What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Requirements for IFR Certification

tomagin

Now that I have started putting the 40 hours on my RV I'm starting to think about IFR certification -- ie static and txp check. I ran into someone who does IFR certs and mentioned that I will need one in the near future on my RV-8. He very quickly said that he would not certify anything that was not TSO'd --- with reference to my Dynon EFIS and or non-TSO'd "steam" altimeter. I'm confortable with what I have given that the Dynon has an ADI backup for attitude and the Falcon Altimeter for backup plus of course the 430W and 496.

The question is --- Is this guy just setting his own standard or is there any requirement that I must go out and buy a TSO'd altimeter plus a TSO'd encoder [at the moment the Dynon feeds the data to the Garmin 330 TXP].

I do not see anything in the FAR's that specify that the altimeter and encoder be TSO'd. In my case the primary box for both would be the Dynon D-180.

Now that I have started putting the 40 hours on my RV I'm starting to think about IFR certification -- ie static and txp check. I ran into someone who does IFR certs and mentioned that I will need one in the near future on my RV-8. He very quickly said that he would not certify anything that was not TSO'd --- with reference to my Dynon EFIS and or non-TSO'd "steam" altimeter. I'm confortable with what I have given that the Dynon has an ADI backup for attitude and the Falcon Altimeter for backup plus of course the 430W and 496.

The question is --- Is this guy just setting his own standard or is there any requirement that I must go out and buy a TSO'd altimeter plus a TSO'd encoder [at the moment the Dynon feeds the data to the Garmin 330 TXP].

I do not see anything in the FAR's that specify that the altimeter and encoder be TSO'd. In my case the primary box for both would be the Dynon D-180.

If you have the transponder in the aircraft, the transponder check NEEDs to be done if you want to use it even if you are flying VFR. The check needs to be done every two years if you wish to use your transponder.

The requirement is that the equipment meet the TSO but they do not need to be TSO'ed. When he does the check, he will be verifying that they preform to the TSO. If they pass, he can certify the system. If they fail, you still need to pay for the test.

I have been using the Rocky Mountain microEncoder with my KT-76A transponder for over 12.5 years. IT has passed the certification requirements for 91.411 and 91.413 every time it has been tested since first flight in September 1997.

I just had my pitot/static certification done about a month ago and they do not need to be TSO'd but the guy mentioned that almost all the non-TSO'd gauges that he has tested failed.

I have GRT for the screen and it was amazingly accurate, he tested them up to 20000 and the max that was off was 5 feet.

My TSO'd Altimeter was as much as 25 feet off at some point.

Are Marker Beacons required,....

Sort of related subject,.. just wondering if Marker Beacon Indicators are required to pass the IFR Cert ?

Bill S
7a finishing

Find someone else

I couldn't find anyone in Boise that would sign off on my Advanced Flight Systems unit. One day when I was flying to the Portland area (and on Rob's advice), I called up Pacific Coast Avionics to see if they would do the check. I called on a Friday night and left a message that I would be in on Monday morning. When I showed up on Monday, Chris Brand fit me in his schedule and had it done by noon the next day...my scheduled departure time. Very good service...and goes to show that it's best to find someone who is familiar with the avionics that we put into our Experimentals.

No requirements for TSO'd compenents. It seems to be getting more and more previlant that shops are becoming "scared" on working on anything with an experimental sticker. I had FSDO ASI advise me that I might want to shy away from inspecting experimentals because it really opens up my liability. I think the fact is, is that some in the FAA really just don't like experimental.
But I agree, just find someone who will work with what you have installed, they are out there.

How can we find someone?

How do you find someone that will do this? Anyone know of someplace reasonable in the southeast?

Thanks,

Hi Greg....

...I have used Abbas Avionics when they were located in Augusta, Ga. for transponder checks and encoder adjustment. I understand that they've opened up a big, new facility in Aiken, S.C. Maybe some of the KCUB EAA chapter will verify this...or you can call information for their phone #

Best,

Sorry,I forgot to leave his number, 276-322-5360 or 304-887-4684, my number is 423-736-0265 I am across the hill from you at Flaglor field,(8tn4),I could also use a static ck if he is going to be in the area,he also goes to TRI and does some work at Wysong,thanks.Bob.

