What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your RV-10 Panel

Nice John, are you doing or have done anything to the carbon fiber like clear coat or anything? I have the CF panel also and wondering if anything should be done for the "natural" look?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi

You should at least put a clear on that has UV protection in it. The resin used in the CF isn't UV stabilized, and could yellow after prolonged time under direct sun.

I wanted the natural look so I had mine shot with a satin clear.

What should be used to clean the cf-- is acetone too harsh? Mineral spirits, or just scuff with scotch bright? Also did you use a rattle can or an automotive type clear?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi

Nice John, are you doing or have done anything to the carbon fiber like clear coat or anything? I have the CF panel also and wondering if anything should be done for the "natural" look?

Dave Ford
Cadillac, Mi

Funny story.... I clear coated it using product supplied directly from Aerosprt. Followed the recommended procedures to the letter. Took quite a few times to get a nice glassy finish. Paint guns are fickle. We sent the panel to Stein to get built, when they were working on it, the finish started to come off. Like huge flakes.... Turns out, Aerosport had a couple batches of panels that got made with the wrong mold release agent. Stein said it had happened to them before where they had painted a customer's panel only to have the paint come off. In the end, they ended up stripping and re clearing the panel and quadrant insert... I must say they did a better job than I did!! I cleared everything else in the plane myself and it came out pretty good. But you can tell which parts I did and the ones done by Stein:D

Funny story.... I clear coated it using product supplied directly from Aerosprt. Followed the recommended procedures to the letter. Took quite a few times to get a nice glassy finish. Paint guns are fickle. We sent the panel to Stein to get built, when they were working on it, the finish started to come off. Like huge flakes.... Turns out, Aerosport had a couple batches of panels that got made with the wrong mold release agent. Stein said it had happened to them before where they had painted a customer's panel only to have the paint come off. In the end, they ended up stripping and re clearing the panel and quadrant insert... I must say they did a better job than I did!! I cleared everything else in the plane myself and it came out pretty good. But you can tell which parts I did and the ones done by Stein:D

This Funny story about Aerosport using the wrong release agent is not true. I am not sure who started this but this is false. We have not changed release agent since the first panel was made. We never had a batch of panels that had the wrong release on them. The problem is poor prep when preparing the carbon for clear coat or paint.

You must first wipe the panel down a couple times with a good wax and grease remover before you ever start to sand on the carbon. If you start to sand first any release that was not removed will get into the carbon and cause problems.

Also you need to use a good automotive clear that will work over carbon fiber.
There are some that are better than others. Also when clear coating carbon or fiberglass you need to also if possible use an adhesion promoter because
there is no primer.

Geoff
Aerosport Products
http://aerosportproducts.com

This Funny story about Aerosport using the wrong release agent is not true. I am not sure who started this but this is false. We have not changed release agent since the first panel was made. We never had a batch of panels that had the wrong release on them. The problem is poor prep when preparing the carbon for clear coat or paint.

You must first wipe the panel down a couple times with a good wax and grease remover before you ever start to sand on the carbon. If you start to sand first any release that was not removed will get into the carbon and cause problems.

Also you need to use a good automotive clear that will work over carbon fiber.
There are some that are better than others. Also when clear coating carbon or fiberglass you need to also if possible use an adhesion promoter because
there is no primer.

Geoff
Aerosport Products
http://aerosportproducts.com

Actually Geoff, it was Stein himself who told me of the issue that he had spoken to you about. He said it had happened on a few panels.
Also note, that as I mentioned, I used clear provided by you guys and followed the prep and spray to the letter. Didn't have the issue on the other pieces like the overhead and center console, just the panel. I prepped and sprayed all of them identical over the same couple of days with the same product.

My new RV-10 Panel

I just received my new panel. Let me know what you think. Yes I know it's red. Lol.
image_zpsblhr30bx.jpeg

Well, that would certainly keep MY head out of the cockpit while flying. It's not the red, it's the yellow. I'd have swapped that out for black. Or possibly red. But the layout is good and that logo in the bottom of the photo tells me you're going to be very happy.

