quite bumpy. Jesse Saint's -6A landed off airport and he believes the AS Nose Job kept it from going over on its back (picks are posted in another thread).

:: shrug ::

OK. If you feel the need for it, then by all means go for it. Call me crazy, I don't wear a parachute either. :)

Back