Find someone else

The guy who did it on my airplane before I bought it refused to do it on the dynon.

The last one (last year) did it on the dynon and said it was the most accurate he had ever done.

Time for a whitepages list?

Maybe Doug would be up for a whitepages listing on VAF for this if we have enough interest?

Big plug for this guy...

I got this guy's name from the matronics list and emailed him asking for help: Tom Jasper of Landmark Aviation

This is what he replied to me:
"I can help. I have worked with various Vans RV series doing initial certs. Travel to come to you alone (unshared) is 300.00 and the cert runs 360.regular price. I come with all my shop backing and certification from Landmark aviation Winston Salem crs# PAIR208A. Feel free to call or email if you would like me to help. I would encourage you to have someone else that may need an IFR cert also to help share travel fees for the day."

I didn't have anyone else at the time, and so I flew to his place, Charlotte Monroe Exec, and got it done.

He went above and beyond, when my static system had a leak (at one of the quick disconnect fittings in the BACK was loose), he fixed it on the spot, after checking all the fittings on the back of my panel, and then retested it. Gave me a printout showing me all the altitude and airspeed errors, all well within tolerances and passed my bird.

If you get a bunch of guys together for this, or any other avionics issue, he would make it worth the travel pay, and cut the rate to $300. He told me at least 5 for this discount.

He does other stuff too, avionics stuff and will come to you. I highly recommend him.

tjasper"at"landmarkaviation"dot"com
704 219 8761

1) per FAR part 21 all aircraft operating in US airspace must comply with appropriate regulations...
2) Sec. 91.215 ATC transponder and altitude reporting equipment and use.
(a) All airspace: U.S.-registered civil aircraft. For operations not conducted under [part 121 or 135] of this chapter, ATC transponder equipment installed must meet the performance and environmental requirements of any class of TSO-C74b (Mode A) or any class of TSO-C74c (Mode A with altitude reporting capability) as appropriate, or the appropriate class of TSO-C112 (Mode S).
Note "U.S. registered civil aircraft" - that's us. Also note "must meet the performance and environmental requirements". Your 24 month altimeter, static system, transponder system certification does not address all parts of the necessary TSO requirements unless your class1 technician specifically tests and certifies that it does meet all requirements above and beyond those specified in appendix E and F of part 43.

Bottom line: to fly legally in US airspace where a transponder is required you must be able to document and show that you have complied with all the requirements of the appropriate TSO authorization. You can hire a DER and get a field approval or you can buy a "TSO'd" transponder and encoder system.

C.hofacker- Welcome to VAF!

You're mixing the transponder and altitude reporting requirements. The paragraph you referenced is about the transponder itself, not the altitude encoder. I don't think anyone is suggesting you can run a non-certified transponder, but the encoder is a different device, and has it's own rules. Note that 91.215 makes no mention of C-10b or C-88, which are the altitude encoding TSOs.

91.217 corresponds to the altitude encoder:

Sec. 91.217 ? Data correspondence between automatically reported pressure altitude data and the pilot's altitude reference.
(a) No person may operate any automatic pressure altitude reporting equipment associated with a radar beacon transponder?

(2) Unless, as installed, that equipment was tested and calibrated to transmit altitude data corresponding within 125 feet (on a 95 percent probability basis) of the indicated or calibrated datum of the altimeter normally used to maintain flight altitude, with that altimeter referenced to 29.92 inches of mercury for altitudes from sea level to the maximum operating altitude of the aircraft; or

(3) Unless the altimeters and digitizers in that equipment meet the standards of TSO-C10b and TSO-C88, respectively.

When you use an EFIS as your altitude encoder, it always matches your primary altitude reference to 100%, all the time. It's all digital connections. So all you need is a test, which is what the transponder check is.

Canadian IFR Certification

Is there anyone here from up North who knows what are the requirements to certified an A/C for IFR in Canada?

I've got all the Avionics required as far as I know and know about Transponder and Static test but what else is required?

Thanks

Bruno
[email protected]

Easy

Send Tom Martin a PM.

The basics are that you make an entry in your journey log and or tech log that the required equipment has been installed AND tested. You need the PS system and encoder certified within the same time intervals as any certified AC. Then you pay TC when you make application and show them your log book.

Tom can help you with the fine print. Also Kevin Horton.

Good Luck!

Back