Required matching flight suit :D

ronald.jpg

Seriously though, I like the layout a lot, very similar to what we decided on. I like the symmetric look very much. I'm intrigued by the backup EFIS *and* steam gauge backups. At first glance it seemed a bit "belt, suspenders, and velcro" to me, but I suppose it's hard to argue against additional redundancy in an airplane!

Thanks for sharing!

panel

I think the the color is very nice. It's hard for most to go beyond the standard gray. I would assume it is going to compliment something outside the box in regard to the entire paint scheme.

RV-10 Panel Upgrade with the new AF-5700

I have the Aerosport carbon fiber 310 panel http://aerosportproducts.com/310panel.htm in my RV-10. I swapped out the AF-5500 8.4" EFIS for the AF-5600 10.4" and just upgraded to the new AF-5700 12" as my center EFIS. We have been test flying the new AF-5700 over the last couple of weeks and everyone who sees it is amazed at the dramatic difference a 12" Map screen makes.

25569615693_1d7293f699_k.jpg

25899401440_c4269679a9_k.jpg

25899403420_214a5b1c36_k.jpg

]
25899404220_48fb8e70c0_k.jpg

25540297824_3c621856d3_k.jpg

Our RV-10 Carbon Fiber Quick Panel with the new AF-5700 will be in the booth at Sun-n-Fun so stop by and see for yourself the difference a 12" EFIS actually makes.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Last edited:
Aerosport 310 panel covered with "leather". Also made a fiberglass overlay piece of trim and covered it in 3M vinyl tonight. Just to be a little different and make the center stack stick out a little. Now, on with the guts....

Panel_01.JPG

I have the Aerosport carbon fiber 310 panel http://aerosportproducts.com/310panel.htm in my RV-10. I swapped out the AF-5500 8.4" EFIS for the AF-5600 10.4" and just upgraded to the new AF-5700 12" as my center EFIS. We have been test flying the new AF-5700 over the last couple of weeks and everyone who sees it is amazed at the dramatic difference a 12" Map screen makes.

25569615693_1d7293f699_k.jpg

25899401440_c4269679a9_k.jpg

s
25899403420_214a5b1c36_k.jpg

]
25899404220_48fb8e70c0_k.jpg

25540297824_3c621856d3_k.jpg

Our RV-10 Carbon Fiber Quick Panel with the new AF-5700 will be in the booth at Sun-n-Fun so stop by and see for yourself the difference a 12" EFIS actually makes.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems Inc.
N402RH RV-10

Just a beautiful dash... starting my build in fall of 2017, hard to see how electronics can get any better...

Hi All,

Here is a picture from the glass cockpit of my second RV-10.

fJwheyr.jpg

bTDZSU8.jpg

I'm very anxious for inaugural flying next month!!

I'm using a G3x Touch, 3 display system with TCAS GTS800 and a WX500 Stormscope (very useful here in Brazil). I'm also using TSO Backup Flight Instruments.

In the picture, it is missing the GTN-650, it will go above VHF Radio GTR-225.

Very happy!!!!:):)

Cheers!!
Excelente, nota 10 bom gosto!:)

RV10 with new Garmin G3X

Great looking RV10 panel left the shop today with a very happy owner!

IMG_7704-1200.jpg

RV-10 C-GNCX interior pics

C-GNCX (Gina's -n- Colin's Ten) has completed the 25 hour test phase and everything is functioning as it should.

The panel is built using mostly Advanced Flight Systems/Dynon products. It contains 2x af-5600 displays, remote com radio, autopilot panel (was installed mainly for the auto trim functions it offers) remote sv261 mode S transponder, and an iPad mini in a guardian avionics dock running foreflight, audio panel is the new remote unit from AFS/PS-Engineering, PDA360EX-R. The CPI ignition box is mounted behind the iPad so it's accessible but not a prominent feature. The electrical system is controlled by a VPX Pro that made the wiring pretty simple since it incorporates many of the features that would have required multiple separate modules (flap controller, wig/wag, etc).

