What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset static noise

Keldog

I'm running Lightspeed Zulu 2 headsets for both pilot and co pilot positions. On the ground sound quality is flawless. In the air they work wonderful, except that there is a constant static fuzzy sound in both headsets all the time.

I checked the headset DIP switches in the battery compartment of the ANR unit, and all are set to factory settings. How do I know if my panel is stereo or mono output? Could this be the culprit of the noise? Anyone have any experience with this same problem or any suggestions?

I'm running Lightspeed Zulu 2 headsets for both pilot and co pilot positions. On the ground sound quality is flawless. In the air they work wonderful, except that there is a constant static fuzzy sound in both headsets all the time.

I checked the headset DIP switches in the battery compartment of the ANR unit, and all are set to factory settings. How do I know if my panel is stereo or mono output? Could this be the culprit of the noise? Anyone have any experience with this same problem or any suggestions?

I doubt it's the headsets or you would experience it all the time. Check for a loose ground at a headset jack. Make sure the ISO washers are correctly installed and the jacks are tight.

~Marc

Not sure which audio panel you have, but you can try turning the audio panel off and see if it supports "fail safe mode" for the pilot side headphones. Do the fuzzies go away in fail safe mode?

Squelch?

Check you squelch setting on your audio panel. The static you hear when airborne may be air noise being picked up by your mike. Turn up your squelch setting a little and see if it goes away. I made this mistake a few times myself but finally figured it out. ANR headsets allow you to hear stuff you've probably haven't noticed before due to the general noise level.

Back