What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans fuel handle

scorwin

To all of those that have used the newer vans fuel handle (VA-178B), how did you get the handle onto the fuel handle shaft (VA-178A)? I would have to sand down the shaft to get it to fit.

http://[URL=http://s377.photobucket.com/user/scorwin75/media/2015-10/BACDB511-160A-49C7-A995-54D5DA2602D0_zpsiyksglnx.jpg.html]
BACDB511-160A-49C7-A995-54D5DA2602D0_zpsiyksglnx.jpg
[/URL]

I don't recall any issues getting the handle to fit on the shaft. Try going around the end of the shaft that goes into the handle with a scotchbrite pad and see if that removes the interference.

Last edited:
I decided to use sandpaper and make it fit. It moves in/out easily now but the handle does not lift easily. If I look into the center of the handle shaft, the screw is not centered in the shaft (it's offset).

I think I have a bad handle. The hole where the screw goes into it is off about 1/32s. So the alignment with the shaft is off.

Anyone else notice this on their kit? Should be a simple assembly but isn't working out that way

Take a picture of the installed handle and send it to the factory. They will verify the quality of the part and act accordingly, I bet.

May just get the Andair one

Figuring the handle isn't drilled right, I used a #30 reamer and drilled the handle so it would work as advertised. Now the selector moves up/down easier. Put it together on the cover, to see how it would work with the set screw.

Honestly, not that impressed. It still doesn't move down into the proper location and feel secure.

May just buy the Andair one and be done with it.

FS20X7T with 6" extender is what it looks like most people are getting. 90 degrees is what I like better than 180 personally. Will call Tom tomorrow to see if I need to change anything with the fuel lines.

I decided to use sandpaper and make it fit. It moves in/out easily now but the handle does not lift easily. If I look into the center of the handle shaft, the screw is not centered in the shaft (it's offset).

I think I have a bad handle. The hole where the screw goes into it is off about 1/32s. So the alignment with the shaft is off.

Anyone else notice this on their kit? Should be a simple assembly but isn't working out that way

The lower hole on mine was off, but rotating it 180 degrees fixed that. I haven't gotten the handle on the shaft yet, but when I was playing with it, it wouldn't just push on so I figured I'd need to ream the hole a bit and sand the shaft.

Hmmm. I wonder if there has been a batch made with some quality problems as mine didn't have the issues noted above (and I have the stock plumbing setup), but is probably 4 years old or so.

33290102411_1680952ff1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. I wonder if there has been a batch made with some quality problems as mine didn't have the issues noted above (and I have the stock plumbing setup), but is probably 4 years old or so.

33290102411_1680952ff1_b.jpg

Todd,

Did you make the indicator plate under your valve, or where did it come from?

Lynn

Todd,

Did you make the indicator plate under your valve, or where did it come from?

Lynn

From Van's: http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-390&browse=airframe&product=fuel-valve-plate

It has to be modified by enlarging the center hole to use with the stock for the RV-10 fuel selector setup. One of these days I may CSK the attach screw holes for flat head screws, but for me that gets into "perfection is the enemy of good enough" territory and at this point there's other stuff I'd rather be doing. :D

From Van's website:

Description

Engraved plate attaches under fuel valve lever to indicate tank in use. Can be fitted to all RVs (except the RV-10 &12) using standard valve supplied in kit. Mounting hardware not supplied: may vary depending on installation.
So the center hole was the only difference?
I was never sold on the Andair, so this may push me over the to keep the standard valve and save a couple bucks.

From Van's website:
Description

Engraved plate attaches under fuel valve lever to indicate tank in use. Can be fitted to all RVs (except the RV-10 &12) using standard valve supplied in kit. Mounting hardware not supplied: may vary depending on installation.
So the center hole was the only difference?
I was never sold on the Andair, so this may push me over the to keep the standard valve and save a couple bucks.

Yep -- just the center hole. You decide where and how many mounting holes to drill. 4 is probably overkill but I figured 4 would be necessary to have it sit as flush and even as possible on top of the carpet.

Thanks, I had ordered the red handle from Van's, then found out it wouldn't work, maybe they'll let me return it and I'll give this a try.

Lynn
From Van's: http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...-390&browse=airframe&product=fuel-valve-plate

It has to be modified by enlarging the center hole to use with the stock for the RV-10 fuel selector setup. One of these days I may CSK the attach screw holes for flat head screws, but for me that gets into "perfection is the enemy of good enough" territory and at this point there's other stuff I'd rather be doing. :D

Doesn't seat well either

I reamed it out. Got it so the handle lifts. Mounted it on the tunnel cover and it doesn't seat well/lock into position. May still be from the handle or shaft having issues though. Ill mess around a little more and see if a new day can make it work

FWIW, I used the Vans supplied fuel selector for 2 years. Every time I would change tanks I would cringe and hope the shaft, the pin or the valve would not break or come loose. I restricted my fuel tank changes to happen over an airport.
I finally succumbed to the Andair selector. What a difference. Nice smooth operation and much nicer looking installation..... I have never looked back....

Back