I was going to paint the panel light parchment like much of the rest of the interior but Gina wanted to keep the look of the raw carbon fiber. The quality of the carbon fiber work from Aerosport is flawless and deserving of being highlighted so I followed her wishes and shot it with some ppg clearcoat. It turned out to be far too glossy so we sanded it down and shot it with the same ppg clear but added some flattening agent. It now has a nice semi-gloss to satin finish. Rob Hickman and team at Advanced cut out the panel inserts and had them powder coated and silk screened. They look great and fit perfectly the fist time.

The wiring and Arinc 429 module for the ifd540 is ready to go as is the physical mount but I could not convince my wife that we couldn't live without it for a little while so that purchase has been put on hold. Rob cut the panel insert for it so it should be a quick install when the time comes.

The interior pieces were all supplied by Aerosport products. I can't say enough good things about the quality of the products and service from Zac and Geoff. The color scheme was heavily influenced by the new TTX interior. Being able to see similar color combination in Ed Kranz's RV-10 before the design was finalized made it pretty clear that we would like the end result.

20161118_145410_zpsnyrsn9la.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20160913_161014_zpsgcaj2omf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20160913_160601_zpshyddgynk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The RV-10 is a fantastic design that can be equipped to rival the best factory built aircraft out there at a fraction of the cost. It was a busy 20 months of construction and 4 months of paperwork delays but we're pretty happy with the choices we made. On to the exterior paint (and ifd540).

Last edited:
Very very nice.

Colin - that's beautiful.
I'm curious about the electric heat controls. They appear to be similar to Ed Kranz design as well.
After the first 25 hours, what are your impressions?
I have two things in my mind before going that route
1) Fidelity - does fine adjustment matter in the 10 and can these actuators do it?
2) Durability - will they last in the environment?

Nice job on everything, Colin and Gina! I love how the color combo turned out. I am glad that she talked you into keeping the beautiful carbon fiber look! Very Nice!!

Zac

Heater controls

The actuators that control the cabin heat valves are from TCW Tech. They have detents as you rotate the knob and they allow for very fine adjustments. As for the durability, they are good for at least 31 hours, likely more. Kidding of course. These have been around for a while and used successfully from what I've been told but others will have a better idea on their longevity than me.

Last edited:
Silverhawk FI

The mixture lever is there but hidden behind the throttle lever in these pics. The throttle quadrant is the new one from Aerosport Products that's made specifically for their quad arm rest. Everything fit together nicely.

20161121_154752_zpsnj8gzoyx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20161121_150315_zpsrbrupk0t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
PRZNM_01_zpsuf8ff7iy.jpg

PR-ZNM was fully homebuilt. Most RV-10s that are flying in Brazil (not all, but most of them) were built by a company and sold to end users. We (me, my old man and my younger brother) preferred to do it the best (not hard !) way and fully homebuilt it.

I am an electronic engineer and it was a joy wiring the panel for our 10. I flew to AEA in Lee's Summit, Mo. and attended a few courses that helped me acquire the right knowledge to tackle this task. It was awesome to work with both passions of mine: airplanes and electronics.

We are currently building the first brazilian RV-14A. I'll post pics of it whenever the panel is powered up.

Ricardo
SBFI/IGU
Brazil

Last edited:
Ricardo,

What is that center display? I don't recognize it.

Hi Kyle.

That's an Apple iPad mini, mounted on an Airgizmo mount. We installed it before Garmin made VFR charts available on the G3X - which were loaded in the iPad using a brazilian app before that. We have Garmin Pilot running on it also. It's a small and inexpensive backup which we didn't have to use yet - and do not plan to do so.

Ricardo
SBFI/IGU
Brazil

So, sometime back I fried my VP200 units just in time to find that Ballard had stopped supporting the system. Thankfully, that was before I had completed my installation, so I sent it back to Aerotronics for rework. While the VP-X system is not as nice (I was really looking forward to the mode switching and being able to operate my system from outside the aircraft using the key fob), it still does the basic job though the lack of circuits meant I needed two VP-Xs and also displays to operate them since the G900X does not support Vertical Power. The solution? Replace my Dynon backup EFIS with two GRT Sport system, one slaved to the other and each supporting one of the VP-X units.

Kelley.11.jpg

Earlier this week a large package arrived at home; now I can finally get this project back on track. Many thanks to Aerotronics for all their help. The phone shots in my living room are not the best, so I'm also including a shot of the system in test at Aerotronics. Now, on to installation (after the semester is over)!
IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

DSC08723.JPG

Patrick, great looking panel. A couple of questions: Did you use two VPX Pro's or regular models? Curious how many circuits you have/need that required two VPX units! Does the G900X have internal WAAS? So no need for a TSO'd GPS for IFR use?

Two VP-X systems. I'd have to look at the chart for circuit breakdown, but there's a lot going on in my panel. Two Lightspeed ignitions, A/C, Oxygen, AOA, four EFIS, two alternator circuits, plus the usual round of lights, incl. cabin lights, etc. One VP-X wouldn't cut it.

The G900X is WAAS and the transponder is ADS-B ready.

Two VP-X systems... ....Two Lightspeed ignitions

For what it's worth, my lightspeeds are very specifically run separate from the VPX in my plane. They each have their own independent runs to the battery, and each have a pullable breaker on the panel, per the LSE design guide.

But everyone has different design goals...

As for not enough circuits on a single VPX pro, I had the same issue. I ended up using a 6 fuse block for some of the non-critical circuits, and fed that fuse block with one circuit on the VPX.

For what it's worth, my lightspeeds are very specifically run separate from the VPX in my plane. They each have their own independent runs to the battery, and each have a pullable breaker on the panel, per the LSE design guide.

But everyone has different design goals...

As for not enough circuits on a single VPX pro, I had the same issue. I ended up using a 6 fuse block for some of the non-critical circuits, and fed that fuse block with one circuit on the VPX.

I like the way you did that. :)

Vic

Does the G900X have internal WAAS? So no need for a TSO'd GPS for IFR use?

Do not confuse WAAS (practically all GPS boxes these days use wide area augmentation system) with the TSO (145/146) required for use as an ifr navigator. To my knowledge no EFIS has that TSO.

Do not confuse WAAS (practically all GPS boxes these days use wide area augmentation system) with the TSO (145/146) required for use as an ifr navigator. To my knowledge no EFIS has that TSO.

Page 46 (2-6 by their chapter/page numbering system) of the G900X Installation manual specifies that the system is compliant with TSO-C146a if the system includes the GIA-63W unit (WAAS capable) or TSO-C129a if it includes the GIA-63 (non-WAAS capable). I can't speak for other systems, but now you know of one. I'm pretty sure the G1000 and probably the G3X are also TSO compliant.

G3X no, certified stuff from Garmin, yes. I'm not familiar with the 900, so do not want to misspeak (although it sounds the same), but the G1000 is basically like having a remote mounted 430W controlled through the EFIS. It is not merely an antenna using a GPS signal (WAAS enabled or not) such as would be the case of an experimental EFIS without a TSOd navigator.

N165MJ's Panel Came To Life Last Night!

So I was really hoping to wait until the panel is "done" to post it here, but last night I got to a point I'm pretty happy with so I figured why the heck not? :)

Biggest thing yet to do is the lightplates, right now the labels are just printed at home on adhesive labels. Hoping to start on them between all the fiberglass work that's piling up!

A quick summary of the airplane and panel/electrical system:
  • RV-10 #41537 N165MJ, standard build started March 2014
  • G3X Touch 10" x3
  • G5 Backup EFIS x2
  • GTN750 COM1/NAV1
  • GTR200 COM2
  • GMA245 audio panel
  • GTX45R transponder
  • GMC307 autopilot controller
  • Lightspeed Plasma III ignition x2
  • True dual electrical system (2x PC680 batteries, BC460H and BC4623H alternators with external linear regulators)
  • 12Ah SLA backup battery mounted behind panel integrated via custom isolator board
  • Circuit breakers and custom fuse/relay center along underside of panel
  • Custom LED-backlit lightplates made from CNC-machined acrylic (still in development)
  • Custom annunciator panel and sensor board partially integrated with the G3X system (still in development) to surround the GMC307
  • Custom-designed flap, oil cooler damper, and ram air controllers
  • Custom nav/strobe/beacon lighting and controllers
  • All wiring and custom circuitry designed and built in-house
  • I can't post this without saying avionics and many supplies purchased from SteinAir, Inc. ... as I'm sure everyone here on VAF already knows, they are awesome guys to work with and highly recommended!!!

_rsmcpz4RzWTDjEFJU3scQjaySzRz4XNSNsOijD2-M5vaPmHqfza0o3bSeFyXh-krxJjalqc71pPyu59LYHHPySpDGJdfW_-YhB8EhbPz8GLcAr3wshP4JiojoSwApiCmpXWML0J7LgrmjUpcmAHkfZO9FzIPqXEKrakAlGF0JdKZ2I96xZbO1uudOGuDpK5LCcvLxmP0rau0lcpw21Rm3YA_sOJZrCriQILm-Spmm46T_EWUikJcL-9i1zMZ5e-sgJOuCLxeiGAYQtj5h4_l2se2UTY8DBmouttt94oOTJMhtcxDBLa3FylvsEPJ4vKzwoaP6tbhbc8Dm-OwhZthINZw4lyPMtIh0qR6nffa8EZZOheMtUJxhr8-Jn-90DJLWW5C2e_eKI-JO6dHGtZkYaVXmCHytDcfZIMP_SqMtJzwiI9WbOg6Q8zwgH8UNx8XpXJoZSc69o-VhFPHLl912hBjH7adDU1Q2bZnkE_BialSNCwGoDfUUApORUBRQnpdMszTEL69VUDAUL0wYt9pZn-ch1fDTKoQvMhZXMhTm81roDwulu3AH9LU55l981op1enhVFh50fvVWV1CujPCuIqMw9j22PihEJvemQdhprUu178sN0_7gVU4DrIb3jRwNBu3cwwNijJQYjndn-iIZS385LVBdX592XZYP0Grio=w1299-h974-no

That's a great set-up for a two pilot family! Or for IFR instruction!

I'm planning to go with a symmetrical panel as well but you've definitely raised the bar in terms of redundancy for a dual pilot setup!

Nice job. Now get back to that build log! I've had to severely curtail my cyberstalking:)

Holy moly!!! That is impressive! I am curious as to why you chose 2 G5's.

Thanks Todd! Saw some pics of yours in for paint, looking great as well :) I went with two G5's for two primary reasons, neither of which I'd consider a "must" but I figured hey... we've come this far.

First, one of the primary missions of this panel was to be symmetrical such that a person can fly comfortably as solo PIC from either the right or left seat. The idea here is that Sarah will likely always sit in the right seat, but with the flip of a reversion switch her MFD becomes a PFD, and she can fly solo without having to reach or lean across the cockpit for anything important. There's even a push-to-start button on her side to supplement the key switch which is way over on the left side. So, naturally if a standby EFIS is ever needed, it would be massively difficult to try and fly from the right seat and be looking at the G5 on the far left side of the panel.

Second, the second G5 adds a third AHRS device to the system, serving as a tie-breaker should one begin indicating differing information.

Nice job. Now get back to that build log! I've had to severely curtail my cyberstalking:)

I know I know... I should :( I've really let it go WAY too long, and now I'm behind the power curve and it's going to take a massive amount of time to get it all up to date again. I'll try and maybe make a couple posts to catch a few of the bigger points up in the next few weeks. Appreciate the feedback though, it's good to know I had people watching! :)

Mike--cool beans! Look forward to seeing you guys at Osh. We won't be at the RV-10 dinner on Sunday as we've decided to go the HBC Beer tasting instead (dang schedule conflicts!) but we'll definitely be at the RV social on Monday.

Mike, that is truly a stunning panel!! Great job, can't wait to see all the fine details in person some day.

Back